Quote Originally Posted by pomtzu View Post
Richard - my point is: who, in the first place, needs an arsenal of weapons in their home - be it hand guns or "assault type" weapons.?? Just about anyone can flip and go screwy (including you or me ), but someone with only that one handgun that they originally had for their own personal protection, will do a whole lot less damage than the person who has enough firepower to outfit a small army!
When my dad died, he had 13 long guns and 7 pistols.

He wasn't a collector, but he liked guns. He loved to shoot and he was feared at the shooting comps he entered - the most common complaint from the younger men was, "why do I have to shoot against (My Dad)?". Pops was 25-40 years older than most people in the groups he shot against and he won many prizes and trophys. (He shot small and large bore pistols and rifles, so he had a variety of "shooting irons" in his arsenal).

I inherited most of the collection and would like to purchase one more rifle (along with a safe).

I find some guns to be pieces of art and think that target shooting is a challenge, sport and way to relax. The mental and physical demands of TS are pretty intense and I do find it fun.

That said? I don't find consider my guns as protection or an arsenal, I don't fear them, nor would I disrespect them. They are put away and I don't think about them until I need to move them, pull them out to see that they are not rusting or to make sure they are still there.

There are responsible gun owners and idiots, just like cars, bicycle, motorbike and ?????? owners.

Yes, guns are meant for 'one reason' but that doesn't mean that they cannot be used in other manners?