Thread: what is healthy food for dog?

what is healthy food for dog?

Hi guys,

What is healthy food for our pet animal. my dog is eat every day pedigree but we want some different food for him.
    last time my dog was ill then i have give him meet for eat.. but you suggest me what should right food.

Welcome to Pet Talk! Why do you want to change foods? How old is your dog, and what breed? When you do change over, be sure to make the change gradually over time, instead of changing abruptly, so your dog's stomach can get used to the new food, and he doesn't get an upset stomach!
    I've Been Frosted

When clients ask me this question, I usually say that I don't recommend anything lower-quality than Iams or Purina One. Anything you can find at the grocery store is typically more filler than quality food so I don't recommend anything from grocery stores, gas stations, convenience stores, etc.

I can tell you my opinion of best, I can tell you my opinion of the worst, but the key is to teach yourself what to look for in food and have you make an educated decision on what is best for you and your dog. Keep in mind, people will suggest what food they're feeding, and not to say that it isn't good food, but what works for one dog may not work for another. Some dogs' systems can not handle the rich ingredients of super premium foods, eventhough those are typically "the best" to feed your dog.

http://www.dogfoodproject.com/ is a great website to start at.

Good luck!

facebook

This is a loaded question...there are as many answers to this question as there are dog owners, LoL.

What I tell my customers is to look at the ingredients. Avoid corn, wheat, and soy. The first ingredient should be a named meat MEAL, like chicken meal or lamb meal. Any grains should ideally be whole and unprocessed, such as brown rice...not rice gluten or rice protien.

Blog Entries
    We had to switch over to Nutri Source a Lamb Meal & Rice mix. One of our dogs was allergic to the dog food we had been feeding him for years. It was a high energy sports mix from our local Coop. Our veterinary ran all kinds of tests & blamed it on the dog food. I checked with other people feeding the Coop., dog food & they had problems also with their dogs. The Nutri Source runs a dollar a pound but is worth it, the dogs eat less & poop less & are healthy.
    The frost is on the pumpkin & I've been BOO'D by two pet talk ghosts.
    Thank you Fritz & Cassiesmom

Call of wild

The cheapest no grain is "call of wild" Just go to petsmart or anhytyhing like that. They have puppy, SR, and so many flavors. They say mix them so the dog doesnt get bored, unless its a old or young dog. THen use the pup/or SR

I agree you need to start reading labels and educate yourself. Here is a good place to start:
    http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/

Read some reviews for 6 star - high quality food. THEN, read some reviews for a 2 star food. You will learn plenty!

Thank you so much for posting this thread you guys!

I am new to this whole thing, I know that sounds awful, but all you can do is admit your mistakes, learn from them and move forward. That being said, I am trying to figure out the best food for my money.

I am super broke right now, but I need a high protein diet for my 10 1/2 month old pitbull, Lola bear

I am paying about $0.45 per pound now, but I think I could take it up to about $0.85 per pound. Anyone have any thoughts on a good high protein dry dog food for my Lola?

I would really appreciate all the help.

Its a lot easier to recommand a brand if we know where you live. The OP may not be in the US. There seem to be less quality food options overseas and its harder to find a good one because they have less regulations about which ingredients must be listed in many countries.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

Good point! I am in Oregon. And I did a ton of research and found out she needs a lot more protein than the food she was getting. It was 21% min. But I just got a new bag of all natural food that's 30% min. and I think she will do a lot better on this. How should we do the transition? Is mixing new food in with the old a bad idea? I feel like I heard somewhere that you're not supposed to mix foods. In that case, do we just get rid of the old stuff and start right in with only the new food? Thank you guys again for the feedback, there is something so trustworthy about fellow dog owners

What you heard was wrong! The best way to transition to the new food is to do so gradually - start with 3/4 old food 1/4 new food, do that for a few days, then half and half, ... you get the idea. There's less of a chance for tummy upset that way!
    I've Been Frosted

LeoMax Guest
    Hey i give my dog Chew-Sticks Meat this food is different from other food because this is makes from Rawhide, Cereals, Permitted EC, Colourants, Permitted EC, Preservatives (Potassium Sorbate)... It makes dog's

• Best for Teeth & Gum
    • Satisfies the Natural need to Chew
    • Control Tartar

You can buy this online

My dogs have been eating either nutro or beneful dry and merrick or beneful wet. Been eating a combo of this for years. I've been reading a lot of negative things about the wet beneful food. About it making dogs sick... I've never had a problem with it. My dogs like it. They are 9 and 7 years old now.

Healthy dog foods are:
    Lean Proteins- Chicken or Turkey, Fish, Egg.
    Vegetables-Carrots, Pumpkin.
    Fruits-Apple, Mango.