Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Cinder needs Prayers

Just checked in for an update. Continuing prayers and good healing thoughts for dear Cinder. And the same for her wonderful caregivers. You're doing all you can and more! Thank you. Loves from me, Cali and Diego.
    Gayle - self proclaimed Queen of Poop
    Mommy to: Cali (14 year old kitten)
    (RB furbabies: Rascal RB 10/11/03 (ferret), Sami RB 24/02/04 (dog), Trouble RB 10/08/05 (ferret), Miko RB 20/01/06 (ferret) and Sebastian RB 12/12/06(ferret), Sasha RB 17/10/09 (border collie cross), Diego RB 04/12/21

I'm sorry to hear that Cinder isn't showing any signs of improvement. Lots more prayers and positive thoughts are going out to her and you and your family too. Please take care. (((HUGS)))

Sending more thoughts and prayers to Cinder!
    Nancy

All things work together for good to them that love God.
    (Romans 8:28)

I've been defrosted-- Thanks, Sana

Dear Cinder, I know the vet will be contacted today. Praying there are more steps to take to help you feel better, girl.

Continued prayers for Cinder. I hope she improves.
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

Continuing my prayers for Cinder and all the hoomans who are helping Cinder!

I will miss you forever, my sweet Scooter Bug. You were my best friend. 9/21/1995 - 1/23/2010
    Goodbye, Oreo. Gone too soon. 4/2003 - 9/12/2011.
    Farewell & Godspeed, sweet Jadie Francine. You took a piece of my heart with you. 11/2002 - 8/8/2016
    Charlie kitty, aka: Mr. Meowy. Our home is far too silent now. 2003-6/14/2018

I replied to the facebook post but just incase you didn't see - please look into accupuncture! If there's a local vet that does it, it's worth atleast getting a console about it. Natural Herbs and accupuncture does wonder for the older pups that have a hard time getting around!

~Kay, Athena, Ace, Kiara, Mufasa, & Alice!
    "So baby take a axe to your makeup kit
    Set ablaze the billboards and their advertisements
    Love with all your hearts and never forget
    How good it feels to be alive
    And strive for your desire"

-rx bandits

I'm sorry I have been so negligent about responding here. The grandkids are in New York with their father this week so a little of the busyness has been cut down. Although I miss them like crazy!

I took Cinder back to the vet yesterday. I am just so happy that we have such good vets. After we discussed how Cinder was doing, he said "I have been thinking so much about Cinder this week. How could I not? Her symptoms fit one thing but not completely. I am just not sure where to go from here." He wanted me to take her to the Ohio State Medical School Vet Clinic which is where I took Snoopy. It is a very expensive place to take her especially since you all have given me several options to try first. (and he has admitted that he isn't sure they can give me much more help than he has). I just haven't decided where to start. Kay has suggested acupuncture - I don't think anyone in town does that but the vet thought there is someone in Toledo. Amy said Spot has had laser treatments - the only problem with that the vet said is that we need to have a better idea of exactly where the problem area is. And when I went to see him, I didn't take my purse as I have enough to handle and therefore did not have the name of the drug several of you have suggested (Adequan). I did find out later that they have used that - I just don't know if that is a good option or not for Cinder. He said he would support us in whatever we decided to try.

By the way, Phred had already been giving both dogs Glucosamine and we have continued to do so since they have come to live with us.

As an aside that was a little funny, the vet said did you take her to a groomer? Her coat is so pretty today. I laughed and said no, I have been brushing her every night - now she is a captive and can't get away from me because she doesn't like to be brushed. (I think that has changed some because she now likes it when I get down by her and just sit there and brush and brush and tell her how good she is and how pretty she is - there is a few other dogs that think she is being spoiled and aren't so thrilled about the time I give her although a couple of them are much like she was and really don't like to stand still long enough to be brushed thoroughly.)

It is so hard to watch her like this because it came on so fast. Before that everyday as we walked the hallway from my bedroom to the kitchen she would walk ahead of me and keep looking back and giving a little jump like a puppy does when they are excited about going out. I can't imagine her having to live like this the rest of her life.

And by the way, by Phreds timeline she was 13 in January.

"That they may have a little peace, even the best
    dogs are compelled to snarl occasionally."
    --William Feather

With Spot, we started with X-rays to see where the problem was. We knew it was his leg, but weren't sure hip or knee. I would think (though I am not sure) it would be the same with accupunture.

We also have a place by us that does massage and water therapy (it is just off Secor before, you get to Alexis). Ralph has golfed with the owner. Maybe we could talk to them and see if they know anyone that does the accupunture or if they have suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincy'sMom View Post
    With Spot, we started with X-rays to see where the problem was. We knew it was his leg, but weren't sure hip or knee. I would think (though I am not sure) it would be the same with accupunture.

We also have a place by us that does massage and water therapy (it is just off Secor before, you get to Alexis). Ralph has golfed with the owner. Maybe we could talk to them and see if they know anyone that does the accupunture or if they have suggestions.

Sounds like a good idea. It would be good to know where the problem is exactly, or what all is involved if there
    is more than one thing causing the problem. Can Cinder stand at all?
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Oh dear, so hard! I guess you need to figure out where / what the issue is. And with most things, the sooner that step happens, the easier it is to heal / recover.

How is Cinder doing now?

I'm not replying often, but do check on this thread. Cinder is in my thoughts.
    I will help with money if an expensive treatment is needed.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

Well, I just got off the phone with Nancy (Phred's sister) - she was calling to find out how Cinder was doing and I decided it was time I put it on here. Cinder has degenerative myelopathy.

This is taken from Wikipedia: Canine degenerative myelopathy
    (also known as chronic degenerative radiculomyelopathy) is a progressive disease of the spinal cord in older dogs. The disease has an insidious onset typically between 7 and 14 years of age. It begins with a loss of coordination (ataxia) in the hind limbs. As of July 15, 2008 the mutated gene responsible for DM has been found present in 43 breeds including German Shepherds, Boxers, Chesapeake Bay Retrievers, Rhodesian Ridgebacks, and both breeds of Welsh Corgis. The disease is chronic and progressive, and resulting in paralysis. The myelin is an insulating sheath around neurons in the spinal cord. One proposed cause of degenerative myelopathy is that the immune system attacks this sheath, breaking it down. This results in a loss of communication between nerves in lower body of the animal and the brain.

Degenerative myelopathy initially affects the back legs and causes muscle weakness and loss, and lack of coordination. These cause a staggering affect that may appear to be arthritis. The dog may drag one or both rear paws when it walks. This dragging can cause the nails of one foot to be worn down. The condition may lead to extensive paralysis of the back legs. As the disease progresses, the animal may display symptoms such as incontinence and has considerable difficulties with both balance and walking. If allowed to progress, the animal will show front limb involvement and extensive muscle atrophy. Eventually cranial nerve or respiratory muscle involvement necessitates euthanasia. Progression of the disease is generally slow but highly variable. The animal could be crippled within a few months, or may survive up to three years or more.
    This is not the news we wanted to hear. We love Cinder so much and she has been so healthy and to have this just suddenly attack is not what we expected. She is doing a little better than she was - she can now go out by herself but can't get in unless we help her up the steps. However, we don't look forward to what the next months will bring. I will write more in the next couple of days but have to get off now. Please keep those prayers acoming.

"That they may have a little peace, even the best
    dogs are compelled to snarl occasionally."
    --William Feather

I am so sorry to hear this. Prayers for Cinder and your family.
    Anne
    Meowmie to Lucy Lou and Barney, and Aunt to Timmy (RIP)

Former kitties now in foster care: Nellie aka Eleanor van Fluffytail (at a Cat Cafe), Lady Jane Grey, Bob the Bobtail, and Callie. Kimi has been adopted into another family that understands Siamese. HRH Oliver Woodrow von Katz is in a Sanctuary.

I'm Homeless, but with resources, and learning to live again.

RIP Timmy (nephew kitty) May 17, 2018, Mr. Spunky (May 10, 2017), Samwise (Dec 2, 2014), Emily (Oct 8, 2013), Rose (Sept 24, 2001), Maggie (Fall 2003)