Page 56 of 62 FirstFirst ... 64647484950515253545556575859606162 LastLast

Thread: The good guys thread

Alaska: Where the odds are good, but the goods are odd.
    Stranger's generous tip makes visiting Korean War vet's day

MOUNT PLEASANT, S.C. (WCIV) -- Visitors at Patriot's Point Wednesday may have noticed a group of Navy veterans touring. It was part of a reunion for those who served on the U.S.S. Hyman.

It's always a memorable time for these sailors, but for one in particular it will always stand out in his mind.

The U.S.S. Laffey is the last destroyer of its kind left. It is very similar to the Hyman, which John Reilly served on during the Korean War.

“Kind of brings back some memories, the good old days,” said Reilly, who served on the Hyman from 1951 to 1955.

And talking about the good old days is one of the things that he enjoys the most about these trips.

“Unfortunately, the time I was on it there is only three of us that come to the reunion where the others are gone or couldn't make it, but it's good to see and talk to the guys and reminisce and tell sea stories,” said Reilly.

But on this trip he has another story to tell, a much more recent one about generosity.

“My family and I were having supper at the local Red Lobster, and it was a young couple diagonally across from us finished their meal and a gentleman came over and said, 'I want to thank you for your service,'” said Reilly. “I get that quite a bit. He said, 'I would like to help pay for your meal' and he put the bill down on the table. I said thank you and off he went. I figured it was $10, maybe $20. I opened it up; it was a hundred dollar bill. We were floored, great city with Charleston.”

But then they were floored again when a manager gave them gift certificates for their next visit to the restaurant.

“Made me feel great, glad I came,” said Reilly.

And all of the veterans are glad they came. Dick Leitch came all the way from Indiana.

“I saw the Laffey at Okinawa when it was hit, shortly after it was hit. This whole super structure was completely gone,” said Leitch, a World War II veteran who served on the Hyman.

It's stories like this he loves to share with his loved ones.

“I'm 94 years old and I love every day. I hope I live to be 100, and I hope to come back to several more reunions,” said Leitch.

And for all these families, reunions like these are priceless as they hear the sea stories first-hand from their loved ones. But for the Reilly family, it's also the generous tip that they will always remember.

Ask your vet about microchipping. ~ It could have saved Kuhio's life.

RANDOLPH (CBS) – They are the gifts Mike Grinnell and his family wanted, but didn’t think they could afford.

“It means a lot to give my son something for Christmas when we’ve struggled so much,” Grinnell says.

A toy crib for his niece, an activity play set for his 18 month old son Aiden and a tablet for his wife. More than Mike could afford right now, but suddenly they are here on his table, and he doesn’t even know who to thank.

“I just want them to know what they did matters and what they have chosen to do with money is an amazing thing,” Grinnell says.

He put the stuff on layaway at Walmart for Christmas, and he didn’t think he would be able to afford it, until Walmart called him and left him a message. They told him someone acting as a Secret Santa paid off his bill and he was free to come get his toys.

“We were shocked and floored and almost didn’t believe it,” Grinnell said.

This father couldn’t believe his luck because they haven’t had much of it lately.

“My wife’s been out of work fighting Hodgkin’s Lymphoma and so I’ve been working various second jobs to make ends meet,” he said.

But now, thanks to a stranger who calls himself Santa, this dad won’t have to work extra shifts, to give his family a Christmas this year.

“It’s just amazing cause the tough time we’ve had the couple last years, it’s really nice and a sigh of relief the presents are all set this year,” he said.

http://boston.cbslocal.com/video?aut...lipId=10929626

27-Year-Old Donates All Scratch-Off Ticket Winnings To Animal Shelter

DALLAS (CBSDFW.COM) - A 27-year-old who won $500 on a scratch-off lottery ticket, is giving all his winnings to the city shelter at Dallas Animal Services.

Bryce Vucekovich surprised shelter workers on Saturday, when he arrived with a pickup truck loaded down in food, litter and other necessities for the dogs and cats living there.

“I always kind of told myself, I always want to give to them if I ever come across extra money,” he said.

Vucekovich, who lives in The Colony, says he was inspired to give to the Dallas shelter because he found his own shelter dog, a three-legged mix named Fred, there last Christmas.

“I don’t think anybody wants to adopt a three-legged dog, but I made a bee-line for him,” says Vucekovich, who also owns a one-eyed dog. “That’s my goal in life is to have a bunch of adopted rescue dogs.”

With more than 600 dogs and cats waiting to be adopted or fostered, the shelter is always in need of donations, says manager Teresa Cleek.

She says Vucekovich’s donation is heart-warming, especially in this season of giving.

Vucekovich says he never considered keeping his winnings – he always told himself if he ever had extra money on hand, he’s pay it forward to the shelter.

“Just the mass amount of animals they have there, it can’t be easy to manage all them,” says Vucekovich.

It’s a blessing to say the least, for the shelter, which stays at capacity most of the year.

http://dfw.cbslocal.com/video?autoSt...lipId=10933657

'Layaway Angel' Pays for $20,000 Worth of Toys

Linda got the surprise of her life on Wednesday when Toys 'R' Us called her to let her know that the gifts she'd put on layaway had been paid off – by a stranger.

The "layaway angel," as she is being called, spent $20,000 at a Bellingham, Massachusetts branch of Toys 'R' Us, paying off more than 150 accounts, the Milford Daily News reports.

"I thought, 'You have to be kidding me,' " Linda told the paper of the moment when she heard the news. "I almost wanted to cry. It was only $50, but to me that's a lot of money, and that someone would go and do that gave me chills."

She added: "What she did was so caring and thoughtful. I feel like I was part of something special – touched by an angel."

The individual in question wishes to remain anonymous, but employees describe her as "bubbly older woman" who said that she would "sleep better at night" by doing the good deed.

And she's not the first: So-called 'Layaway Santas' are on the rise after a story by the Associated Press highlighted the do-gooders in 2011.

Girl battling rare cancer inspires local high school

EAST BOSTON (WHDH) - A sick little girl is inspiring a lot of people and on Tuesday, it paid off.

Three-year-old Alisha Savage is battling a rare form of brain cancer. Her family decided to move all the way from Ireland to Boston to get the best treatment they could.

She’s only 3 years old, but Alisha has already had an impact on so many lives.

“It touched our hearts. It's very special to use. We went through ordeals like this,” said Robert Anthony, hockey coach.

Alisha and her family moved to Boston last month so that she can receive treatment for AT/RT, a rare and aggressive form of brain cancer.

When members of the East Boston High School hockey and baseball teams heard about Alisha's story, then knew they wanted to help.

“So many of us have been touched by cancer…we came to the decision to donate the money to her,” said Anthony Bruno, senior.

A $5,000 donation; money the teams raise every year to go towards cancer research, but this year they voted unanimously to give the money to Alisha and her family.

“I don't think words can describe it. To come from as far as we have and to receive this kind of response is amazing,” said John Savage, Alisha's father.

John Savage and his family don't have insurance, so they are paying for Alisha's treatments out of their own pocket and it's going to be a long and expensive battle.

“We're more than appreciative of the funds and she's gonna need them. Hopefully we can get the result we're all looking for,” said John Savage.

It's a big check for this little girl with a big heart as she continues her fight against this horrible disease.

Aww, that's good! Gotta love when kids step up, especially a hockey team, as they do not have the best reputation in general!
    I've Been Frosted

There's a wonderful story on the front page of the Trenton Times. 13 year old Jordyn Cascone is working towards her Girl Scout Silver Award and decided to do something for pets. Jordyn is aware that many homebound senior citizens on a fixed income will feed their pets before they eat themselves so she decided to create "Jordyn's Cause 4 Paws" and works with Meals on Wheels of Trenton/Ewing in delivering a bag of pet food once a week to clients who have pets. This great program started in October and each week Jordyn "...puts together food bags tailored to the individual needs of 11 dogs, 15 cats, and one fish. The food is provided through donations and purchase." Jordyn said, "I organized this program because the companionship of pets plays an important role in the quality of these recipients' lives. I was very happy that Meals on Wheels of Trenton/Ewing was so open to working with me on my project." The article goes on to say that the Banfield Charitable Trust gave a $2,500 grant to Meals on Wheels to get the Cause 4 Paws program started.
    It was wonderful to see this story on the front page, exactly where it belongs. This wonderful young lady deserves a lot of credit and recognition for her understanding of the importance of pets to seniors and doing something positive to help. I'm definitely going to make a donation to this program. Anyone wanting more information can go to JordynsCause4Paws.org
    FIND A PURPOSE IN LIFE.....BE A BAD EXAMPLE

Police officers in Kansas City surprise motorists (source: Huffington Post)

In Kansas City, flashing red and blue lights had drivers seeing green earlier this month, after an anonymous wealthy benefactor enlisted sheriff's deputies there to pull over motorists, then hand over $100 bills instead of tickets.

The $100,000 giveaway was the brainchild of a wealthy Missouri businessman, known only as "Secret Santa," who donates similar amounts of money each holiday season. This year, reports CBS, he trusted officers to seek out drivers in need, as indicated by the condition of their vehicles, then hand out money.

The heartfelt gesture brought many motorists to tears. But it wasn't just drivers who benefited -- "Secret Santa" hoped the sheriff's deputies would earn some joy, too.

"As tough as [the officers] are they have hearts that are bigger than the world," "Santa" told CBS.

A similar campaign in Lowell, Mich., funded by UP TV, also provided unsuspecting drivers with Christmas gifts earlier this month, ultimately furnishing around $8,000 worth of handouts to 50 motorists in need.

"Most of the contact police officers have with the general public is on a traffic stop, and you can find out a lot about that person in that 10 to 15-minute window," Lowell Police Chief Steve Bukala said, explaining the project. "We got this idea, what if we could change that person's day in real time?"
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Years after death, wife gives husband final Christmas gift

David Schmitz knew his wife loved him, but she confirmed the depth of her affection and fondness for him and their children with a surprise gift this Christmas — two years after she died from cancer.

The Iowa father of four received the gift after being called into a Des Moines radio station, KSTZ, for a popular, decades-old program held every year in which the station grants Christmas wishes to listeners.

“I didn't have an idea what it was about,” Schmitz told NBC’s Mike Taibbi.

A letter, written two years ago from his wife, had made its way to the radio station and was read on air.

“Hello, my name is Brenda. When you are in receipt of this letter I will have already lost my battle to ovarian cancer,” the letter started.

In the summer of 2011, Brenda had asked a friend to send the letter anonymously to the station once her husband had found a new love, just as she had wished for him. This year, David got engaged to Jayne, who has two children of her own.

Brenda had three wishes on her list, including one for her children’s new stepmother.

“First, for David’s new life-long partner, a day or better yet, a weekend, of pampering in all aspects of her life. She deserves it,” she wrote. “Make her smile, and know her efforts are truly appreciated from me. Thank you. I love you, whoever you are.”

Her other wishes were for a night of food, drink and fun for the Mercy Hospital staff that took care of her while she battled ovarian cancer.

Her third and final wish was for a magical vacation for her husband and his new blended family at a place "where they all can enjoy their company and companionship as a family and create those memories that will be with them forever."

The radio station granted all three wishes, sending David and his extended crew to Disney World.

The entire experience left him and Jayne stunned.

"It almost makes me speechless," Jane said. "She's making me feel special."

David said he was in shock, but not surprised by Brenda's final testament to her love for him and his children.

“She was very down to earth, a loving mother, a terrific wife,” he told the radio station.

I heard this story on news radio ... it made me want to go somewhere on United Airlines (Terminal 1 at O'Hare) just so I can get there early to hang out with the dogs! (LCC stands for Lutheran Church Charities)

LCC K-9 Comfort Dogs Partner with United Airlines to Bring Comfort to Holiday Travelers
    Fantasy Flight Terminal Picture yourself at one of the world's busiest airports at one of the largest airline terminals trying to get home the few days before Christmas. Now picture 48 LCC K-9 Comfort Dogs greeting thousands of passengers over a four day period before Christmas. We're not sure it's ever been done before but we are excited to partner with United Airlines on Saturday, December 20 through Tuesday, December 23 from 8 am - 4 pm in Terminal 1 at Chicago O'Hare International Airport!
    Thousands of people will be flowing through the terminal on their way home and the Comfort Dogs will be there to help calm and comfort. Follow us on Facebook each day to see us at work.
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

This touched me today as a friend is at his first PTSD session this morning.
    Gentle friend, I can't remove the horrors you've seen during your service to our country, but I will do my best to build happier memories for the future.

Titusville vet, family surprised with furniture, Christmas tree

TITUSVILLE -- A soldier and his family broke down in tears when they saw what total strangers did for them in Titusville.

Monday morning Jon and Emily got a Christmas surprise.

A truck filled with thousands of dollars worth of furniture, presents, and of course, a Christmas tree arrived at their house.

This family is struggling. Jon said he was hurt in Iraq.

“For any wife or spouse out there... knows that after deployment you are just so thankful for them to come home, even dealing with the PTSD fight,” Emily said.

They said they had been living in and out of their car for a time.

“We actually stayed at rest stops overnight," Emily said. "We were living in rest stops.”

The couple met George Taylor at a support group for veterans.

“I just asked him a question, you know, are you ready for Christmas?" Taylor said. "And he hesitated and said no.”

The answer was no because they were just getting by, sleeping on air mattresses in a bare apartment.

When George heard their story he wanted to help.

So he contacted several area groups and everyone pitched in – donating furniture, cash and presents.

This family said they’re happy to be together and grateful for the generosity of so many strangers.

"We brought things today to make their lives more comfortable so they can sleep and have a Christmas," said Dana Blickley with the National Veterans Homeless Support. "What they bring to us is their service to this country.”

Maldini's restaurant invites homeless to Christmas day meal

RICHMOND, VA (WWBT) - A restaurant in south Richmond is serving up the giving spirit, opening its doors to anyone in need of Christmas dinner. Maldini's Restaurant owner Marcello Armetta invited homeless people to enjoy a warm meal with his own family. Visitors packed Maldini's all Christmas day, sharing in the warmth the family cooked up willingly, for strangers.

Armetta says this year he wanted to share his blessings and teach his young boys an important lesson, through example. "Some people don't even have a house... (even) food… Thank God that you have everything," said Armetta.

Armetta, his wife Rhenda, and their sons spent Christmas bringing joy and food to nearly 100 people. Volunteers donated toys for the taking, and helped serve and clear tables, refilling plates- particularly for children who seemingly had no where else to go.

"You know how some kids pick food? (The children who came in for a meal) didn't pick. They ate," said Marsha Gayot, who helped Maldini's serve the homeless.

Wilson Clemons is homeless. Clemons decided to stay and help out at Maldini's, the entire day.

"For (Armetta) to open up his restaurant, especially on Christmas day, and bring his family in… and just open up pretty much his heart to the homeless is absolutely incredible," said Clemons.

Christmas wasn't always an easy day of celebration for Armetta. He immigrated to the U.S. 17 years ago from Italy, speaking no English. Armetta began washing dishes, and worked his way to ultimately owning his own restaurant, with revered Italian food.

"It took a lot of hours, and a lot of work," continued Armetta.

Now, Armetta is displaying his rewards through compassion, a message he continues to demonstrate for his sons. "Learn from this to share when you can, help when you can, and try to make this world better," said Armetta.

Armetta and his wife say they are going to try to serve Christmas dinner, every year.

Pass It On: Earning Her Wings
    She was set to use her frequent flyer miles to visit her family, but when she learned she could give the miles to a wounded solider, she had a change of heart.
    By Mary Ann Leone, Allentown, Pennsylvania

Finally, I’d accumulated enough frequent-flier miles for a free ticket home to see my family! I couldn’t wait!

But that changed when I saw a news story about Fisher House, which provides lodging near military hospitals for families of injured soldiers. Scrolling through the Ways to Give section of fisherhouse.org, I spotted the “Hero Miles” program.

You could donate your frequent-flier miles to provide round-trip tickets to service members who are wounded or ill and need to travel home but aren’t eligible for government-funded airfare. The troops can also use the program for air tickets so their loved ones can visit them in the hospital.

Now there was something else I couldn’t wait to do. After a few clicks, my miles were donated. A week later, I got an e-mail saying someone had booked a flight with my miles. It didn’t seem so bad to have my wings clipped, because my heart soared.

American Hero: Jas Boothe Fights for Homeless Women Veterans
    Her non-profit organization, Final Salute, has helped over 300 homeless women vets and their children

Army veteran Jas Boothe is living proof that everything happens for a reason. After deploying to Iraq and serving her country faithfully, tragedy struck every part of her life.

In 2005, she was living in New Orleans when Hurricane Katrina destroyed her home and all of her worldly possessions. Just one month later, she was diagnosed with an aggressive form of head and neck cancer. After two surgeries and 30 cycles of radiation, Boothe won her battle with cancer.

But more bad news was on the way. After 13 years of service, her position with the Army was downsized, leaving her with no job and eventually, nowhere to live. “I was homeless for about 6 months,” says Boothe. “When I got out of the military hospital, [the Army] basically said, ‘Bye. You’re no longer our problem.’ That was such a kick in the teeth for me.”

“I felt worthless. I felt thrown away. That was probably the hardest thing that I’ve ever experienced.”

Fortunately, Boothe had family and friends who helped her get back on her feet. After seeing a homeless woman veteran who was living out of her car featured on The Oprah Winfrey Show and hearing that there are an estimated 55,000 homeless women veterans in America, Boothe decided to act.

Hours later, she launched what would become Final Salute, her non-profit organization to provide safe housing for homeless women veterans and their children, a service not readily accessible to women veterans—the fastest growing population of the homeless—Boothe says.

“Over 60% of the programs that take in veterans don’t take in women or don’t take in women with children or they have age limits on the children or they have limits on how many kids you can take.” That’s not the case with Final Salute.

In just 3 years, Boothe’s organization has supported more than 300 women in 15 states. She and her husband and their young son have also added another member to their family temporarily, a little girl whose mother is currently serving in Afghanistan.

For Boothe, however, the goal is not to help more women and their children, but for there to be no more women and children for Final Salute to have to help.

“My ultimate goal is: I want to be out of business. [Final Salute] is not a career plan for me. We don’t need more houses for Final Salute, we need less homeless women veterans. I don’t want any veteran, male or female, to have to be homeless on American soil.”

At the 2014 D.C. stop of Oprah Winfrey’s Life You Want tour, Boothe was surprised with the Toyota Standing O-Vation award, a grant of $25,000 for Final Salute. The award, she says, is confirmation from God.

“I always say that God gives you a mission but He doesn’t give you a blueprint, and so you just have to find yourself along the way. But this [award] is validation from God that I am on the right track and I’m doing the things that He asked me to do.”

Boothe is challenging Americans to do the same and champion the cause of our homeless veterans.

“This is not a military issue, this is an American issue. We as Americans have to do something for our veterans.”

Unfortunately, she is far away from her ultimate goal to end homelessness for women veterans.

“I don’t think I’m done. The military has drawn down and there are going to be a lot of people out of jobs, a lot of mothers out of jobs. Women and children still need our support.”

As long as this is an American problem, Boothe will be there to support and advocate for these women and children whom she considers her family. “We’re military women so we have that common bond. We’re all still sisters. We’ve all served, we’ve all sacrificed, we’re all on common ground.”

“I’ve been where they are and I think they respect that, because I don’t see them as a project or something to pity. I’ve been there, and that’s why I’m doing this.”

For more information on Final Salute, visit FinalSaluteInc.org.

Animal Control rescues dog stuck in a jug

SKY VALLEY, Calif. - U.S. Marines are often referred to as jarheads, but on Thursday, a dog in the Sky Valley area must have taken the nickname literally as animal control officers had to rescue him from a tight spot.

According to officials with Riverside County Animal Services, the black and white male Labrador-shepherd mix was found roaming as a stray in the Sky Valley area on Thursday. A concerned resident reported the strange sight and two officers showed up to assist the pooch.

The officers saw the dog's head was stuck inside a large, cylindrical plastic jug. You may have seen a similar container at the grocery store filled with snack items like pretzels or cheese balls.

"Plastic containers, especially ones that used to have food in them, are curiosity magnets for critters," said Riverside County Animal Services Commander Rita Gutierrez. "This is another major reason why people shouldn't litter, and of course, why people shouldn't let their pets roam freely."

Lt. Luis Rosa and Officer Gerald Duchene cuaght up with the dog along Lyons Boulevard. According to the release, Lt. Rosa was forced to use a tranquilizer dart because the dog would scurry away every time they would approach him. Once he was sedated, officers were able to safely remove the jug from his head.

Veterinarians at the Coachella Valley Animal Hospital in Thousand Palms examined the dog and he appeared healthy, despite having his head stuck in a plastic jug in temperatures that reached 105 degrees. Animal Control said he wouldn't have lasted much longer in the heat, and obviously wouldn't have been able to eat or drink anything if they weren't alerted to the situation.

"We do not know how long he had that thing on his head, but it couldn't have been a comfortable situation in this terrible heat," Lt. Rosa said. "We were very happy to be able to help him out of a jam."

Commander Rita Gutierrez said she once had to pull a child's toy teapot off a skunk's head. "Not only is littering terrible for the environment, but our pets and wildlife get curious and sometimes that curiosity can lead to serious injuries, or even death, all because of the trash people discard.

According to officials with the Coachella Valley Animal Campus, if an owner doesn't come to the shelter to claim the dog, people can adopt the pet sometime next week.