I was 19 when my grandmother took me with her to Scotland, she was born there and went back to visit. While we were in Dundee, Grandma got sick. With my family half a world away I was scared out of my mind. The owner of the hotel we stayed in told me not to worry, he would get help. About an hour later there was a knock at our door, it was the doctor. She gave my grandmother a complete examination, determined the problem, and gave her medication. The doctor came every day to do another examination, give medication, and would sit with us for a while. On her day off, the doctor took me sight-seeing around the city. When Grandma was medically cleared to continue our trip, she asked the doctor about her fee; doctor said there is no fee; Grandma said "But I'm not a British subject"; the doctor said "It doesn't matter, that's how it is here."

All through the debates about "Obamacare" I couldn't help but think about our experience in Dundee. As for the ACA, I don't know how I feel about it. Required coverage for pre-existing conditions is a huge plus and it's something I'll be dealing with soon. Another positive is that kids are covered even with pre-existing conditions. Anything that helps seniors get to their doctors and stay on their prescriptions can only be a good thing. There are some very good provisions but one has got to be changed, this electronic medical records nonsense. This is priveledged information and emr is a direct and blatant violation of the Privacy Act and HIPPA. Let us decide if we want our records mistreated like this, DON"T SHOVE IT DOWN OUR THROATS!

I was surprised at the Supreme Court's decision on the ACA. Maybe now those in charge will start working out the bugs and refine all of the provisions so it will work effectively for everyone.