Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I don't know what to make of this????

I just cremated Tama a few hours ago. I shouldn't have read this thread because what I just read is very upsetting to me.

The place I used has been there for 30 years. I witnessed his cremation (and broke down and almost passed out in the process..) and I know the ashes are his, even if I didn't see them place them in the bag.

But I agree with others, stuffing is not my thing either..

I don't have a house or place to bury him, nor do I want to bury him at the memorial park. Tama only wanted to be with me and now he is here with me forever.

Just my 2 cents from someone who is dealing with the death of their furchild at this very moment....
    `````````````````````````
    I love my furkid Neko!

^TAMA^ 8/24/00 - 4/27/12 Thank you for being in my life I love you always and forever

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    I don't agree with IRescue, regarding cremation. Sure, there are places that are dishonest and just give you ashes, and not necessarily those of your pet. However, most don't operate that way. We even have a local funeral home (for people) that does pet cremations, and they are above board and squeaky clean, and would never tarnish their top notch reputation in the community by doing something so underhanded.

I once read of a guy who wanted to make sure he was getting back the ashes of his pet from a private cremation, so he put a tiny metal i.d. tag in the pet's mouth, knowing that if he didn't get this back with the ashes, then he wasn't getting his pet back. The ashes came back, and the tag was also there.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

When I had a cat cremated for the first time, I went myself instead of having the vet do it. I was allowed to witness her being placed by herself in the chamber. This was at the oldest pet cemetary in the country, so I trust them.
    I've been finally defrosted by cassiesmom!
    "Not my circus, not my monkeys!"-Polish proverb

I could never do that to one of my best furry friends, a bit too morbid for my taste. Cremation would be nice but no one does it here so we take our pets home and have our own little cemetery .. living on acreage does have advantages. If we were in town this wouldn't be permited.
    Asiel

I've been frosted--- thank you Cassie'smom

I've been Boo'd----

WOW does that ever creep me out. I think it's morbid. Not to mention, that's not how I want to remember my pet...a statue of some sort?? I'd rather remember him/her romping, playing and BREATHING. Not my idea of a nice memorial.

When Sassy died, my parents refused to bury her in the yard. We have done that with smaller pets including Star, but Sassy was different. She was cremated at some place in PA, I don't remember the name but it is also a big pet cemetery if you wanted to do that! You were able to choose if you wanted a mass cremation, private cremation, or some other options. I don't recall much but the mass one was cheaper. You were allowed to attend the cremation, bring the body, or buy a video of it for free. I personally don't think I'd be able to watch that. We did the private cremation and got her back in a very timely manner. I wanted to scatter the ashes at her favorite spot but we kept some and scattered a little bit.

I am SURE there are some dishonest places, but they would be found out. And when you're dealing in the business of death if you're being dishonest, I can bet you don't last long. Death is something so personal to some people that they will not stand for lies and dishonesty about cremation, burial, etc. I know from experience.

Anyway, when I was a kid we used to got to my Great Uncles house in Upstate NY and his hobby was taxidermy. He ordered dead birds (his specialty) off random websites and catalogs and they were sent to his house and he'd do it himself in his basement. It was pretty cool, other than the eerie feeling of the eyes watching you. He had HUNDREDS of birds from all over the world and they were very well done. He was a big time hunter to and had deer heads all over his house. When he died his collection got sent to a museum. While I guess that is different to me, still creeps me out all the same. A pet is a pet, it's not like you ever owned the wild animal.

JMHO, of course.

Asiel, I think my only qualm with burial really is that if you were to move you can't take them with you. Maybe that seems weird..but I'd always want them. The ashes are nice in that respect. I'm not quite sure of the legality of it here. I live on .25 acres right now (unfortunately), so I'd assume it wasn't legal.

No, I don't think I'd like that at all. Having them creamated and turned into a precious gem, that's another story.