Thread: Need help withPetmate water fountain

Need help withPetmate water fountain

Hello everyone, I am looking for ideas on a problem I am having with my Petmate fountains. The fountains work fine, but one of my cats has figured out how to pull the filter out of the fountain through the hole the water comes out of. At first I thought she was somehow managing to lift the lid, so I used duct tape. But I caught her in the act a couple of days ago and saw how she was removing the filters.

Any ideas would be welcome!

How big is the hole? Can you partially block it somehow so she cannot her at the filter that way?
    I've Been Frosted

Can you post a picture or provide a link to a picture or your brand? The ones I've seen secure the filter well.
    Anne
    Meowmie to Lucy Lou and Barney, and Aunt to Timmy (RIP)

Former kitties now in foster care: Nellie aka Eleanor van Fluffytail (at a Cat Cafe), Lady Jane Grey, Bob the Bobtail, and Callie. Kimi has been adopted into another family that understands Siamese. HRH Oliver Woodrow von Katz is in a Sanctuary.

I'm Homeless, but with resources, and learning to live again.

RIP Timmy (nephew kitty) May 17, 2018, Mr. Spunky (May 10, 2017), Samwise (Dec 2, 2014), Emily (Oct 8, 2013), Rose (Sept 24, 2001), Maggie (Fall 2003)

I can't figure out how to get the photo into this thread, but here is the link to the item on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Petmate-Jumbo-...ate+water+pump

She is pulling the filter out via the hole just under the word Petmate.

Quote Originally Posted by emily_the_spoiled View Post
    I can't figure out how to get the photo into this thread, but here is the link to the item on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Petmate-Jumbo-...ate+water+pump

She is pulling the filter out via the hole just under the word Petmate.
    The whole photo upload attachment process is complicated, for the albums at least. You have to copy the photo to your desktop then attach.

As far as the filter, wow. She is obsessed with pulling the filter through that little hole? What does she do with the filter?

I use Cat-It water stations. Mine can't get to the filter. Hmmmm
    Anne
    Meowmie to Lucy Lou and Barney, and Aunt to Timmy (RIP)

Former kitties now in foster care: Nellie aka Eleanor van Fluffytail (at a Cat Cafe), Lady Jane Grey, Bob the Bobtail, and Callie. Kimi has been adopted into another family that understands Siamese. HRH Oliver Woodrow von Katz is in a Sanctuary.

I'm Homeless, but with resources, and learning to live again.

RIP Timmy (nephew kitty) May 17, 2018, Mr. Spunky (May 10, 2017), Samwise (Dec 2, 2014), Emily (Oct 8, 2013), Rose (Sept 24, 2001), Maggie (Fall 2003)

She pulls the filters out 3 or 4 times per day and just walks around with the filter in her mouth or drops it on the ground somewhere in the kitchen. Either way there is always an unexpected puddle

Does that hole need to be that big? Can you put tape or something to make the hole smaller so she can't reach up in there??
    That's the only thing I can think of.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

That is the default size of the hole in this fountain. She has only just started doing this (and I have had her for over 3 years already). The only thing I can think of is to put something that will allow the water to flow through but yet still covers the hole (like screen for a door). But it will be a pain to deal with each time I change the water and wash the fountain.

Quote Originally Posted by emily_the_spoiled View Post
    That is the default size of the hole in this fountain. She has only just started doing this (and I have had her for over 3 years already). The only thing I can think of is to put something that will allow the water to flow through but yet still covers the hole (like screen for a door). But it will be a pain to deal with each time I change the water and wash the fountain.
    Do you take the lid off to change the water and wash the fountain? It seems a piece of plastic screening, cut to be slightly large than the hole and then epoxied on the inside would work. In fact, any water-proof glue would do fine!

Sounds like she would have fun with toy that involve fishing things out of enclosures - empty kleenex boxes that still have the plastic can be fun to open at one end, put some toys in and then tape shut so she can fish "prizes" out the tissue opening ... and leave fewer puddles than the filter!
    I've Been Frosted

You can run that fountain with no filter in it. The filter only catches a few things -- a piece of kibble, a clump of hair. You will not notice much difference, plus you save $ not buying the darn things.

I never used the filters when I had the fountains. We also are always admonished to use charcoal filters in fish tanks. Again, it is just a way for the company to make $$ it is not necessary and experienced aquarists don't use them.

When I take apart the fountain to change the water I usually run it through the dishwasher, so I am going to have to find something that will withstand the heat of the dishwasher.

I have every kind of cat toy imaginable but she still insists on the filters (probably b/c I tell her no )

Freedom is right, you can run your fountain just fine without the filter. The filters are just a money maker for the companies that produce these things. Anything that gets through without the filter you can see with your eyes and remove.
    Proud to be a crazy cat lady!