Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I am changing my major...

I am changing my major...

I don't really know the point of this thread. I guess I just wanted to tell you guys or tell someone about this.

As some of you know I was doing Environmental Science/Zoology and really wanted to become a Wildlife Biologist. I do love the career, but I was always second-guessing myself and thought I would regret it...and everything. I've learned from avid researching and talking with people in the field it is extremely difficult to get a perm. position. It took one guy I talked to 7 years to get one. I've never been one to care about money but I cannot see living off 31k a year either. I then looked into a Game Warden position and don't think I'd be into that either. I was really starting to panic but luckily I got to a Community college and am not wasting money and I am still taking General Ed. courses.

So ANYWAY, long story short I am going for an associates degree in Radiology Technology, which my school offers. I've always thought that was a cool job. I've literally "grown" up in hospitals, thanks to open heart surgery and I have always thought Echocardiogram "people", as I used to call it had a cool job. This is a career I can enjoy, move up in, and make a decent living. (AND move wherever I want...hello ALASKA!)

I will always love animals and working hands-on with them of course, but as my mom said "you dope, you can still rescue dogs, and as many as you want because you can get a perm. position and find a nice house". I think this is a step in the right direction for me and I think I will do well. I meet with my counselor Monday to discuss

ETA: Sorry I haven't been on and if I missed anything! I've been working ridiculous hours lately and going to school...it's kind of difficult to get on the computer.

I did it. Changed my major. I really love piano and other instruments, but there are 10 or more music majors for every job available. So I switched to Math. Turns out I was am way smarter in math than in music, something I didn't know until I really got into it.

I wish you luck in your venture. You can always go back to school and extend your training into any area that tickles your fancy.
    Anne
    Meowmie to Lucy Lou and Barney, and Aunt to Timmy (RIP)

Former kitties now in foster care: Nellie aka Eleanor van Fluffytail (at a Cat Cafe), Lady Jane Grey, Bob the Bobtail, and Callie. Kimi has been adopted into another family that understands Siamese. HRH Oliver Woodrow von Katz is in a Sanctuary.

I'm Homeless, but with resources, and learning to live again.

RIP Timmy (nephew kitty) May 17, 2018, Mr. Spunky (May 10, 2017), Samwise (Dec 2, 2014), Emily (Oct 8, 2013), Rose (Sept 24, 2001), Maggie (Fall 2003)

Good choice Alyssa, I think that'd really work well for you .

I'm not changing my major but I don't think I'm going to vet school anymore... It's a lot of debt and I think I'd be just as happy being a Veterinary technologist. As long as I work with animals and can open an animal rescue someday, it'll work.

Now you can visit the South and live here a while .
    ♥Bri [HUMAN]♥
    ♥Lily [POMERANIAN], Brennan [APBT], Bailey [APBT/HOUND MIX]♥
    ♥Tallulah[CALICO], Domino [TUXIE]♥
    ♥Peach [RAT], Pepper [RAT], Phoebe [RAT], and PipSqueak [RAT]
    ♥Salvatore [BETTA]♥

“Dream what you want to dream; go where you want to go; be what you want to be,
    because you have only one life and one chance to do all the things you want to do.”

In Loving Memory <3
    Roxy Lily Brennan
    Facebook TigerLily Photography

My daughter does that. She has her asociates and is only one semester away from her bachelor's. Do consider going to a school that offers a 4 year degree in it. You'll be able to make AWESOME money and move up. With one year under her belt, my daughter is making over 40,000 a year (with just the assocaites degree.)

and my sister in law works in a hosiptal in Aslaska, so when the time comes and you need an "in" let me know

Quote Originally Posted by Roxyluvsme13 View Post
    Good choice Alyssa, I think that'd really work well for you .

I'm not changing my major but I don't think I'm going to vet school anymore... It's a lot of debt and I think I'd be just as happy being a Veterinary technologist. As long as I work with animals and can open an animal rescue someday, it'll work.

Now you can visit the South and live here a while .
    Roxy, you can always go back to school later on. But only you will know when that is the right time.
    Anne
    Meowmie to Lucy Lou and Barney, and Aunt to Timmy (RIP)

Former kitties now in foster care: Nellie aka Eleanor van Fluffytail (at a Cat Cafe), Lady Jane Grey, Bob the Bobtail, and Callie. Kimi has been adopted into another family that understands Siamese. HRH Oliver Woodrow von Katz is in a Sanctuary.

I'm Homeless, but with resources, and learning to live again.

RIP Timmy (nephew kitty) May 17, 2018, Mr. Spunky (May 10, 2017), Samwise (Dec 2, 2014), Emily (Oct 8, 2013), Rose (Sept 24, 2001), Maggie (Fall 2003)

It does sound like a cool career, and one that is needed everywhere, so you'll have lots of opportunities. And even vet practices need radiology sometimes, so you never know!
    I've Been Frosted

Thats a very practical move, you can live anywhere and know you'll have a job. My daughter has changed her major a few times, she is now at the end of sophmore year so I told her this was the last change, she just changed to electrical engineering.
    don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die....

I have been frosted!

Thanks Kfamr for the signature!

That's a great idea! Best wishes!
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

Sounds like a plan to me!

Radiology is a fine field, and I think there's quite a demand. There are so many imaging techniques out there. Try to fit in some nuclear/radiochemistry courses in; there are a lot of nuclear imaging tests and other nuclear medicine opportunities.
    I've been finally defrosted by cassiesmom!
    "Not my circus, not my monkeys!"-Polish proverb

I am a little disappointed the wildlife bio thing didn't work out. My dad mentioned volunteering at a refuge or something when I am older. He told me not to lose sight of my passion for animals of course, and then added but now you can finance it better Which I guess is true! This is not to say I am going to hate this career, because I don't think that at all. I've always looked for things to keep on the "backburner" per say, and I have always been the nerd who wanted all my x-rays when I was little. The doctors always told me I'd make a good "xray photographer" I think it sounds rewarding, cool, and very hands-on which I LOVE.

THanks for the support guys!! Catnapper, thanks, I will keep that in mind

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Don't kick yourself because your original plan didn't work out. So many kids start out with one major, and end up switching numerous times before they settle on one. Besides - what's the sense in staying with something that won't get you a job after you've invested all that time and money into getting a degree? Radiology is a wise choice IMO - there will always be a need for people in that field.

My granddaughter is finishing up her sophomore year at MU, and she is still sticking with psychology as her major, and she took on a 2nd one this year - biology. Her boyfriend is a senior at MU majoring in marine biology, so she got interested by being with him. She said he is going to catch the sea creatures, and she will analyze them to see what makes them tick! Seriously tho - she wants to do work with troubled young people, so I guess she will never have to look far for work either.

Good luck Alyssa, with whatever field you choose.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

I think you made a very brave and mature decision. It can be so difficult to change one's mind, especially something so crucial to your life path as your career. A few years back, I had a few people question my commitment to vetmed - after all, I'd made the decision when I was 3 years of age, which is hardly proof of a rational choice! I stuck to my guns and I believe I was right to do so, but if I had had doubts, I think I would have had difficulty changing my options. After all, for most of my life I hadn't thought about being anything else! I don't think I could have been as brave as you, and then maybe I'd have been worse off for it.

I hope you enjoy radiology! It will be a very exciting and, as you say, stable, career. There are so many amazing developments occurring in the radiology field right now, too, and in your professional career you will witness the fruition of a lot of them. Plus, you can help me out - I stare at images of radiographs for hours and go insane trying to figure out the problems!

Zimbabwe 07/13

To all of you who are in school and/or planning a career change or have made up your mind: I wish all of you Good Luck! Whatever you choose, I do hope it will be a career or job that you like. I dont think it would be enjoyable to have a job that you disliked. Having a good job or career PLUs making some good money doesnt sound bad at all. As you all said, you can still fit in some animal rescue.

Thanks guys, I was really wracking my brain over this decision, perhaps more than I should have. I can still incorporate animals in every aspect of my life anyhow! I was researching last night and apparently you can volunteer for the Fish and Wildlife service, doing exactly what I wanted to do. I read somewhere about a girl landing a part-time through that! Maybe I can work two jobs...ahh the possibilities are endless! Who knows what I'm gonna wind up doing...but I will be studying radiology in college.

Zara, you should hire me as your radiologist!! I'll be more experienced with people but who cares?! Imagine you, me and Bri working at the same Vet?