Thread: Fun Topic: How did your cat or cats get their names ?

Hybrid View

My Princess is so regal that there was no other name for her
    Michael Bo Bo Sam Precious and Moose were already named, and I could not improve on them!!!
    Miquelito is little Michael, and Pouncierge was named after Pouncer ,My First Cat
    Malcom was named after Malcolm in the Middle as he was between Gregory and Terrance the Feral Tabbies.
    And Josephine was named after Juke Joint Joseph.
    I am old I will have to continue tomorrow.
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

Pouncer: Jen L was his foster mommy. Gary offered the name of his beloved RB Pouncer. The name fit and stayed.

Harry: He was found in the yard of an old couple. The guy's name was Harold. Harry came to me as a foster with the name spelled Harrie. I tried to adopt him out, and when the adoption fell through, hubby announced that he wanted Harry to stay. By then, I was so used to calling him Harry, so his name stuck.

Abby: Was found with Harry. The old lady's name was Evelyn. She was called Evie and hubby thought I was saying Abby. Abby fit her bteer so it stayed. I took her to a couple adoption events and cried my eyes out each time someone looked at her. She stayed.

Flutter: She was yet another foster who came to me with her name. I HATED it (still fon't like the name) because it was mocking her disability -- her little half leg stuck out and fluttered as she walked. We had the leg amputated, but by then the name stuck. I call her a hundred names other than Flutter. Butter, BeeGee (Butter Girl) Madame ButterBy. And so on

Mikey: I found him while walking Callie. He came up to us and headbumped Callie (the absolutely CRAZY and hyper dog, so you have to understand how utterly amazing that action had to be!) The guy at the apartment building told me Mikey was left behind and that his name was Mikey. He answered to it, so it stuck.

Trixie: She was a Tricky little magician/escape arftist. I'd find her in drawers and cabinets that I opened for 5 whole seconds. I'd find her OUT of cages and rooms I locked her in. Trixie performed tricks.

Mystic: My little mystery boy. Quiet and hesitant and watchful. He's definitely lived up to his name.

Eddie was given the name "Eduardo" here on PetTalk. Was it Cataholic who named him? To match Edwina.

And yes, they know their names and do not get confused!

Most of my cats got their names because of their appearance and/or their story. Angel was a tiny white female kitten. Shadow is black. Little Orphan Annie is a calico cat who had a very rough start in life. She is the reason I found Pet Talk and to this day I credit many of you on here for giving me advice on how to care for her and bring her back to health, but even more impotantly for the thousands of prayers that Pet Talkers sent up for her. Dottie is a Tuxedo cat and it took me the longest to think of a name to fit her. Spook is a little black cat that came to us as a tiny black kitten in October of 2008. He had a TERRIBLE eye infection and had to have his eye surgically removed.

S.A.M. aka "Sammy" is a long-haired black and white cat with feet that look like they have "Socks And Mittens" on them. So her name is made from those initials. Kingston was found up inside a car engine in the parking lot at a hospital near where I work. The name of the Street where he must have climbed up into the car's engine compartment is Kingston Avenue. And Casper is a white kitten who we just got in October. White cat in the month of October, when Halloween is celebrated, just seemed logical to name him Casper. And with our other "October" cat named Spook, it is a good topic of conversation sometimes!

I am really enjoying everyones stories So interesting to read about how all these beloved kitties names came to be .
    Nothing says love like a kitty purring in you ear

1-1-06 buddy in basket bright

Cleo: the petshop where I got Cleo thought he was a she and were calling him Cleopatra. I kept the name and called him Cleo.
    After I learned he was a male, I still called him Cleo but said it was short for Cleophus a man's name found in the Bible.

Felicia: she was named after Felicia Sanders a singer from the 40s and early 50s. I had heard the "Song From the Moulin Rouge" with Felicia Sanders doing the vocal. I fell in love with the name Felicia, and thats what I named my next cat.

Inly and Shadow were both black.

Beau: his full name was McCleo's Beau. I wanted to remember Cleo (who was only 6 when he died). I also took the MC from my last name. I cannot remember how I came up with the name Beau.
    Nancy

All things work together for good to them that love God.
    (Romans 8:28)

I've been defrosted-- Thanks, Sana

Quote Originally Posted by Soapets View Post
    S.A.M. aka "Sammy" is a long-haired black and white cat with feet that look like they have "Socks And Mittens" on them. So her name is made from those initials.
    I like the way you think, black and white cats with socks and mittens, I have always thought that black and white cats were supposed to be Sam cats, it goes way back to when I was about 12 and two of my friends had cats named Sam that were black and white and my neighbor's black and white cat that I used to petsit was named Sam and he is the one I named my RB cat Samantha after when I got her.

Milly and Izzy came with their names, but Izzy was called Isabelle (that is her name on her vet records), we thought about changing their names when we got them but Milly knew her name and always answers to it and Izzy decided she prefers to be called just Izzy. They both have a few nicknames, Milly even has a last name, Kwann because a year before I adopted Milly, my daughter used that as an online name, Izzy needed a last name too so she became Izzy Lou Who because she was no more than 2 when we got her and she reminded me a bit of cute little Cindy Lou Who from How the Grinch Stole Christmas. Milly has some nicknames like Mildred, Millicent and Millikins and even Milly Puff because we tease her that if she ever married her Pet Talk boyfriend Coco Puff that her last name would be Puff too. (I have to laugh at how Coco Puff actually got his name!)
    RIP sweet Samantha
    6/26/88-8/28/08
    ----------------------------

Milly & Izzy

This thread is pretty neat, I like reading everyone's stories.

We adopted Snow from a shelter. She preciously had that name and we decided to keep it since she is all white & well, looks like..snow. We usually call her "snowbelle" sometimes because when we first brought her home, she would always wear collars with bells. So the nickname stuck!

Tallulah just seemed like a quirky name (and my mom came up with it because of Demi Moore's daughter, I think), and Tallulah is quirky and a calico, so it fit!

Domino sort of kept with my Disney themed names here and stole this one from 101 Dalmatians; however, he's black and white like a domino, so that worked too!
    ♥Bri [HUMAN]♥
    ♥Lily [POMERANIAN], Brennan [APBT], Bailey [APBT/HOUND MIX]♥
    ♥Tallulah[CALICO], Domino [TUXIE]♥
    ♥Peach [RAT], Pepper [RAT], Phoebe [RAT], and PipSqueak [RAT]
    ♥Salvatore [BETTA]♥

“Dream what you want to dream; go where you want to go; be what you want to be,
    because you have only one life and one chance to do all the things you want to do.”

In Loving Memory <3
    Roxy Lily Brennan
    Facebook TigerLily Photography

Trillian (Our little tuxie who doesn't come out unless she KNOWS who's in the house) was named after the character in Hitchhiker's guide to the Galaxy.

Patch, who should have been named psycho kitty, was named by our son shortly after he wandered into the yard and moved in. His coloring is patchy, hence the name.
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

Napoleon got his name because when he found me he was extremely thin and "Boney" which was the nickname that the British soldiers gave Napoleon Bonaparte!I am glad to say he is no longer bony and is mostly called Napper because he sleeps a lot , lol!
    Lilith Cherry
    "
    "Love never claims, it ever gives. Love ever suffers, never resents, never revenges itself." -Mahatma Gandhi