Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: I was in the Hospital - Now I'm Home!

Good to hear you're home Karen! Hopefully you will be able to eat a bigger variety of food!
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

Karen, I'm so glad you're home and healing up. Good news on the food issues, hopefully he is correct and you can broaden your food choices. Rest up, get better. Cali and Diego send purrrrrs.
    Gayle - self proclaimed Queen of Poop
    Mommy to: Cali (14 year old kitten)
    (RB furbabies: Rascal RB 10/11/03 (ferret), Sami RB 24/02/04 (dog), Trouble RB 10/08/05 (ferret), Miko RB 20/01/06 (ferret) and Sebastian RB 12/12/06(ferret), Sasha RB 17/10/09 (border collie cross), Diego RB 04/12/21

Hi Karen, I just saw this Thread because my phone & internet were out for 2.5 days. I read all the comments and am so glad the operation is over for you. I had mine taken out 2 yrs ago (laproscopic) and felt better soon after. Hope you do too. Dont overdo. Best wishes to you from all of us.

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom View Post
    Hey, play a game, assume you can eat EVERYTHING again. What will you eat first?
    Soooooo not gonna do that, that's for sure! I really dislike being sick. And some of the ones I have are actually food allergies and are not to be trifled with. I carry an EPI pen but never want to have to use it. Tree nuts, cranberries, chickpeas, broccoli - sadly off my diet forever.

Once I am completely recovered, and have spoken with my own primary care doctor, I may start slowly introducing things back in, but just one at a time. So that precludes a big plate of spaghetti and meatballs, because that would be at least three things (beef, garlic and olive oil) that make me sick ...

But if I DO discover things I can eat again, each one will be a BIG victory.
    I've Been Frosted

......hoping you find lots of food choices......

Thanks to PCB!

I am confused, your allergies weren't confirmed by an allergist? Have you not been eating foods a long time??? Lol..that is horribly ungrammatical. But it seemed like you were allergic to tons and tons of things. Who told you you were allergic/intolerant all these years??? Hope not the same gp you are checking in with!

Quote Originally Posted by Cataholic View Post
    I am confused, your allergies weren't confirmed by an allergist? Have you not been eating foods a long time??? Lol..that is horribly ungrammatical. But it seemed like you were allergic to tons and tons of things. Who told you you were allergic/intolerant all these years??? Hope not the same gp you are checking in with!
    Some of my allergies were confirmed by the allergist through blood tests. Others did not show up on blood tests, but when I described a reaction to her, she'd say, "Well, not all intolerances show up on a blood test, so we're not gonna bother doing a test every time something new makes you sick, just avoid that substance." We have not done the extensive blood tests for years, as getting results takes several weeks, and also requires me to be off all allergy meds for 3 days beforehand ... so is annoying to schedule, given my environmental allergies are prevalent year 'round.

My Primary Care doctor relied on the allergy doctor for my food issues, as my allergy doc has been working in the field longer than my doc has, an has a good reputation ... I will be talking to my Primary Care doc well before I talk to the allergy doc again. This will all be very interesting, to say the least!

There are foods I have not eaten for years, as the list just grew and grew. Sigh. The longest-existing one I can pinpoint the date - almonds (which could kill me, causes anaphylaxis reaction) was first noticed when my nephew was 12 - he sold me the popcorn with almonds in it. He's now 26 years old, so that allergy is 14 years old.
    I've Been Frosted

With the very long list of foods you are/were allergic/intolerant of, I would want to know what is what! Lol...no way would I just give up half my food likes, with this crazy development. Maybe whenever the season is less allergy-y, you could get re-tested. But..that is just me. I love food, and eat lots of stuff (just no meat).

Quote Originally Posted by Cataholic View Post
    With the very long list of foods you are/were allergic/intolerant of, I would want to know what is what! Lol...no way would I just give up half my food likes, with this crazy development. Maybe whenever the season is less allergy-y, you could get re-tested. But..that is just me. I love food, and eat lots of stuff (just no meat).
    There are foods I have just been loving from a distance ... not loving any less, just not ingesting them! I am figuring that, at some point in the future I will get retested, as I know people's allergies change over time, anyway. And there are some I am guessing (besides the anaphylaxis ones) that I'll still have, as I have them in common with at least one or two of my siblings and their kids. Wanna guarantee you end up with lots of leftover birthday cake at a Peterson function? Cover it with shredded coconut!
    I've Been Frosted

Huzzah! *BIG HUGS*

I'm so glad you're feeling better.

Dad and Uncle Fred told me about your surgery. It's odd that you've been misdiagnosed for so long, but incredibly glad that things are looking up for you.

~Jessi

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Wow Karen. That would be great if you could really start eating some of the foods you like but have been avoiding. That would make this whole gallbladder issue worth while, even tho it wasn't pleasant. I've never been tested as being allergic, but a couple of years ago I broke out into one big itch all over, after eating a crab cake topped with shrimp. I thought I would go insane with the itching and it took 10 Benadryl over the course of just over an hour for me to get relief. I haven't eaten any shellfish since, even tho I love seafood, but I'm scared to try it as I don't want to go thru that again.

Rest up and dream of all the things that maybe you'll be able to eat again!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Sorry- I hadan't read this before- I wish you a speedy recovery and am glad to see you are at least posting

Get well soon! I know several people who have had gall bladder surgery in the last few years and recovery is typically much quicker than it used to be. Hopefully you will be able to expand your diet a bit.
    I've been finally defrosted by cassiesmom!
    "Not my circus, not my monkeys!"-Polish proverb

Karen I hope you're feeling well today - day at a time and you will be zoomin' around (just like a kitty).
    Yours in Whiskers

I'm not young enough to know everything.

"The Best Mirror is an Old Friend"

“The secret of what is small is the secret of clear-sightedness; the guarding of what is soft and tender is the secret of strength.”

• Lao Tzu

Sorry I'm a latecomer to the news, but glad your surgery is all over with now.
    I'm glad you are home where Paul can spoil you a little. Rest up and feel better.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt