Thread: Advice...summer classes?

Advice...summer classes?

Hey guys,

As you know, I go to a community college. My sister and I figured out all my classes very early on and I found a program I'd really like to transfer to for a Wildlife Conservation Degree. I changed my major to Science so I could get a more flexible program and transfer very easily to the four year university. But anyway, to do this, I'm going to need to take summer classes for a variety of reasons. I am planning on taking Int. Algebra over the summer and Biology 101, which is the basics in Bio. I've taken both Bio and Algebra in high school and passed with flying colors. My only problem is, well, I'm not too good at math and as a science major this can be a problem. Summer classes are much shorter then regular semester classes. They're about 5/6 weeks as opposed to 11/16 weeks. Does anyone have experiences with summer classes? I made an appointment with my counselor to ask him his opinion. I guess I just sell myself short ALL the time and I can't help it when it comes to math. Biology I am not worried about, but the math class I kind of am. I know alot of girls who took the math class over the summer from four year schools and they passed...I just am worried it's a bit fast-paced but I think I could do it. It's not calculus or anything. It's basic algebra.

Thanks for any input/advice. I am finally fixing up my GPA (I got a 3.77 for fall term) and I don't wanna screw it up.

I would not stress too much about it. The classes are shorter, but as you are not taking as many classes as one would during a normal semester, you can concentrate more on the task at hand.
    I've Been Frosted

I've been told they can't throw as much information at you in a summer class versus a full term class. I'm probably retaking chemistry over the summer, maybe taking organic chem 1. Lots of people take them and do fine. Since it's basic algebra, I think you will be fine, and basic bio should NOT be that bad. As long as you think you can do it and you have the study skills to keep up with the pace, you should do excellent!
    ♥Bri [HUMAN]♥
    ♥Lily [POMERANIAN], Brennan [APBT], Bailey [APBT/HOUND MIX]♥
    ♥Tallulah[CALICO], Domino [TUXIE]♥
    ♥Peach [RAT], Pepper [RAT], Phoebe [RAT], and PipSqueak [RAT]
    ♥Salvatore [BETTA]♥

“Dream what you want to dream; go where you want to go; be what you want to be,
    because you have only one life and one chance to do all the things you want to do.”

In Loving Memory <3
    Roxy Lily Brennan
    Facebook TigerLily Photography

Things may have changed...

When I was at university I wanted to graduate a year early so I went to school all year. I took 12 credit hours in the summer. I QUICKLY learned to be very selective in what I took in summer. I was also working parttime. I took a tough course - I think it was micro-economics or the like the first session along with some other course. My palms still get sweaty when I think about it. I passed it but not easily.

That is only my experieince but I would look closely at what will be required and how much time you will have to devote to studying outside of the classroom!

Thanks for the input guys! I really am motivated for the challenge, to not only graduate on time, but really work for this degree. I think I decided I am taking them. Alot of my friends are taking summer courses so that helps.

ES, trust me, I am NOT taking 12 credits! This is 7 I think, and they are in different terms, one in the first term, one in the third so they will not be at the same time! I am also working part-time but my job is very flexible.

Bri, good luck with Chemistry!

If I could do my degree over again, I would take summer classes every semester. I only did it one year; I took a psychology course again (that I had failed) and got over 80%, and two of my Shakespeare requirements and also did really well. They were my most favourite classes of my entire 4 years. Because I was with the same people every day for a longer time, I actually got to know people and made connections. I also wasn't able to procrastinate so I had more focus.

Good luck in your summer courses!