Thread: Why NOT to feed a snake live food. (New foster, graphic pics)

Hybrid View

Snakemama or anyone, can you say a little more about a snake's eating and drinking habits for me? How often does a snake eat, and what is a typical diet (other than mice-- eek!)? How often do they drink water, do you keep fresh water always available for them? I am glad he is doing better!
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Quote Originally Posted by cassiesmom View Post
    Snakemama or anyone, can you say a little more about a snake's eating and drinking habits for me? How often does a snake eat, and what is a typical diet (other than mice-- eek!)? How often do they drink water, do you keep fresh water always available for them? I am glad he is doing better!
    All of my snakes always have fresh water available, even though I only occasionally see any of them drink.

Most snakes when they're growing are offered food every 5-7 days. Most of my adults eat more like every 10 - 14 days. One appropriately-sized prey item is offered per feeding (appropriate size is about 1.5x the width of the snake at its widest point). My snakes eat only frozen/thawed prey, never live. Live prey can bite your snake or transmit bacteria from its gut into the snake's. There is a lot of debate as to whether snakes benefit from a varied diet or not. Certainly thousands of pet snakes grow to a ripe old age eating nothing but mice. I offer mice, quail, eggs, fish, and whatever else I can get my hands on. It's fun to me to offer tham a variety of options, though I always regret feeding them fish a few days later. STINKY!

There is, of course, a lot of variation across species lines...my indigo snake can't stretch his jaws like other species and he has a MUCH higher metabulism...so he eats 8-12 smaller prey items a week.

Lesson learned: don't startle a blind snake! He left these in my sister's hand when he snapped at her the other day. Luckily, both snake and person are fine!

Last edited by snakemama; 09-05-2012 at 09:15 PM.

Thank goodness everyone is okay! Do snakes regrow teeth? Just curious!
    I've Been Frosted

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    Thank goodness everyone is okay! Do snakes regrow teeth? Just curious!
    Yep, they'll grow back in.