Thread: Gun control discussion

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by Edwina's Secretary View Post
    Relying on other people. I don't think so! I preferred to rely on my own good sense rather than an inanimate object.

By the way....

I do hope you will get the Pope straightened out on his misunderstanding of the Ten Commandments!
    Hebraic Insight…

The Jewish sages note that the word “ratsakh” applies only to illegal killing (e.g., premeditated murder or manslaughter) — and is never used in the administration of justice or for killing in war. Hence the KJV translation as “thou shalt not kill” is too broad.
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady's Human View Post
    Hebraic Insight…

The Jewish sages note that the word “ratsakh” applies only to illegal killing (e.g., premeditated murder or manslaughter) — and is never used in the administration of justice or for killing in war. Hence the KJV translation as “thou shalt not kill” is too broad.
    His Holiness Pope Benedict XVI
    00120 Vatican City, Italy, Europe

E-mail: [email protected]

Let him know....

How could so many people have been so wrong for so long...until you came along to straighten them out!

His Holiness Pope Benedict XVI
    00120 Vatican City, Italy, Europe

E-mail: [email protected]

Let him know....

How could so many people have been so wrong for so long...until you came along to straighten them out!
    Not I, I'd put more stock in Hebrew scholars than the translators who created the KJV. The KJV bible, while wonderfully thundering language, is rife with inaccuracies in translation, and this has been known for quite some time.
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

Blog Entries

Guns

My dad was hansome and the finest person you could ever meet. He was a collecter of a few things and thought 2 357 magnums in his safe was a plan. He had them for 20 years. When he was 67 and his second wife left him, he took one out and blew his brains out. Sure there were more reasons but that's what he did 3 weeks before Chritmas 11 years ago. Pretty hard to live with that one. I got some wicked pepper spray for Christmas, to each his own I guess.

Mon...my deepest and sincerest condolences. I know your pain.

LH...I should think a "religious scholar" would know that the King James Version of the Bible is not the version used by the Catholic Church?

It's not my book but I do find it rather...situational ethics...Thou shall not kill does not apply if you think the person needs killing. Does that extent to the other nine? Keeep the Sabbath Holy - unless there is a football game on? Thou shall not steal - unless the person really doesn't need it.

They are the commandments - not the suggestions as someone once said to me. To suggest it is okay if it is a "legal" kill...whose laws define legal?

And how many of the rabbis were there when Moses got the tablets anyway?

I am sorry but I can only give you a 4.5. Interesting discussion but holes in it that a 747 could get through.

LH...I should think a "religious scholar" would know that the King James Version of the Bible is not the version used by the Catholic Church?
    I'm well aware that the Catholic Church does not use the KJV, after all, it was a text made by heretics to let the masses read the bible in their native language, however, most bibles translated prior to archeological discoveries in the latter part of the 20th century have inaccuracies because they are translations of translations, without the strict code of Hebrew scholars.

As to the leading part of that statement, I don't claim to be a religious scholar, for that matter I have little truck with any "religion".

Just for a little clarification on that statement, the Pharisees were religious. John had faith.

It's not my book but I do find it rather...situational ethics...Thou shall not kill does not apply if you think the person needs killing. Does that extent to the other nine? Keeep the Sabbath Holy - unless there is a football game on? Thou shall not steal - unless the person really doesn't need it.
    YOu don't believe? Fine, stop denigrating others faith. I know you find conversation minus derision to be a nearly impossible bar for you to get to, but please try.

They are the commandments - not the suggestions as someone once said to me. To suggest it is okay if it is a "legal" kill...whose laws define legal?

And how many of the rabbis were there when Moses got the tablets anyway?
    They are commandments, not suggestions....however, go back to the language they were originally written in, and they are far different in meaning from the religious dogma. As to how many rabbis were there when Moses got the tablets? None, however, the Hebrew scholarly traditions have maintained a fairly rigid record through the years.
    Last edited by Lady's Human; 12-27-2012 at 10:03 PM.

Congrats LH! I think you made it two or three posts without giving in to the apparently irresistible urge to insult me. Well done!

You are the one insulting religion with your "reinterpretation of the Ten Commandments" to conveniently match your political agenda.

Talmudic wrangling is interesting but even the learned rabbis do not know in what language the tablets given to Moses were written. And how translated how many times? No one, not even you, knows in what language - or was it language or images? That God used to communicate his commandments.