Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weight loss/vomiting/IBD...

Weight loss/vomiting/IBD...

I was going through some of the posts in this forum and noticed a lot of people talking about their cats having IBD. My little 10 year old orange guy, Ollie, has been suffering from this for a looooong time, probably forever. He's been on prednisolone daily for about two years now, plus he eats the Purina EN dry and canned food. This past November he dropped a ton of weight suddenly- was down to about 4.8 lbs- so we started him back up on weekly B-12 shots, metronidizale twice a day, and Forti-Flora sprinkled on his food along with continuing the daily prednisolone. He was starting to look better again after about a month- his appetite was back, the accidents were becoming less frequent, was back up to about 5.3 lbs (at his largest, Ollie was 8 lbs- but I haven't seen him that size in a good 4-5 years), until about two weeks ago. All of a sudden he's turning up his nose at his canned food, and when he does eat, he's vomitting it all up. We were at the vet for his B-12 shot last week and found out he's dropped weight again and is back down to right around 5 lbs. The vet decided it was time to run some bloodwork again and I'm still waiting for the results, I guess he thinks it could be hyperthyroid. But he's run the same tests at least twice before and it always comes back negative. They've checked for pancreatitis too, and that's been negative as well.

I'm just worried right now mostly about the not eating and the vomitting when he does. Poor little guy has got to get some food in him! Should I ask the vet about nausea? Is there something they can give him to help him stop vomitting so much? Just curious...

There is a medication or some drops that help the nausea. Did your vet suggest x-rays? With his IBD it may not take much to cause a blockage in his colon. I know x-rays can be expensive, but ask your vet if it is worth doing.

I hope your baby gets better soon!
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Actually, he's pooping like a champ these days! Honestly though, his stool has looked better than it ever has. Right now his main issue is the weight loss and vomitting. Back in November the vet did want to run an ultrasound to check for colon cancer, but we decided to do a few rounds of all the meds and stuff first. And since he did improve for a while, I really don't think the issue something like that. Ollie's had a bad tummy since I first got him at 8 weeks old. He's been on and off meds his entire life, and I think sometimes he just has flare ups and feels yucky. But I'll see what the vet says when the results are in, and I'll definitely mention that he's having issues with eating and vomitting too.

Thanks!!

What food does he eat? Has he ever been checked for food allergies? Try giving him some simple food - like just boiled or baked chicken, for example, and see if he can keep that down. As a human with food allergies and intolerances, I know how miserable that can be!
    I've Been Frosted

Turn for the worse...

Well, I heard from the vet late on Friday and he said most of his bloodwork came back normal- Ollie's kidneys were great, no hyperthyroidism, etc., but his liver values were elevated since the last time we did the tests. I guess this could mean an inflamed liver or possibly a tumor, so the vet wanted to do a few x-rays to check it out. Those were scheduled for this morning.

However, over the weekend Ollie's taken a turn for the worse. He hasn't really eaten anything other than a few bites of chicken and tuna- it was all I could get him to eat. He wasn't interested at all in his canned or dry food. He also won't drink unless I physically carry him to the bathroom sink and let him drink from the faucet. So he's been extremely lethargic and I'm sure has lost more weight over the course of those three days...I'm just so thankful I was taking him to the vet this morning anyway. I'm really, really hoping they can do something to perk him back up after the x-rays...but I'm also trying to prepare myself for the worst. I have never seen Ollie quite this bad, he's been sickly his whole life but when he's always bounced back from these bouts.

I'm really trying to stay positive for my little buddy...really hoping I get to bring him home with me later today.

Lots of prayers and good wishes and healing energies and love are being sent to Ollie and you too.

I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

Best wishes for your dear Ollie - I do hope some fluids will perk him up and his appetite returned. HUGS.

My heart is breaking as I type this...but like we thought, it's in Ollie's best interest at this point for us to let him go peacefully. The x-rays showed that all his organs were somewhat shifted, and the vet is concerned that it's caused by lymphoma or maybe an enlarged liver. We could do an ultrasound to tell for sure, but either way he would not make it- he's just too frail to go through any treatments.

I had almost 10 good years with him and will miss him terribly. He was my first pet when I moved out on my own and he's been with me through some tough times. I hate making this decision but I don't want him to suffer any further.

Blog Entries

Ollie

I'm shedding a tear for you, I know how hard it is. You are doing what's best for Ollie and that's what matters most no matter how hard it is to do the right thing , do it we must. Sending good wishes and compassion, peace and love...so sorry

I am so sorry. God bless you and Ollie both, and give you peace and comfort. Your love is eternal and you will always be together.
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

How heartbreaking.

Ollie will move on surrounded by your love.

Peace to you - and Ollie will be healthy and happy at the Rainbow Bridge.

{{{{hugs}}}} to you and Ollie.

Thanks everyone. I still can't believe he's really gone. It's going to take a while to sink in. I know he isn't suffering anymore and is at peace now. I will just miss him so, so much.

Blog Entries

Ollie

Hang in there darling, peace and love

I'm so sorry for your loss. Ollie knew that you loved him very much and that you tried everything you could to help him. Now he's up at Rainbow Bridge running and playing and is painfree and healthy again. You'll meet again one find day. Please take care. (((HUGS)))

I am so sorry for your loss, Hellojosie. But you did the right thing. It's so difficult to watch your beloved pet deterioriate. He had 10 wonderful years with you. No one can ever take away your memories of Ollie.

RIP sweet Ollie.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!