Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Kia and Chipper need surgery

Dropped Kia off at the vets this morning for her dental surgery. They said I could call after 2 for an update.

Kia at vet prior to surgery by ramanth, on Flickr

Today is also the day that my friend was killed by a drunk driver. I said a silent prayer to Jordan and Phred to keep an eye on Kia.
    ~Kimmy, Zam, Logan, Raptor, Nimrod, Mei, Jasper, Esme, & Lucy Inara
    RIP Kia, Chipper, Morla, & June

Kia's surgery has been postponed. The preliminary tests showed she has a bronchial infection. So it's a course of antibiotics for her.

Aww, sorry she has to wait, but glad they checked beforehand! We wouldn't want them to take any unnecessary risks with your pretty girl!
    I've Been Frosted

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    Aww, sorry she has to wait, but glad they checked beforehand! We wouldn't want them to take any unnecessary risks with your pretty girl!
    I hope Chipper's ear is much better and I hope Kia's infection clears up really fast! (((HUGS)))
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Thanks! Chipper had another followup today and his ear is still improving. He goes back in one week to have the bandage/stitches removed.

Kia goes back in two weeks. They hope by then that the antibiotics will have taken care of the infection.

Oh Chipper....

I woke up this morning to the sound of Chipper bashing the cone against every piece of furniture in the house. The base of the ear was inflamed and the bandage was coming off so I took him in to the vets.

He had an appointment to remove the bandage tomorrow, but obviously that wasn't soon enough. So he's spending the night there.

Talked with the vet a few minutes ago. She is going to lightly sedate Chipper tomorrow and remove the ear bandage. Then they'll assess it and let me know the next steps. Right now he's resting comfortably with some strong painkillers.

Oh, Chipper! That's not the way to earn "good dog" points! So sorry he's had this set-back, poor guy! Sometimes sedatives are a good thing.
    I've Been Frosted

Chipper did well and was resting comfortably when I called this afternoon. He had a new bandage put on and will be spending another night at the vets. I'm to call around 2pm tomorrow for another update, though I think they'll let me bring him home tomorrow.

So what did they say about long-term? Will his ear be a stand-up ear again once this is all over?
    I've Been Frosted

We're hoping so. Even if it can't stand up anymore, we hope the procedure will keep his ear less 'cauliflower-like' like Kia's are.

And this makes night number 3 that Chipper is spending at the vets. Miss my boy, but he's in pain & this is what's best for him.

The second surgery was successful though.

((((HUGS)))), Chipper and Mom!
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Quote Originally Posted by ramanth View Post
    And this makes night number 3 that Chipper is spending at the vets. Miss my boy, but he's in pain & this is what's best for him.

The second surgery was successful though.
    Awww, poor Chipper - you and Kia must miss him terribly! Save him a watermelon rind for me this weekend!
    I've Been Frosted

Chipper will continue to stay at the vet over the holiday weekend. He's not in as much pain as before and the ear is healing nicely. I miss him, but I know he's in good hands.

Because of the limited weekend staff, no one will be answering the phones, but they will call me if something comes up. So no news is good news.

Hopefully he can come home on Tuesday.

Here's hoping the extended stay will do the trick and the ear will heal all the way! Sending healing prayers his way!
    I've Been Frosted