Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fun Topic: How did your cat or cats get their names ?

Quote Originally Posted by Abby&Buddy'sMom View Post
    I thought this would be fun and interesting too. How did your kitties get their name ?
    What a great idea! I'm enjoying very much reading this thread!

Our beloved RB Chester got his name after Chester Cheetah, the mascot of Cheetos, since he was an orange little boy
    He was very peaceful and used to sit inside a box or in the window for hours, as if he was concentrated, meditating on something so we used to say "cats are wise"
    Then when we got a certain little girl we didn't know how to name her; first I wanted to name her "Perlita" (little Pearl) but my brother didn't like it, so I said "Sophia", because that name means "wisdom", since cats are wise... and made sense, so we named her Sophie Helena
    astrid

Pouncer: Jen L was his foster mommy. Gary offered the name of his beloved RB Pouncer. The name fit and stayed.

Harry: He was found in the yard of an old couple. The guy's name was Harold. Harry came to me as a foster with the name spelled Harrie. I tried to adopt him out, and when the adoption fell through, hubby announced that he wanted Harry to stay. By then, I was so used to calling him Harry, so his name stuck.

Abby: Was found with Harry. The old lady's name was Evelyn. She was called Evie and hubby thought I was saying Abby. Abby fit her bteer so it stayed. I took her to a couple adoption events and cried my eyes out each time someone looked at her. She stayed.

Flutter: She was yet another foster who came to me with her name. I HATED it (still fon't like the name) because it was mocking her disability -- her little half leg stuck out and fluttered as she walked. We had the leg amputated, but by then the name stuck. I call her a hundred names other than Flutter. Butter, BeeGee (Butter Girl) Madame ButterBy. And so on

Mikey: I found him while walking Callie. He came up to us and headbumped Callie (the absolutely CRAZY and hyper dog, so you have to understand how utterly amazing that action had to be!) The guy at the apartment building told me Mikey was left behind and that his name was Mikey. He answered to it, so it stuck.

Trixie: She was a Tricky little magician/escape arftist. I'd find her in drawers and cabinets that I opened for 5 whole seconds. I'd find her OUT of cages and rooms I locked her in. Trixie performed tricks.

Mystic: My little mystery boy. Quiet and hesitant and watchful. He's definitely lived up to his name.

3. Eddie was given the name "Eduardo" here on PetTalk. Was it Cataholic who named him? To match Edwina.

And yes, they know their names and do not get confused!

Most of my cats got their names because of their appearance and/or their story. Angel was a tiny white female kitten. Shadow is black. Little Orphan Annie is a calico cat who had a very rough start in life. She is the reason I found Pet Talk and to this day I credit many of you on here for giving me advice on how to care for her and bring her back to health, but even more impotantly for the thousands of prayers that Pet Talkers sent up for her. Dottie is a Tuxedo cat and it took me the longest to think of a name to fit her. Spook is a little black cat that came to us as a tiny black kitten in October of 2008. He had a TERRIBLE eye infection and had to have his eye surgically removed.

S.A.M. aka "Sammy" is a long-haired black and white cat with feet that look like they have "Socks And Mittens" on them. So her name is made from those initials. Kingston was found up inside a car engine in the parking lot at a hospital near where I work. The name of the Street where he must have climbed up into the car's engine compartment is Kingston Avenue. And Casper is a white kitten who we just got in October. White cat in the month of October, when Halloween is celebrated, just seemed logical to name him Casper. And with our other "October" cat named Spook, it is a good topic of conversation sometimes!

I am really enjoying everyones stories So interesting to read about how all these beloved kitties names came to be .
    Nothing says love like a kitty purring in you ear

1-1-06 buddy in basket bright

Cleo: the petshop where I got Cleo thought he was a she and were calling him Cleopatra. I kept the name and called him Cleo.
    After I learned he was a male, I still called him Cleo but said it was short for Cleophus a man's name found in the Bible.

Felicia: she was named after Felicia Sanders a singer from the 40s and early 50s. I had heard the "Song From the Moulin Rouge" with Felicia Sanders doing the vocal. I fell in love with the name Felicia, and thats what I named my next cat.

Inly and Shadow were both black.

Beau: his full name was McCleo's Beau. I wanted to remember Cleo (who was only 6 when he died). I also took the MC from my last name. I cannot remember how I came up with the name Beau.
    Nancy

All things work together for good to them that love God.
    (Romans 8:28)

I've been defrosted-- Thanks, Sana

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    All of the PT dogs are feeling left out...............
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Puddy got her name from the cartoon "I tot I taw a puddy tat".

Peeka and Boo got their names b/c I named her and her brother Boo at the same time. Peeka/Boo

Pidgie warbled like a pigeon when I found her so I name her Pigeon and always called her Pidgie Pie.

Creamsicle had the color of a creamsicle and she was so tiny and cute that I said "Oh I could just eat you up!"

Yoda got her name from the Star Wars character b/c her ears were always flattened. However, later I learned that she had an ear polyp and that's why her ears looked that way. I call her Yodie Yodie now b/c we don't want any more ear polyps.

Specs has white circles around his eyes so that he looks like he's wearing spectacles.

Coco Puff had the cutest little brown testicles and when he walked away I said that they looked like furry little Coco Puffs. He doesn't have them any more but the name stuck.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

I adopted Storm from the Humane Society and they had named him Storm. I decided to keep it because I thought it suited him. Later on it has also fit his personality because he can be very moody or stormy at times.

My RB Pepper was adopted from Petco and his original name was Chocolate which I didn't really like. Since he was black, full of energy or pep, and he was sneezing a little bit he became Pepper. I never knew just how popular this name was when I named him.

My RB Sunny didn't even have a name and he was 8 months old when I adopted him. Since he was orange and I already had a Storm, I decided to name him Sunny. I actually had the name picked ahead of time because I was looking to adopt an orange male cat. The name was perfect because he was such a happy boy and he always brought sunshine to my household.

Sky was originally named Herman which I hated. I fell in love with his sky blue eyes so I named him Sky after his eyes. He loves his name and if I ever call him Herman he'll ignore me.

Both Pearl & Ziggy Stardust were already named by another PT'er who was fostering them. I liked their names so I kept them. The name Pearl also has some meaning to me because this was my grandmothers name.

My RB Starr was going to be adopted by a lady that I knew so she named him Sammy. She later decided that the timing wasn't right so I ended up adopting him. At the time I had Storm, Sunny, and Sky and I wanted a name that would fit in with these so I named him Starr.

The litter that my redheads came from were all named after deserts. Alani was originally named Tanami and Blaze was originally named Sahara. I didn't want to keep these names but I wanted names that would go with their orange/red coat colors. I always loved the name Blaze so that was an easy one. I looked at a list of cat names and I saw the name Alani which is Hawaiian for orange blossom tree. I thought it was perfect so this is how they became Alani & Blaze. So far I haven't heard of another cat named Alani and I get good comments about his name when I'm at the vets all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Soapets View Post
    S.A.M. aka "Sammy" is a long-haired black and white cat with feet that look like they have "Socks And Mittens" on them. So her name is made from those initials.
    I like the way you think, black and white cats with socks and mittens, I have always thought that black and white cats were supposed to be Sam cats, it goes way back to when I was about 12 and two of my friends had cats named Sam that were black and white and my neighbor's black and white cat that I used to petsit was named Sam and he is the one I named my RB cat Samantha after when I got her.

Milly and Izzy came with their names, but Izzy was called Isabelle (that is her name on her vet records), we thought about changing their names when we got them but Milly knew her name and always answers to it and Izzy decided she prefers to be called just Izzy. They both have a few nicknames, Milly even has a last name, Kwann because a year before I adopted Milly, my daughter used that as an online name, Izzy needed a last name too so she became Izzy Lou Who because she was no more than 2 when we got her and she reminded me a bit of cute little Cindy Lou Who from How the Grinch Stole Christmas. Milly has some nicknames like Mildred, Millicent and Millikins and even Milly Puff because we tease her that if she ever married her Pet Talk boyfriend Coco Puff that her last name would be Puff too. (I have to laugh at how Coco Puff actually got his name!)
    RIP sweet Samantha
    6/26/88-8/28/08
    ----------------------------

Milly & Izzy

This thread is pretty neat, I like reading everyone's stories.

We adopted Snow from a shelter. She preciously had that name and we decided to keep it since she is all white & well, looks like..snow. We usually call her "snowbelle" sometimes because when we first brought her home, she would always wear collars with bells. So the nickname stuck!

I found RB Sassy on the street. I named her after the cat in Homeward Bound. Big mistake, she lived up to the name!
    Missy was three months old when I got her from a coworker. I liked the name ok and it seemed to fit her, so I kept it.
    Angel came from a rescue and I just kept her name.
    Tessa, also from a rescue, was named Contessa, which is really her name, but I call her Tessa.
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

You could start your own thread in Dog General
    Anne
    Meowmie to Lucy Lou and Barney, and Aunt to Timmy (RIP)

Former kitties now in foster care: Nellie aka Eleanor van Fluffytail (at a Cat Cafe), Lady Jane Grey, Bob the Bobtail, and Callie. Kimi has been adopted into another family that understands Siamese. HRH Oliver Woodrow von Katz is in a Sanctuary.

I'm Homeless, but with resources, and learning to live again.

RIP Timmy (nephew kitty) May 17, 2018, Mr. Spunky (May 10, 2017), Samwise (Dec 2, 2014), Emily (Oct 8, 2013), Rose (Sept 24, 2001), Maggie (Fall 2003)

Quote Originally Posted by pomtzu View Post
    All of the PT dogs are feeling left out...............
    Quote Originally Posted by mrspunkysmom View Post
    You could start your own thread in Dog General
    'zactly!

On to my kitties...

RB Jamara: she was left behind at a rental house my sister owned ('nother topic)...her name was Phoebe, I didn't like it and I didn't want her having anything from her former life. I was doing a lot of research into white witchcraft and the Tarot at the time; came across the term Jamara, which was an ancient Indian term for a witch's familiar (a familiar is that through which a witch casts spells, oft times a black cat), she was solid grey, and I thought it was perfect. Most of her 18 years I had to spell it for people, as well as tell them to stop calling her Jo-Mamma, but, you know...

Pinot: we went out to the shelter, this kitty picked us (story told many times), and she was a tiny tabby named "Zoe". She came to her home with us and I was adamant we had to name her and get a collar/tag for her immediately (I don't like un-tagged furbabies). We went over a large list of options, including several in other languages meaning 'small' or 'tiny' due to her 5lb size, the last on the list being 'Pico'. My husband vetoed it, and said, what else do you have? I said the next word that came to mind and it was 'Pinot' - he said "that has possibilities". So....Pinot she became, and her middle name is Noir, not Grigio.
    http://bestsmileys.com/cats1/4.gif

​GO RAVENS!!