Thread: Gun control discussion

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by cassiesmom View Post
    I heard on the news tonight (on WBBM-AM radio for those of you in the Chicago area) that the NRA would like to give away guns in Chicago and other big cities affected by crime. Their rationale is that if more citizens were armed, crime would decrease. I don't know about other cities, but in Chicago I can just see those guns quickly falling into the hands of people who shouldn't have them. Giving more people guns is NOT likely to decrease crime, at least not in this town. It's going to take more police, more programs to strengthen families and keep kids out of gangs, and more opportunities for teenagers to have a life other than early parenting, welfare, prison or early death.
    Sadly, that isn't going to happen,, because it takes more than a sound bite to actually fix social problems. Nothing proposed by either side is going to fix Chicago, or any other urban issues, for that matter.
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady's Human View Post
    Sadly, that isn't going to happen,, because it takes more than a sound bite to actually fix social problems. Nothing proposed by either side is going to fix Chicago, or any other urban issues, for that matter.
    That's how it's starting to look around here. The Chicago Police Department announced that they have already spent two thirds of their overtime budget for the entire year - just since January. Warm weather and festival season isn't even here yet and that's when things in Chicago tend to go all wonky. Nothing proposed by either side is going to fix Chicago until Chicago decides it doesn't want to be the dysfunctional, murder capital of America, city it has become. Apparently a teenage honor student and a 6 month old baby aren't enough collateral damage. They just keep shooting.
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678