I enjoy reading the magazine sections that show trends as expensive designers present them and how they get reinterpreted for normal people. They'll show one look complete with $200 shoes, $1000 handbag, $600 skirts, etc. and then they'll show a similar version in $40 shoes, $70 handbag, and a $20 skirt. Voila -- Reality!

While at the docotr's office yesterday I was reading a magazine I never look at. Their splurge vs. steal section.... welll..... $180 for a grey and orange jacket is a steal? I thought that was the splurge! A bunch of ladies and I had a great time laughing about it in the waiting room. None of us would even consider spending that much on a jacket that wouldn't be worn every day (it was a work-type blazer) and we especially wouldn't get it with bright orange piping

I am the Queen of bargain hunting. I have to be! Most of my tops/sweaters are under $10 and are brand name... Preswick & Moore, Jones NY, Izod, and my favorite: Van Huesen. I just search the racks once a week or so..... and only buy once it hits the right clearance price. I might walk out with nothing for a couple weeks at a time, and I might hit paydirt and walk out with 5 new tops for $5 each when the original price was tagged somewhere between $40 and $80. I hit the mother-lode last month when I bought 3 pairs of tailored Briggs pants for $1.99 each (size 12 at that -- I'm a size 12 and started at a tight size 22!!!! insert happy dance here)

My idea of a splurge is spending $15 for a sweater I really wanted and watched the price since the day it came into the store. I was soooo mad at myself when it hit $7 and still had my size AND color but I wanted it so bad that I wasn't going to take the change it sold out in my size.

What is your outlook on shopping? I just can't justify spending money on clothes and shoes. I have no problem spending $60 on cat food each month. I don't balk at $30 worth of litter. I HATE spending money on clothes when I know I can always find it cheaper!