Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Cinder needs Prayers

I interviewed an author who had a book on this subject, I will try to dig it up for you. Essentially, there's nothing that can be done to stop the disease, and it is more common in Shepherds for some reason, probably genetics. But if Carl is handy with tools, maybe you guys could build her a wheelchair/cart to assist her back legs. It is a progressive disease, and a lot of research is being done, but there's no reversing it right now.
    I've Been Frosted

Bethanechol

Here is a link to a drug I have heard of being used sometimes. It worked wonders for a friend's dog. Don't know if it could help you out. Ask your vet about it.

Hope things improve.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bethanechol
    Last edited by sasvermont; 04-15-2012 at 09:24 PM. Reason: spelling

More prayers headed Cinder's way...
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

Prayers for Cinder! This must be so heartbreaking for you. Check out Bethanechol that Sasvermont mentioned.

There are also medications that suppress the immune system, which would slow the progress of the disease. My sister had MS, and had regular treatments of prednisone or solumedrol (sp?).

More huge prayers!
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

I'm so sorry to hear this. Lots more prayers and positive thoughts are being sent Cinder's way.

Sad news. Prayers continuing.

Oh poor Cinder! The Bethanechol can hopefully help, or a wheelchair/cart to assist her back legs. I hope she is not in pain, but she must be felling bad, not being able to move around on her own.

Sending lots of positive thoughts to Cinder, and to you.

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

I am so sorry to hear this news Diana and hope there is some relief for Cinder down the way. Please give her lots of gentle hugs and keep us posted when you can. Hugs to you too for being the caring person that you are - Cinder is fortunate to have you and Carl.
    Yours in Whiskers

I'm not young enough to know everything.

"The Best Mirror is an Old Friend"

“The secret of what is small is the secret of clear-sightedness; the guarding of what is soft and tender is the secret of strength.”

• Lao Tzu

Our vets are wonderful about checking into different drugs, etc that we have been told of that might help so I will pass the name of that Bethanecal on to them to research and possibly see if a prednisone type drug will help any.

I don't know if Carl could make the cart but possibly Josh, Christy's boyfriend, might as he is pretty handy with things like that. The only problem with the cart is that I have read that using that back end is important and dogs that do tend to live longer than ones who are not encouraged to do so. Of course, as time goes on, it will be harder for her and then the cart might be a great idea so maybe I will get Josh to be thinking about how to do it.

The vets says Cinder is not in any pain. She is able to get around better now. In fact, she can get out into the front yard by herself as she can get down the first step, walk across the porch and then take the second step. Going out into the back yard is harder as the two steps are right together and she can't do that - we may have to consider making some kind of a ramp for her. She can't get up either step by herself to get back in so we have to help her with that. We still are using the towel to put under her back end to just lift up the back end. She has gotten so used to it that she sits up so we can get it under her - however she often starts taking off before we have it in place - no slowing her down! She also likes to go out front and she walks a little - then lays down and rests and then walks out almost to the road and lays down. When we go, ok Cinder time to head in, she looks at us like, you got to be kidding me. Get that towel, I'm not dragging this back end all the way back there!

A week or so ago she started getting real restless - she would lie down and then up she would go and move and lay back down. I asked the vet if he thought a bed with a warmer in or one of those with the thicker more like mattress would help and he said he didn't know about the warmer but he did think she might benefit from a different bed. That the moving was from not being able to get comfortable. So we have bought her a bed for the living room where she spends most of her time with me that is more like a mattress. It has worked so well that we bought two for the bedroom - well we couldn't live Smokey out could we? They are such good siblings, she usually uses the one next to my side of the bed but if she wants the other one, Smokey willingly trades with her.

As I stated, I have put off posting the new diagnosis on Pet Talk because it makes it so much more real. It is so easy to put your head in the sand and wait for her to wake up one morning and be the old Cinder, running down the hallway in front of you, throwing her head back like saying, come on, can't you go any faster? Although we have not had her that long, it is hard to think of life without her or Smokey. They have fit so well into the family and have been such good dogs. Phred did such a great job raising them!!!

"That they may have a little peace, even the best
    dogs are compelled to snarl occasionally."
    --William Feather

Diana, thanks for the update. I'm glad that Cinder is able to walk some on her own. The ramp should help
    quite a bit to aid her getting back into the house. It was a great help with Buddy. (((Hugs))) to you & (((Hugs))) to Cinder.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Diana - there is a Holistic Vet in Sycamore, Ohio. I take Keegan and Kylie to her on occasion. She does Laser and accupressure/accupuncture.
    http://sycamoreanimal.com
    Keeganhttp://www.dogster.com/dogs/256612 9/28/2001 to June 9, 2012
    Kylie http://www.catster.com/cats/256617 (June 2000 to 5/19/2012)
    Kloe http://www.catster.com/cats/256619
    "we as American's have forgotten we can agree to disagree"
    Kylie the Queen, Keegan the Princess, entertained by Kloe the court Jester
    Godspeed Phred and Gini you will be missed more than you ever know..

It didn't trigger in my head until I read the description and about dragging the rear legs, but isn't that what Bowser had? I'll have to go back and search through Phred's old posts when I am at home.

Warm water therapy might be helpful, but I don't know how costly that is.

I think the ramp is a great idea as she would be able to work her back legs more.

Prayers for Cinder. I am glad she likes her new bed!
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Poor Cinder ! Lots of prayers on the way for her and you too.

If something soft to sleep on would make her feel better, I have an extra super soft throw I could send for her. I got an extra one when I found out how much better they made my arthritis feel. They are wonderful. Just ask Grandma. She is shown having a cozy on one in her COTD pics. We would be glad to share with Cinder.
    No matter what anyone does, someone some where will be offended some how!!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    MY BLESSINGS:
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Grandma (RB), Chester, Angel, Chip

Leonardo (RB), Luke (RB), Winnie, Chuck,

Frankie

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    WHERE YOU ARE IS WHERE YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO BE!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Continued prayers for Cinder, and for you Diana and Carl. Seems it is always something as they age (I'm dealing with 2 just now).

Whatever works to keep her comfie, and to save your back from aching, give it a go.