Thread: Ahhh!!

Ahhh!!

Sorry, but I'm just going to vent out my frustrations on you all, lol.

First off, a few weeks ago Melissa and I were coming back to (what we thought) was an empty house...we just left to run a movie back, and we left Smokey tied up, Nebo in the kennel, and Reggie free in the house. Well, as we drove closer we saw something....who was running down our street? Reggie and Smokey! And then I saw my sister's car in the driveway...

She *claims* that she let them out and that they dug under the fence. I would like to know how this is possible, as they have never in their lives even *tried* to dig under the fence, not to mention there was no hole or sign of digging.

I can't even count how many times she has left the door open while she is coming in (she is sooo slow!) and a dog has gotten out, either she didn't notice, or didnt' tell us and the dog is barking at the doorstep an hour or so later.

Take yesterday as an example. Here I am, driving home from work. It's dark. Hmm, there is a dog in the neighbors yard! Wait a minute, that's MY dog! I called, and Reggie came and jumped in the car. The excuse now is, "Well, we were sitting out on the porch, and I guess we forgot about him."

Ok, I can handle Reggie getting out, because he does not run away (farthest he's gone is the end of the street). Smokey used to be horrible at running away when he was younger, but I'm not sure if he'd try now. But I CANNOT handle Nebo getting out! I'll admit, I am terribly paranoid about it, from all the horror stories I hear about huskies and running off...

Well, after yesterdays Reggie incident, she and my mom left to go shopping. My sister mentioned before she left that she couldn't stay long, because she had to go pick up her husband. Well, my mom came in, and I went down the stairs to talk to her. It had be at least 10 minutes before my sister came in, and I had figured she had just dropped my mom off and left. Well, she came in, and left the door WIDE open for several minutes while she........sloooooowly.....came in the door. I didn't notice the door was open until it was too late. Nebo is trained to not go in that room, but an open door for that long is just way too tempting.

She didnt' even try to stop him! I was completely freaking out, and he's just having a blast...running at full speed all over the yard...into the road. Then Reggie comes running out (didn't try to stop him either) and he's chasing and barking at Nebo (NOT helping!)........Ahhhh!!! I swear it took me like 5 minutes to get him inside....Nebo kept running past me but I couldn't catch him....this was a fun game to him.

I'm just glad I got him inside, but I wish my sister could be a little more careful. Maybe her dog doesn't run off if she gets loose, but mine does!! (she just lets her dog run off leash to go potty..no fenced yard) Ok I'm done venting now!

I am sorry about the episode you had to go through last night. How does your mom feel about this? Your sister no longer lives there and should be more sensitive to your requests.

Actually, last night my mom was mad at me for yelling at my sister. She protects my sister for everything......Normally she would care though. Well, they both said that people should be able to leave the door open if they feel like it. Ok, if that's what they think...I feel they should buy a gate in front of that room and I can deal with that.

Well, they both said that people should be able to leave the door open if they feel like it.
    I think you forfiet your right to keep the door open if you feel like it when you get a dog. Reggie and Smokey are your parent's dogs, aren't they? I guess it's OK to leave the door open after you make sure the dogs are in a room where they can't just run out. A fenced in front yard will give them that luxury.

I hate to be rude, but from everything I hear about your sister, Amy, I think she needs to grow up a bit! She is acting like a child.

Amy I can totally relate to your frustration and paranoia with this!
    We have a roommate who "forgets" to close the front door behind him all the time. It doesn't have a real door knob, you have to really pull the door closed with this little handle thing.
    Well, he likes to just swing it shut and hope that it sticks but it rarely does. OK, it's bad enough that that means he's not locking the empty house when he leaves, but it also means one day the dogs could get out and be GONE! Thankfully they've always been found when he's done this but still, I am way paranoid anytime he is going in and out of the house doing stuff. Sometimes I'll even put P.C. in the garage and Smokey in the backyard or his crate. It's just too risky!
    He's moving out in December though... Phew.

I agree with Souraya. Almost all Huskies will go for an open door. Kia does. They should understand this and be sympathetic of it. And what if Reggie were to get hit by a car? So I guess it's okay for the door to be left wide open... until their dog gets hurt.

And who the heck leaves a door wide open!? You're either A. letting in the bugs, or B. letting in the cold air depending on the season.
    ~Kimmy, Zam, Logan, Raptor, Nimrod, Mei, Jasper, Esme, & Lucy Inara
    RIP Kia, Chipper, Morla, & June

I think you forfiet your right to keep the door open if you feel like it when you get a dog. Reggie and Smokey are your parent's dogs, aren't they? I guess it's OK to leave the door open after you make sure the dogs are in a room where they can't just run out. A fenced in front yard will give them that luxury.
    Yes, Reggie and Smokey are more my parents dogs (well at least they feed them lol, I still take care of them most other ways). I don't like *any* dog getting out. We don't live on a very busy street, but there are still cars, and there's still a chance. Smokey has ran off many times....he is fast and he doesn't stop for anything! We can't have a fenced front yard because well...it would look really dumb, lol. Nobody in my neighborhood does. But we have a fenced back yard, which the dogs love.

I hate to be rude, but from everything I hear about your sister, Amy, I think she needs to grow up a bit! She is acting like a child.
    Lol lol I can't agree more! She's always been childish, so is her husband....neither one of them will *ever* grow up.

I just think that nobody in my family quite *realizes* what a husky can do. Maybe they should watch him run at full speed in the backyard sometime, and then picture him running at full speed down the street. He only listens to "come" when he feels like it.

Originally posted by wolf_Q
    He only listens to "come" when he feels like it.
    I totally understand this Amy! Roxey STILL has a problem with this command.
    I can't imagine anyone coming in our house & leaving the door open, she would be out like the wind, and we live around the corner from a very busy road.
    It don't sound like your sister is very considerate of you or the dogs! What's it going to take, for one of them to be hit for her to close the door????

Huney, Bon & Simba-missed so very much
    Remembering all the Rainbow Bridge Pets

Ew, thats awful. I pray that nothing terrible ever comes of her negligence. Its a pity that your mom can't see your side

This is why I don't have a roommate.
    Alyson
    Shiloh, Reece, Lolly, Skylar
    and fosters Snickers, Missy, Magic, Merlin, Maya

Ahhhhhhhhhh!! I'm glad Nebo's alright.. unforunately your story reminded me when Anna got hit, ugh.. she hasn't escaped since May, which is really good so far..
    You're the one sure thing I've found so you better stick around...
    Best Fireman in da House´10
    dedicated to the kindest,loveliest and always helpful man that one would be honored and proud to know........R.I.P. Dear Phred

If it only took you five minutes to catch your husky, that's better than most. My sister has spent hours trying to catch her huskies. I used to have a husky that would sneak out the door, and stay gone for exactly four hours. No more, no less. And NO way to catch him while he was out.

I would suggest buying a pet gate with hinges that is mounted to the wall in the doorway to that room.
    "We give dogs the time we can spare, the space we can spare and the love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made" - M. Facklam

"We are raised to honor all the wrong explorers and discoverers - thieves planting flags, murderers carrying crosses. Let us at last praise the colonizers of dreams."- P.S. Beagle

"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king." - J.R.R. Tolkien