Thread: Gun control discussion

Hybrid View

Why I care

Just something I wanted to say for clarification.

It was suggested recently, very politely, that I should butt out of the gun control debate since I was not American and so as not to offend I have done that until today.
    Here’s why I care. For most of my 35 year career I traveled throughout the US working with hundreds and hundreds of grassroots volunteers. Politics, religious beliefs, ethnic origins where never part of the equation. Just a bunch of hard working people trying to make their communities better places and providing comfort for those in need.. I spent most of my time in the US toiling alongside volunteers in their communities, fundraising for children’s causes, providing disaster relief support from Canada when needed. As a result I made many, many friends and many have continued to be friends since my retirement.
    I have no doubt that some of these volunteers hunted, some of them likely had hand guns for protection and some may even have been or still be members of the NRA. I fully respect their rights under the 2nd Amendment of the Constitution. I just don’t want to ever read or hear one of them has been killed watching a movie, or their children killed at school or they just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time during a drive by shooting. Over 900 people have been killed by firearms in the US since Sandy Hook , that’s just 35 days. I want them to be safe.

Louie and Me- I wouldn't pay any attention to anyone that tells you to butt out of any conversation based on your nationality. You have the right to express your opinion just as much as anyone else. Consider anyone getting riled up enough to tell you to butt out just not comfortable with the views that you are expressing.

Thanks Cataholic - it was a very respectful objection but at the same time I was sure more than one poster resented my opinion on a particularly sensitive American matter. That's why I wrote this piece. I really do care about the issue not just on a "holier than thou" basis.
    Last edited by Louie and me; 01-18-2013 at 03:20 PM.

LOLOLOLOLOLOL.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...icle-1.1241260

Maybe we need a tighter control on people who see boogey men down dark alleyways?

-----------------------

I can hardly wait for the schools to ban girls from playing with dolls because that may lead them to wanting to get pregnant and become mother or kids who crash Hot Wheel cars into each other - that may lead them to be reckless or NASCAR drivers?

---------------------------

The more I watch the news outlets, the more I am entertained by the puppetheads who really do not know what they are talking about.

"High capacity bullets" was my fave from this past weekend.

Kids with loaded fingers don't scare me, It's the people with empty heads that freak me out.

Ban jeeps. I want everyone to be safe, they have an inordinately high accident rate due to high center of gravity and poor handling characteristics.

Ban minivans. They have a high passenger capacity, and an inordinately high number of people are killed in each minivan accident as compared to an average sedan. More people inside, more possibility of death.

Ban 5 gallon buckets. Kids drown in them, and more true children (not 21 year old gangbangers, sorry, CDC, those aren't "kids) are killed by drowning in buckets than are killed by firearms.

Ban 15 passenger vans. Combine the comments about jeeps and minivans and you've got a rolling nightmare on the highway.

Limit horsepower and torque specs for motor vehicles. People are killed constantly by excessive speed, no need for anyone to be able to exceed the speed limit.

Hell, let's just wrap everyone in bubblewrap, feed 'em a nutritionally correct IV solution and keep them nice and safe inside from cradle to grave. Make everyone a shellperson, life's just too damned hazardous.
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady's Human View Post
    Ban jeeps. I want everyone to be safe, they have an inordinately high accident rate due to high center of gravity and poor handling characteristics.

Ban minivans. They have a high passenger capacity, and an inordinately high number of people are killed in each minivan accident as compared to an average sedan. More people inside, more possibility of death.

Ban 5 gallon buckets. Kids drown in them, and more true children (not 21 year old gangbangers, sorry, CDC, those aren't "kids) are killed by drowning in buckets than are killed by firearms.

Ban 15 passenger vans. Combine the comments about jeeps and minivans and you've got a rolling nightmare on the highway.

Limit horsepower and torque specs for motor vehicles. People are killed constantly by excessive speed, no need for anyone to be able to exceed the speed limit.

Hell, let's just wrap everyone in bubblewrap, feed 'em a nutritionally correct IV solution and keep them nice and safe inside from cradle to grave. Make everyone a shellperson, life's just too damned hazardous.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0003319.jpeg 
Views:	83 
Size:	69.6 KB 
ID:	55869

Ban roll on?

----------------

One day I was ogling one of the new Boeing airplanes - It was supposed to be the largest passenger cargo jet in the world - and one of my pals looked at me and said, "Great, another way to kill more people in one accident......"

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Quote Originally Posted by RICHARD View Post

Name:	0003319.jpeg 
Views:	83 
Size:	69.6 KB 
ID:	55869

Ban roll on?
    It is said that the mind is a terrible thing to waste. No one can say that about you - yours is in high gear 24/7!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Terrorist Barbie?

http://news.yahoo.com/pa-kindergartn...035057936.html

I betcha Ken is somewhere breathing a sigh of relief that justice has prevailed.

Name:	armybarbiefront1992.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	75.2 KB 
ID:	55873