Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I don't know what to make of this????

I don't know what to make of this????

I read this on another form that I am on and just don't quite know what to make of this.
    To me personally, I found it interesting to read, but I don't know if I could have it done.

I would love to hear what others think about this and if you had the money, would you consider having it done on one of your beloved pets.

Freeze-dried-pets, to me it's like taxidermy.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2012...n_1268291.html
    Last edited by rg_girlca; 04-08-2012 at 03:13 PM. Reason: wrong link

R.I.P. my Precious Katie, Katie Pretty Lady.
    Oct. 1991 - Oct. 9, 2005
    R.I.P. my Beloved Wild Hair Wee Willy Winky
    April 8, 2005 - June 19, 2009
    R.I.P. my best friend Buddy.
    Sept. 1993 - Feb. 04, 2010
    R.I.P. my handsome Mooky.
    July 24, 2002 - April 1, 2010

Oh my God...

No way. I have the ashes of mine who have already passed. When I pass, I will be cremated, then have all our ashes mixed together and scattered.

Use the money to help animals still living, in memory of your departed one.
    Last edited by phesina; 04-08-2012 at 05:02 PM.
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Absolutely NOT!! IMO - it's quite morbid.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Quote Originally Posted by phesina View Post
    Use the money to help animals still living, in memory of your departed one.
    I agree 100,000% Pat. When it's time for Groucho to go to the Bridge, I want him to rest in peace.
    FIND A PURPOSE IN LIFE.....BE A BAD EXAMPLE

OOOh that is really creepy! No way would I consider that!
    Lilith Cherry
    "
    "Love never claims, it ever gives. Love ever suffers, never resents, never revenges itself." -Mahatma Gandhi

Thank you all for your input on this.

I was trying to picture my RB animals just laying, standing or sleeping in one position all the time just staring out in space and it creeped me out also. But, if it brings comfort to others, so be it. I would prefer my animals to come running when I get home from work and give me kisses and purrs when I pet them.
    Just looking at their pictures and remembering the fun times with them is a comfort to me, knowing that one fine day, we will meet again.

R.I.P. my Precious Katie, Katie Pretty Lady.
    Oct. 1991 - Oct. 9, 2005
    R.I.P. my Beloved Wild Hair Wee Willy Winky
    April 8, 2005 - June 19, 2009
    R.I.P. my best friend Buddy.
    Sept. 1993 - Feb. 04, 2010
    R.I.P. my handsome Mooky.
    July 24, 2002 - April 1, 2010

I agree with y'all. It's morbid and a thousand other sick words.

I haven't cremated any of mine. Don't know if I would. I haven't decided how I wish to rest, so I haven't thought about the kitties.
    Anne
    Meowmie to Lucy Lou and Barney, and Aunt to Timmy (RIP)

Former kitties now in foster care: Nellie aka Eleanor van Fluffytail (at a Cat Cafe), Lady Jane Grey, Bob the Bobtail, and Callie. Kimi has been adopted into another family that understands Siamese. HRH Oliver Woodrow von Katz is in a Sanctuary.

I'm Homeless, but with resources, and learning to live again.

RIP Timmy (nephew kitty) May 17, 2018, Mr. Spunky (May 10, 2017), Samwise (Dec 2, 2014), Emily (Oct 8, 2013), Rose (Sept 24, 2001), Maggie (Fall 2003)

No way!!!
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

There has been a recent series on Animal Planet called American Stuffers who did just that. I was expecting some comments about that series. Parts were hard to watch and nothing I would ever do.

I would never do that to a beloved pet. Ashes to ashes, dust to dust, to the earth they return, and the circle of life can continue.
    I've Been Frosted

I suppose it's one of those 'to each, their own' situations... and we've firmly established that for most of us it's just too weird! I'm not overly creeped out by the thought of having a stuffed pet around, perhaps that's because I'm fairly accustomed to animal cadavers in day to day life.... but that doesn't mean I'd have them around the house creeping out all of my guests!

The guy has found himself a nice little money-maker, I suppose. But indeed I agree with what has been said before - that I'd rather spend my money on helping other animals, and remembering the past ones using photos and good memories.

Zimbabwe 07/13

Quote Originally Posted by Freckles View Post
    There has been a recent series on Animal Planet called American Stuffers who did just that. I was expecting some comments about that series. Parts were hard to watch and nothing I would ever do.
    I turn that show off! Can't watch it.
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

My first thought, given my (life-long, extreme enough to cause raised eyebrows in allergists) allergy to dust mites was, Who's gonna dust them? And how sad would it be if they didn't get dusted and collected dust which would not happen to a live animal?
    I've Been Frosted

I'm sorry, I just think it's.... disgusting. I don't know, taxidermy, freeze dried, whatever it is, it's not like you would ever do this with a family member. I also think family's that do this think it will help them, but imagine finding closure when you have the animals body to look at every day.

Just plain weird to me. To each their own I suppose.

*Sammy*Springen*Molli*

I wonder if they give people a good talking to about the care of a freeze dried pet. I mean they can and do get mites that eat them and also their hair can fall out if you pet them too much. I don't think I'd be able to move on if I could see Autumn daily even though her being gone would be a heartbreak. I don't think clinging to a stuffed body would suit me. I also won't do individual cremation. I mean, look at how many cases are discovered of the cremation place just giving you a random handful of ashes and telling you its your loved one. Even the 9/11 victims ended up in a garbage dump when they were supposed to be cremated. Do you really think your pet's ashes are going to get back to you? I don't think so. I think they all throw them together regardless and you'll get back the amount of ashes equavalent to your pet's size worth of ashes from the pile of cremated pets.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton