Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Documenta Visit (more pics, met Barbara and Siegmar, #15)

Documenta Visit (more pics, met Barbara and Siegmar, #15)

Okay, this is probably really boring for most of you, but if you're interested in art, you may find it interesting. As far as I'm concerned, I guess I'm more interested in taking pictures of it. Documenta is - as far as I know - the biggest and most important exhibition of modern arts in the world; it's taking place every five years in Kassel, only 25 kilometres away from me. I went there yesterday, but only saw two of the many venues; I was really exhausted after that because it was really hot, and the air was so muggy inside the museum Fridericianum. I took almost 500 pictures in total but wasn't happy with the results. Guess I could have done much better if I wasn't feeling so dizzy and tired. Also, I feel I didn't pay enough attention to the art itself which I'm regretting now.

I started my tour at an old railway station which is now called Kulturbahnhof ("Culture Station"). I like that place, but please don't expect me to explain the pieces of art I saw there! lol

This is no art, but I liked that gate:

Last edited by Kirsten; 09-01-2012 at 03:55 PM.

Here, I played with the focus:

No art, but a puddle I liked:

Museum Fridericianum, the "main" venue:

Occupy camp in front of Fridericianum, not an official part of the exhibition, but they were there right from the start. For me, they are the most interesting part of the entire Documenta thing... They call themselves "dOCCUPY Kassel 2012".

Inside Fridericianum:

More Documenta impressions:

Karlsaue park, where I was spending more time at my first visit in June:

What a fascinating exhibition to begin with, not to mention everything going on around it.. and as always, Kirsten, your pictures have captured this brilliantly and so completely.

Thank you so much!!!!!! I felt almost as if I was there!

Pat
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

yes, you have an eye for art and life. I love the shots of those reflected in the glass. Interesting. Almost like double exposure from the old days.
    Anne
    Meowmie to Lucy Lou and Barney, and Aunt to Timmy (RIP)

Former kitties now in foster care: Nellie aka Eleanor van Fluffytail (at a Cat Cafe), Lady Jane Grey, Bob the Bobtail, and Callie. Kimi has been adopted into another family that understands Siamese. HRH Oliver Woodrow von Katz is in a Sanctuary.

I'm Homeless, but with resources, and learning to live again.

RIP Timmy (nephew kitty) May 17, 2018, Mr. Spunky (May 10, 2017), Samwise (Dec 2, 2014), Emily (Oct 8, 2013), Rose (Sept 24, 2001), Maggie (Fall 2003)

Kassel is in the middle of nowhere but every 5 years they have this exhibition which is the most important contemporary art exhibition in Germany and then it becomes vibrant, urban and international. I'll be there next weekend and cannot wait.
    Your pictures really capture the mood!

Quote Originally Posted by Barbara View Post
    Kassel is in the middle of nowhere but every 5 years they have this exhibition which is the most important contemporary art exhibition in Germany and then it becomes vibrant, urban and international. I'll be there next weekend and cannot wait.
    Your pictures really capture the mood!
    That's right, Kassel is really exciting these days! So many people from all over the world, all the different languages that you hear... Really nice!

Pat and Anne, thanks for taking the time to look at these pics! :9

Hi Kirsten,
    Extraordinary pictures, as always! This looks like a fascinating place to spend a day with your camera. Your pictures not only make me want to go and experience this, seeing all of your pictures gets this dreary Monday morning off to a great start! Thank you so very much for sharing your camera art with us. When I see a post from you with pictures, I know we're in for a real treat!
    FIND A PURPOSE IN LIFE.....BE A BAD EXAMPLE

Quote Originally Posted by momcat View Post
    Hi Kirsten,
    Extraordinary pictures, as always! This looks like a fascinating place to spend a day with your camera. Your pictures not only make me want to go and experience this, seeing all of your pictures gets this dreary Monday morning off to a great start! Thank you so very much for sharing your camera art with us. When I see a post from you with pictures, I know we're in for a real treat!
    Thank you for taking the time to look at these pics - and I'm glad it made your Monday a little better!

Found this blog yesterday, written by someone from New York about her Documenta experiences. Very interesting to read how someone from so far away perceived a town that's so close to my home:
    http://www.theparisreview.org/blog

Kirsten, some of your pictures made me think I was right there, they are so realistic. I enjoy each time you post your beautiful photo's. Also I was surprised to see some of the text was written in English. Thanks for sharing.

"Happy is the home with at least one cat" - Italian Proverb

Every life should have nine cats. – Anonymous

"I've been frosted."

Quote Originally Posted by redbird View Post
    Kirsten, some of your pictures made me think I was right there, they are so realistic. I enjoy each time you post your beautiful photo's. Also I was surprised to see some of the text was written in English. Thanks for sharing.
    Thank you! Well, there are many visitors from all over the world, so English is a common language in Kassel these days. Besides, many of artists are from different countries as well, and so is the organizer, Mrs. Carolyn Christov-Barkagiev; she's half American, half Italian, as far as I know...

Returned to Kassel today to meet Barbara and Siegmar who came from Bavaria to visit the Documenta exhibition. We spent a nice and sunny afternoon in the Karlsaue Park, really nice!

I was allowed to take pictures:

Guiseppe Penone's stone in the background:

Some more impressions:

The Occupy Camp

I thought this was cute!

This was somewhat strange:

...and here, we agreed that this was the ugliest piece of art that we have seen so far...