Thread: Gun control discussion

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by Jessika View Post
    In countries where they have gun bans, etc, crimes for other weapons, ie knives, are actually higher.

http://sob.apotheon.org/?p=1323

Interesting read.
    Are the rates of people being knifed in those countries as high as those of people being shot in this country?
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

All gun control does is punish law-abiding citizens
    I am a law-abiding citizen. I do not feel at all punished by sensible gun laws. Indeed...I feel punished by the lack of sensible gun laws.

And I am not afraid of criminals breaking into my house. I am just not. I am afraid of people running around with concealed weapons. Very afraid.

So there you have it...I am firmly committed to gun control.

Isn't it a wonderful country where people can agree to disagree...well...most of them anyway!

Now if we are talking about sensible gun laws...like registration and background checks - of course I am all for that! That's like allowing people to drive without a road test or license and no car registration.

Quote Originally Posted by phesina View Post
    Are the rates of people being knifed in those countries as high as those of people being shot in this country?
    They are not, but as I clearly stated in my post, crimes committed with other types of weapons in countries where they have gun bans are much higher than (sometimes higher even than gun crimes committed in countries without a ban).

Quote Originally Posted by Alysser View Post
    Now if we are talking about sensible gun laws...like registration and background checks - of course I am all for that! That's like allowing people to drive without a road test or license and no car registration.
    This is a no-brainer here. I'm not against this (though I do know some people who are against registration, but I am not one of them). I'm all for being a responsible gun owner. But still - stricter gun control will not keep guns out of criminals' hands.

facebook