Thread: Feeling blue....a rant on aging....

Hybrid View

Hi guys! I wanted to pop in and post an update. After i started this thread, Malone's hot spots got worse.....and hubby and i had a long talk. We decided that we aren't satisfied with the answers the vet gave us. Mark did a TON of research....and discovered that the food he has been on for years and years changed formulas in the last 6 months. Grrrrrrr! It never had corn in it, and now corn was at the top of the list. We have known since he was a puppy that he is sensitive to corn. So, he did tons of searching, and we just finished switching him. And the exciting part?? We have a brand new dog.....no more anal gland issues , his hot spots are healing, he is much more playful.....I KNEW SOMETHING WAS WRONG! Don't distrust your instincts and intuitions!! And I am thankful, so thankful!!!!

I lost my old sweetie, Mickey a couple years ago to old age and yes, it was hard to watch her age. As her hearing and sight diminished, she stayed close to me on walks instead of being 20 ft. ahead of me. I had to take it as it was...this is how she was then and enjoy that she could still walk and smell and hear (sort of) everything around her. I guess I had to focus on how she was at that time of her life and not so much on that she was older and I would lose her in the somewhat near future. We still had wonderful walks and playtimes but just different than before. I know you feel that pain already, just try not to focus on it completely. You can't ignore that they're getting older of course but enjoy and make it the "new normal" with the changes.

Quote Originally Posted by Cookiebaker View Post
    Hi guys! I wanted to pop in and post an update. After i started this thread, Malone's hot spots got worse.....and hubby and i had a long talk. We decided that we aren't satisfied with the answers the vet gave us. Mark did a TON of research....and discovered that the food he has been on for years and years changed formulas in the last 6 months. Grrrrrrr! It never had corn in it, and now corn was at the top of the list. We have known since he was a puppy that he is sensitive to corn. So, he did tons of searching, and we just finished switching him. And the exciting part?? We have a brand new dog.....no more anal gland issues , his hot spots are healing, he is much more playful.....I KNEW SOMETHING WAS WRONG! Don't distrust your instincts and intuitions!! And I am thankful, so thankful!!!!
    That is so good! As a human with food allergies and sensitivities, I always read ingredients before buying anything. The shorter the list the better!
    I've Been Frosted

Wow, this is such great news, Anna!! Way to go to both you and Mark!!! I've always loved Malone, such a handsome, sweet boy <3 It makes me so happy to hear he is doing so much better!

Gosh, I've seen the hot spots and lethargy with food allergies in my bichons, I just never gave it a thought to mention it for your Malone. WELL DONE figuring out the issue and solving the problem. SO happy your doggy feels better. HOORAY!!

Quote Originally Posted by Cookiebaker View Post
    Yay yay yay!!! As the Dr's I work with say, "Age is not a disease". For someone to assume that something is an age-related issue isn't appropriate (some ailments are related to aging, but not all, so never assume!). I am SO GLAD you guys dug a little deeper and found the cause!!!!!!!

facebook

7. I too,, havent posted here in ages but i just wanted to say you have my sympathies an i know how you feel as Kirby is now 13years old.
    all we can do though is try to make sure that theyre happy an comfortable. past that theres not two squats we can do about aging =/

glad you guys caught the food thing an that doing an feeling much better =D

Anna, I'm so happy to read you discovered the reason for most of your golden boy's problems was a simple one and easily solved. Sending {{hugs}} and love all around.

Good for you for discovering there had been a change in ingreds in the dog's food. I am so glad your dog is feeling better... hope it continues.