Quote Originally Posted by Lady's Human View Post
And my point remains the same.

It's not the tool that should be feared, it's just an inanimate object.

It's the person using it who should be feared.
I agree! Someone has suggested that people are afraid of guns...I suppose some are. Some people are afraid of heights as well. Or public speaking.

I will say what I AM afraid of - people who have guns. Especially people who feel the need to take their guns out in public. And even more afraid of people who feel the need to own military style guns. That does not mean I cower in my home afraid to go in public places. It just means I do what I can to avoid these people. There is a reason you hear "armed and dangerous."

Quite the contrary. If you figure the statistical probabilities of death from firearms (# of firearms vs number of deaths annually) vs the number of deaths by vehicle (again, use the same calculation) the motor vehicle is far, far more likely to kill when operated as designed. There are more firearms than vehicles in the United States, and far more vehicular deaths, be they homicides (vehicular homicide is a fairly common charge) or other incidents. In a vehicular homicide, the vehicle performed as designed, and someone died, therefore the end conclusion using your logic is the same, vehicles MUST be banned.
Sorry LH - your argument is still fallacious. To make your stretch you would have to compare the exposure to guns that result in death and the exposure to vehicles that result in death. You have not even taken inot consideration the number of guns vcs the number of vehcules. I think your "fairly common charge of vehicular homicide" hyperbole. How do you define "fairly common"? Once a day?

About 25% of adults in the US own guns. As there are about 250,000 vehicles in the US - there is a huge difference in exposure. Quibble with the numbers if you like - it doesn't take much thinking to recognize that comparing the number of deaths by gun to deaths by vehicle is invalid.

It is a good stretch...but still a stretch. You have apples, oranges and peaches - and all you have produced is fruit salad.

So why can't I sue the manufacturer of a gun if it kills someone?