Thread: The good guys thread

Hybrid View

Alaska: Where the odds are good, but the goods are odd.
    Bare??? Bear?????

Ask your vet about microchipping. ~ It could have saved Kuhio's life.

Boy swims 1/2 mile to rescue family

BENZIE COUNT, Michigan -- Quick thinking by a 14-year-old Benzie County boy may have saved the lives of his family after their boat capsized on Crystal Lake Sunday.

Logan Snyder said when the boat overturned and his family went in the water, he made sure they were okay and went into action.

“I reached under [the boat] and got more life jackets and I swam to shore after that,” said Logan.

That's when Logan's journey to shore began.

“I was swimming backwards and I took a 30-40 second break and I kept on swimming and stopped about four times. Then I got to shore, finally, and I looked around and I found a person and I was like ‘I need help big time. My family is out there,’” said Logan.

After drifting down the lake and swimming for more than half a mile, Logan found Bill and Laurie Harris.

“They needed help. We're the only ones along here that were actually home,” said Laurie Harris who helped rescue the stranded boaters.

Bill took his boat out to rescue Logan's family, nine month old Aubriana and her 28 year-old mother Krista and 29 year-old father Jeff.

“My husband said he took on water with our boat coming in, so it was pretty rough,” said Laurie.

When the family got to shore they were greeted with towels after spending nearly one hour in the water.

“When they came in the mother was definitely crying. I think they were kind of in shock not realizing, believing what had happened. The baby was crying but as soon as they checked her out… she was fine and then she was happy as can be and the mom was just very relieved,” said Laurie.

“I started crying,” said Krista Witherell, rescued boater and mother of nine month Aubriana. “My baby is going to be okay. Logan is okay. We're all okay.”

As the weather warms up and people take to the water, authorities say it's important to always remember to wear a life jacket. If something goes wrong you can buy time for emergency responders to rescue you.

From People Magazine:

Like any other dog, Oscar Madison loves to run and chase his canine pals at the park. But unlike other dogs, Oscar wheely gets around.

In place of his hind legs, Oscar makes his way around with the help of a wheelchair, and happily joins his fellow four-legged friends in a boundless display of endearing energy at a New York City park.

With his drooling grin and flopping ears, it's hard to imagine this precious pup was ever abandoned, and then put on death row by animal services. But NY Pet-I-Care, Inc. found Oscar a happy home, and now, "he can run as fast as any other dog," says his owner on Facebook.

By the looks of it, his two-wheel drive probably makes him the one to beat at the dog run!

Kiehl's Crème de Corps
    This luxe body lotion is a treat for the skin -- and for the eyes, with packaging designed by artist Kenny Scharf.

Plus, 100% of the proceeds benefit RxArt, a nonprofit that fosters expression with art programs for children in pediatric hospitals.

Buy it now at kiehls.com, $30

Police officer rescues fledgling owl from roadway

SAGINAW, MI (WNEM) - A local citizen is drawing attention to the act of kindness shown by a local law enforcement officer after he rescued a young owl in peril.

Sandy Miner, a volunteer with the Wild Life Support Team, stopped by the Saginaw police station to express her gratitude for Sgt. Mark Scott's rescue of a screech owl.

Miner said that two nights ago, Scott was working in the southeast side of the city when he came across a fledgling owl in the roadway. He scooted the owl away from the road so that it wouldn't become road kill, only to come back and find it in the roadway again the next night.

Scott then contacted 911, who reached out to Miner's organization and sent her out to help the bird.

"I think it's important for people to understand that police officers are compassionate too," said Minor. "Sgt. Scott didn't have to stop. This owl would have died if Sgt. Scott had not come to the rescue. It hasn't been eating and that's why it couldn't fly away."

The Wild Life Support Team has been in operation for 33 years and has a facility to house and help the animals they rescue - but it is not open to the public. The group does not rescue mammals. Miner said she specializes in the rescue of big birds and is state and federally certified to do so.

The Golden Hat: Talking Back to Autism Book
    This touching book was a passion project for Kate Winslet and her friend, Margret Ericsdottir, whose son is living with nonverbal autism. The book features candid portraits of celebrities and their answers to the question, "What is important to you to express?"

Proceeds from the book go to building innovative living campuses for people with autism and raising public awareness of their talents and intellectual capabilities.

Buy it now at shop.goldenhatfoundation.org, $30