Thread: The good guys thread

Hybrid View

Alaska: Where the odds are good, but the goods are odd.
    Couple who met in a homeless shelter pay it forward, help others transform lives

Homeless for three years, Ressurrection Graves vividly remembers the week she slept in her car, waiting for beds to become available at a Washington, D.C., homeless shelter. It was the week of Aug. 23, 2011, when a 5.8 earthquake shook the Virginia area and Hurricane Irene battered the East Coast with wind and rain.

“I prayed and was asking God how this could end,” she told TODAY.com. “It was like, 'Make it stop!'"

When beds finally became available at the shelter, Ressurrection checked in. And there she met Deven Graves, the “kind” man with whom she would leave homelessness behind and start an organization that is helping people caught in a cycle of poverty, including more than 75 homeless individuals so far this year.

“I had this guy staring at me,” Ressurrection recalled of her first encounter with Deven. “It felt like he was looking into my soul. It’s certainly not what you’re expecting in the environment I was in.”

In an interview with TODAY's Lester Holt on Saturday, Graves added to the story and said she "certainly did not go to a shelter to look for a man," but the pair had an instant connection that she called "magical."

Deven, a veteran, had a difficult time making the transition from military to civilian life. That and the death of a family member left him feeling “a little bit lost,” Ressurrection said. He was living at the shelter while working construction jobs and looking for something more permanent.

Deven wooed her over a game of chess, and asked if she would edit his resume. As an entrepreneurial-minded mother who owned her own massage business before she fell on hard times, Ressurrection was impressed. But she didn’t want to get serious until they were out of the shelter.

It didn’t take long. After a month, Ressurrection and Deven saved up enough money from their jobs to move out. Their first date was “romantic and affordable,” a picnic at a park near the water.

Five months later, Deven proposed. They decided to hold a wedding ceremony on a day of special significance: the 50th anniversary of the March on Washington for Jobs and Freedom and Martin Luther King Jr.'s "I have a dream" speech.

So on Aug. 28, 2013, two years to the date after Ressurrection and Deven played their first game of chess, the couple exchanged vows on the steps of the Jefferson Memorial as they heard President Obama's voice echoing across the water during his speech at the Lincoln Memorial.

“I felt nothing but peace and joy,” Deven said. “It was a blessing.”

They celebrated the union by giving back to the homeless community. After the ceremony, the wedding party handed out sandwiches to homeless people who frequented two nearby parks. Everyone prayed together, cried together and hugged each other.

“Some of our guests had no idea what we really went through or what our experiences were,” Ressurrection said. “That outreach gave them a way to see inside our experience a little bit.”

The couple's giving didn’t end with sandwiches. They co-founded Glory Soldiers Global, a nonprofit dedicated to ending homelessness and poverty. One of their programs provides counseling and, when funds are available, financial resources to help the homeless find a place to live. Another organizes community “housewarming” parties that provide renters with essentials like cooking utensils and bathroom supplies through donations.

They want to give people the means to undergo “a total transformation." And in that spirit, Ressurrection is also a source of emotional support for community members as a mentor for victims of child sexual abuse.

“While I was homeless I realized that there was a correlation between child sexual abuse and adult homelessness,” Ressurrection said. “Both of those things have happened to me in my lifetime, and I didn’t realize how they were interconnected.”

Ressurrection speaks at colleges around the country, and the couple's efforts have been featured in several publications, most recently in FOX5’s pay it forward column. A memoir penned by Ressurrection about her experience will be re-released next month. (It was originally published in 2011.)

On top of all that, Ressurrection has been participating in a common parent ritual: college applications. Her daughter, now 18, has already been accepted to two universities.

Life is stable again — though it took some time for the couple to reach that point. They live in a house together, and Deven has a full-time job that provides for his family. Special financial programs for veterans also have proved helpful, and the couple encourage other veterans to explore such options.

“It was a blessing to have Ressurection come in my life,” Deven said, adding that he's relishing his new role helping others who haven’t overcome homelessness yet.

“People can feel rejected, or they feel a sense that no one cares or understands,” he said. “It’s a wonderful feeling for me to help them see that people really do care and other people have compassion. That’s one thing we need more of in this world, compassion.”

Ask your vet about microchipping. ~ It could have saved Kuhio's life.

What a lovely story, and a fabulous wedding picture to share, too! Too many veterans end up homeless because of what they have been through, and getting back to regular life is a struggle.
    I've Been Frosted

Wilmington woman starts college fund for homeless teen

WILMINGTON, NC (WECT) – A woman from Wilmington is doing all she can to help a teen in need by starting a college fund for a homeless teen from South Carolina.

Kendal Benjamin is a 17-year-old who says homelessness is his reality, but not his label. He lives in a shelter and became homeless after his mother lost her job.

Emily Wetzel saw Kendal's story on our website, and said she was inspired and wanted to help.

"There's so many people that need help and we feel bad and we walk by them, and we don't do anything about it," Wetzel said. "You never know what could happen and you would want someone to do the same for you."

Wetzel started a college fund for Kendal last week. She says she raised almost $500 in the first two hours and is looking to raise a total of $5000 for him.

You can make a donation to the fund at http://www.gofundme.com/7d94go.

High School Wrestler's Touching Gesture After Loss Moves Crowd to Tears

There is always joy in winning, but Minnesota high school wrestler Malik Stewart proved there is sometimes even more glory in graceful defeat.

The sophomore moved many inside St. Paul's Xcel Energy Center to tears last week after he lost a state high school wrestling championship to fellow sophomore Mitchell McKee, yet poignantly embraced his opponent's father, who is battling terminal cancer and given only months to live.

"I got a little teary because I lost the match, and I knew the hard times he was going through. The crowd went wild and I heard a couple people say after I did it – that was pretty classy – but I just did it straight from the heart," Stewart told NBC affiliate KARE in Minneapolis/St. Paul.

The young wrestler knows the pain of losing a father while young all too well: His own father died when he was just 7 of a heart attack.

Stewart's ultimate show of sportsmanship sweetly stunned many who watched it and knew the McKee family's struggle. His inspiring act was particularly appreciated by his opponent.

"It was a big match for him and to be able to hug my dad like that and not be mad and storm off like a lot of kids do," said McKee. "Really respectful."

Already, Stewart's mature display is being touted as a model of sportsmanship by other coaches who watched the heartwarming scene.

"The whole crowd gave a standing ovation, not just for the STMA wrestler and his father, but for Stewart, who understands what true sportsmanship is," T.J. Anderson, an assistant wrestling coach at Minnesota's Dassel-Cokato Middle School, wrote in a letter to Stewart's school district.

"Mr. Stewart is a model wrestler that we can all use in our examples of what a true athlete is."

WCCO Viewers Help ‘Cupid’ The Dog Get Needed Surgery

MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) — A rescued puppy is able to spread the love he’s received thanks to WCCO’s viewers. On Saturday night, we introduced you to a 3-month-old hound named Cupid.

The rescue group Ruff Start took him in, knowing he’d need surgery to fix his deformed front paws. Azure Davis, the rescue group’s founder, couldn’t turn him away and neither could anyone who saw his story.

“It’s just crazy to see how generous people are. We are so thankful,” she said. “As soon as the story aired, $5,000 to $6,000 came in with 48 hours.”

Ruff Start Rescue was hoping to raise $6,000 to cover Cupid’s surgery and therapy costs. University of Minnesota veterinarians will perform surgery to correct his deformed front paws early next week. He’ll have splints then undergo therapy.

As for the hundreds of adoption applications that poured in, Davis said it’ll be at least two months until the rescue reaches back out to homes that may be a good fit.

Nearly $8,000 has been donated to Cupid’s therapy fund. Ruff Start is using the extra money collected to help other rescues that need medical attention.

“It’s been great,” Davis said, of receiving the financial support. “It makes us feel like we can take on dogs like this. That we can help the unfortunate dogs. We want to save them all, but taking them on can put them in a tough financial spot.”

Among them, a 10-month-old Chihuahua named Little Waffles.

He’s suffered seizures since they took him in last December. Medicine hasn’t been successful and blood work suggests he suffers from an autoimmune disorder. Extra tests are needed, but are expensive.

Ruff Start Rescue finds homes for 160-180 dogs and 60-70 cats at any given time. Since it doesn’t have a shelter, all of the pets live at foster homes until a permanent family finds them.

Oke is a pitbull who’s been waiting for a home for the last two years. He’s an energetic and loveable dog, but needs allergy shots, which can be an extra cost that makes it hard to find a home.

Davis said Oke would be best with a family that has older kids and no dogs or female dogs. He’s big, strong and full of energy. Since they don’t have a foster home for him, he’s been living in a boarding house for the time being.

“We’re hoping to get his story out there and find him someone. That perfect family we know has got to be out there, somewhere, looking for him too,” Davis said.

Like the pets they save, big or small, Ruff Start Rescue knows donations at any amount are gifts filled with love.

“$10 here. $10 there. It adds up. Everything adds up,” Davis said with a smile. “That makes us be able to save these little dogs that there’s no way otherwise we could. So thank you.”

Ruff Start Rescue is still accepting donations to help Cupid’s medical fund.

For more information about donations or adoptions, visit the links below:
    Cupid’s Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/cupidssecondchance
    Cupid’s Fundraising Page http://www.razoo.com/story/Cupid-Mak...-More-To-Come?

Man Donates Kidney To Cop, Then Cop Repays The Kindness

A Minneapolis police officer wants to give back to the man who saved his life.

Carlos Baires Escobar had been on the waiting list for a kidney for two years. In January, 20-year-old Sebastian Rivera saw a Facebook posting detailing Baires Escobar’s story. Rivera then donated a kidney.

And every day now, Baires Escobar shows signs of healing.

“These guys miss me, so it feels good to be back,” he said.

On the job for six weeks after a kidney transplant, the daily routine brings new meaning.

“Slowly, my body has been adjusting to the new organ, and I’m feeling great,” Baires Escobar said.

He found health through a Facebook posting and a 20-year-old unlike any other.

“Without any reservations, he just decided to help somebody who he didn’t know,” Baires Escobar said.

Rivera says he doesn’t regret the decision at all.

Pain and a long recovery didn’t stop him from offering an organ. It was a gift that came with no expectations.

“Helping someone out, just because…it should be a normal thing, you know,” Rivera said.

But a good deed doesn’t go unnoticed, and Rivera needed help of his own.

Winter weather caused him to crash his car right before the organ donation surgery. He’s also been out of work for recovery for weeks, he and can’t afford the thousands needed to fix his car.

“So I decided I should do something about that,” Baires Escobar said.

The Facebook page where the police officer once asked for an organ, now includes a plea to help Rivera.

“I just want to give him something back for something I could never pay for,” Baires Escobar said. “It feels good to help people. It feels good to say, ‘You know what: I’m going to help you.’”

If you’d like to help donate to the fund set up for Rivera, you can donate to any US Bank branch under the Help a Hero fund.