Thread: New foster I might not be able to help. OMG READ POST 8!!

Threaded View

New foster I might not be able to help. OMG READ POST 8!!

A customer has been TNRing ferals in her neighborhood, and she's been working on getting a litter that's been around recently. Sadly, all but two of the litter were killed by cars, but she caught the last two. She is keeping the female kitten, but she was in at work lamenting that she didn't know what to do with the male...she said he was still feisty and had an "eye infection", so she was not sure any shelter in the area would take the time/money to treat him. Me being a sucker/idiot, I offered to take him without looking at him first. I like taming down little beasts, and they're only about five weeks old so I figured it would be easy.

The taming part is going to be a piece of cake. He's a hissy boy, but today he hasn't had any food except what has come off of my fingers, so he's quickly learning to like the sight of me. Also I was able to pick him up, clean his ears, play with his feet, and get a good look at his eye without him freaking out.

The eye is going to be the problem. An eye infection would have been well within my means, and while it is infected, it's also micropthalmic and he has BAD entropion on both lids of his left eye. This is going to require surgery, which is not going to be do-able while my hubby's still out of work. I wish I wish I wish I had looked at him before saying "Sure, I'll take him!", but what's done is done. He's going to see my vet tomorrow and I'm going to get a quote for surgery, then contact the person who found him to see what she wants to do. Then, most likely, start contacting some of the rescues I've worked with in the past and beg for them to take him on.

I'm so sad...He's a darling brown tabby boy, and I wish I was going to be able to get him all fixed up myself. I can't stand to see him so uncomfortable, and now that I know what's wrong my eyes tear up every time I so much as think about what he must be going through. I'm calling my vet the moment they open tomorrow to see if I can at least get some pain meds on board ASAP.

Anyways, I just wanted to vent. This isn't my first time biting off more than I can chew, and it probably won't be my last, but I want to make sure that Captain Sparrow has everything in life that he deserves.
    Last edited by snakemama; 07-16-2012 at 05:11 PM.