Army Lt. reunited with dog after 3 months overseas

PHOENIX -- It's been three months since Army Lt. Charles Smith and his dog, Peanut, have seen each other.

“It's been very emotional leading up to this day, so when I walked through those doors and saw him ... I was speechless,” Smith said.

Three months ago, Smith was deployed overseas and didn't know what to do with his dog.

“Thinking that you have to surrender your dog is never a good feeling, so I called and they told me about Project Active Duty," he said. "It was such a relief to know that he would have a home while I was gone."

Project Active Duty is a program put on by the Arizona Humane Society and PetSmart to care for and protect animals of those who are protecting us around the world.

Elizabeth Wells fostered Peanut while Smith was away.

“I definitely wanted to be a part of this program because he is military, and I don't want to have to see anyone have to give up their beloved pet for any reason, especially for serving their country,” Wells said.

“It's definitely good that there are programs like this in place," Smith said. "I'm going to share it with my soldiers and let them know that there is this opportunity. If they have pets they'll be able to take advantage of it."