Thread: Do we dare discuss the Supreme Court decision re: Healthcare

Hybrid View

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Quote Originally Posted by RICHARD View Post
    Pretty damn scary. I wonder if the parents had insurance, and if they didn't, that it made a difference in the "care" the boy received.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

A friend of mine, employed and with health insurance, was sent home from the emergency room after a fall in which he fractured vertebrae in his neck. He wasn't even given a brace. He has been in a wheelchair ever since getting taking back to a different hospital a few hours later. Yes, lawsuits were filed. Negligence happens, with or without health care insurance. He is still working on rehab and now can walk a few steps with a walker, but it has literally been years.
    I've Been Frosted

Negligence happens, of course. Insurance has nothing to do with it. Karen, your friend's situation sounds like negligence. The link Richard provided just sounds ridiculous, beyond negligence- but of course there isn't (unless you consider gross negligence). And, according to some on here, these parents should just 'suck it up', as no amount of money will bring back their precious child. Not a position I agree with, from both a maternal and legal position.

This totally drives home my own personal crusade- doctors simply don't know everything. I read on here, and in the news, what people do and don't do because their doctor told them so, and I am stunned. It is like the patient has no brain function!!! They give some really bad advice. I, personally, would have created such a stink at the hospital that something further would have been done. I know my own child, I know my own body, and if something isn't right- something isn't right. Far better to spend MORE on TOO much care than walk away, because a doctor told me everything was ok.

Poor parents, and all the people that loved this little boy. A needless death.

"Go to the ER..."

Sloppy medical practices kill more people that we will ever know.

--------------------

One common problem with people who must see a doc/phys/surgeon?

Ask questions.

Don't be a jerk and diagnose yourself based on an article, TV show or what happened to Uncle Chester in 1972.

----------------

Jackie Speier, a politician from CA was on the tube today saying that the Obamacare model touting 'Preventative Doc Visits' was a wonderful thing.

Ask a provider about their schedule. Then try to get people to go see a doc for a preventative checkup.

It's a nice model and wonderful way to believe that this will solve all the problems we have in providing a low cost service to the masses.

-------------------

Good physicians/surgeons/doctors are hard to find.

They put quite a bit of time into getting a sheepskin to take care of people.

This Obamacare BS ( I love how the media changed it into the ACA, after the SC voted it into reality )
    is going to put a huge pox on the HC industry. It's going to chase away some of the best people we have practicing medicine.

Years ago there was a shortage of OB docs because of malpractice insurane/rates/suits.

I wonder how many docs will drop out when the gov't. becomes more and more involved in the HC industry.

The same people who didn't want Big Brother to interfere with their private lives are jumping with joy now that the gov't. is going into the HC biz.

I love it.
    The secret of life is nothing at all
    -faith hill

Hey you, don't tell me there's no hope at all -
    Together we stand
    Divided we fall.

I laugh, therefore? I am.

No humans were hurt during the posting of this message.