Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New treatment for depression

New treatment for depression

http://www.cnn.com/2012/04/14/health...html?hpt=hp_c1

Great news for those who suffer from medically untreatable depression.

For those of us who are more cynical, however, bring on the drouds and wireheads.
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

Fascinating, hopefully it can help some people. Depression can just be so debilitating.
    Reading it, though, I was reminded how glad I was to be completely unconscious and under sedation when they cut into my skull, so didn't feel or hear a thing!
    I've Been Frosted

"It's not that you won't be happy or that you aren't happy; it's that you can't be happy," Guyton said.
    That rang a bell.

I sent the link to a friend whose 19 year-old nephew has been horribly depressed and suicidal since last September. Nothing seems to be helping.

Thanks for the post LH.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

I figured there would be several people on the forum interested in this, however, I have serious issues with the possibility of abuse, hence the placement in the doghouse.

This type of treatment was predicted by a couple of sci-fi writers, and the abuse was also predicted, hopefully the latter part of their prediction doesn't come true. Humans, as we have proven time and time again, will do damned near anything to get high.
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

With any treatment there is nearly always the potential for abuse, sadly. Here's hoping it is used by ethical people only, though I know that's being too optimistic of me.
    I've Been Frosted

Reminded me of another program I watched where they placed electrodes on certain areas of a teen's brain to stop severe seizures - it worked wonders and gave the teen renewed life, amazing how far science has travelled and is still progressing forward.
    Asiel

I've been frosted--- thank you Cassie'smom

I've been Boo'd----

Wow. I'm very lucky that my depression is under control with meds. Not a lot of meds. Just enough. Guyton's description of depression hit the nail right on the head.

will do damned near anything to get high
    LH, I think that's a little harsh. That is unless you're speaking from personal experience. I doubt there's any "high" involved.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

Quote Originally Posted by moosmom View Post

LH, I think that's a little harsh. That is unless you're speaking from personal experience. I doubt there's any "high" involved.
    Depends on the amount of electricity involved, and as far as harsh? I've seen people drink after shave to get drunk after having all the alcohol removed from their room in the barracks, and smoke everything under the sun because they read somewhere it might have an effect. Yeah, sorry, some humans will do damned near anything to get high.

I only suffer from slight depression at times. My therapy is Googling Beagle puppies or searching Youtube for kitten videos.

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Not to be contrary (what???-who me???-never!!!), but how can the ordinary Joe Blow get a high from this??? It's not like he can purchase it on the street corner or the local pharmacy. It's not likely his surgeon is going to drill holes in his skull and throw some electrodes in there because Joe Blow says that he's depressed. IMO - that will NEVER happen, so the drug pushers are safe, and the sale of after shave, mouth wash, cold remedies, etc, etc, will keep the Joe Blow's of the word as high as they want to get.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Guyton went for this surgery after over 40 years of medications and even electroshock. The meds did not work - the electroshock worked temporarily but she would crash again. None of the old or new depression meds EVER gave me a "high" - the new ones take from 2 to 4 weeks to have an effect. Even now, Guyton still has bad days - don't we all - but it has made a huge change for her.

A fast high - having holes drilled in your skull and needing to make an appointment for that? Not fast and not a high.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Why would you need a surgeon? How many stories have been in the news lately about plastic surgery performed by unqualified people?

Quote Originally Posted by Lady's Human View Post
    Why would you need a surgeon? How many stories have been in the news lately about plastic surgery performed by unqualified people?
    True, but I'd say that's a wee bit different than drilling holes in someone's head and placing electrodes who knows where in the brain. The patient would be dead rather than high. Nope - I just don't see it happening.
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3

RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013

In the case of plastic surgery, the patients are frequently dead rather than having a bigger/smaller whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady's Human View Post
    In the case of plastic surgery, the patients are frequently dead rather than having a bigger/smaller whatever.
    True, but if I was forced by some strange circumstance to choose one or the other, I'd opt for someone stuffing silicone somewhere, rather than having holes drilled in my skull.
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3

RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013