Thread: A plea that all animal shelters set no-kill policies

A plea that all animal shelters set no-kill policies

From the Detroit Free Press, Dec. 29, 2011:

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...=2011112290397
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

Well, I work at a low kill shelter. Only really sick animals or aggressive animals are euthanized. But, we try to get the sick animals better. You cannot adopt out an aggressive animal. The only ones we have euth'd were bite cases or if they didn't come around in a certain period of time. They do all deserve a chance, yes but you cannot adopt out aggressive animals knowingly. In a perfect world, there would be a home for every animal. I think midwestern and southern shelters get in a lot of animals a day. We usually don't. I blame it on the backyard breeders and irresponsible owners why there are so many animals in shelters today. I am not sure exactly how the Michigan shelters are run. But, gassing is really inhumane and I couldn't see myself shoving animals into a gas chamber and dying a really cruel death. We take them to the vet. Heart sticks are a really inhumane way to die as well. It is not that expensive to take them to the vet AND I could not work at a shelter that gasses or uses heart sticks.

I am not sure I agree with the no kill movement. I have mixed feelings on the issues. I do not think healthy animals that are stable in temperament and health should be put down at all. Nor should a dog be put down for being a certain breed. I think the only animals that should be put down are the ones that are aggressive with proper evaluation of course. Because sometimes the behavior evaluations aren't done correctly. I do not think a dog should be put down for food aggression or dog aggression.

Only human aggression. Also, animals that are really sick and are not going to get better should be put down. Too many people try to play "hero" to really sick animals that will never get better. I also do not think that animals should be warehoused in a shelter for all of their lives. If there are foster homes available USE them. Don't make a dog or a cat spend it's life in a kennel with minimum socialization. It's not fair for them and so many shelters should accept volunteers. Some just don't, but SHOULD. It makes the animal's stay much better. If done right, shelters can be no kill but there needs to be made known one just cannot save them all, regardless if it's a no kill shelter. Shelters don't have a million kennels to house animals, so most are euth'd for space which isn't fair but make no mistake it's hard for the shelter workers who are true animal lovers. They don't kill them for the sake of killing, but as long as we have pet overpopulation and irresponsible owners; there will never be an end to it. JMO.
    Krista- owned by Rudy, Dixie, Miagi & Angel

Rocky, Jenny, Ginger Buster & Tiger .. forever loved & always in my heart..

yeah I'm kinda on the fence about the no-kill thing myself. I mean the local shelters are euthenizing mass quantities of animals every day and they're still over capacity. I hate that so many animals have to die but there just isn't room to house them all forever, unless we build an additional shelter every week to keep up with the exploding pet population.

I think working towards a no kill nation is the only way we can move forward humanely. A no kill nation is not simply about stopping the mass killings that go on in the shelters today. It is a philosophy that recognizes that all life is precious, that there needs to be education about responsible pet ownership, a better criminal system to deal with the abuse of animals already in our world, promotion of spay/neuter, and a different way of managing the over population. I think a no kill nation is entirely possible. However, it is a new paradigm of thought, and it requires ownership by all of us. Sure, we do have a pet over population. But, we also have a disposable attitude, and 'its just a animal' attitude that needs to be dealt with.

Don't ever think what any of us do, alone, doesn't work.

Tony La Russa's Animal Rescue Foundation is a no-kill shelter. They only bring in animals from surrounding shelters that are adoptable and their time has run out at the shelter. There have been animals at ARF for 3 or 4 years until they are adopted. That is the ONLY way I could possibly volunteer there. Plus they are not in cages, but nice rooms we call condos.

I wish all shelters could be no-kill, but I don't see that happening.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

Quote Originally Posted by Cataholic View Post
    I think working towards a no kill nation is the only way we can move forward humanely. A no kill nation is not simply about stopping the mass killings that go on in the shelters today. It is a philosophy that recognizes that all life is precious, that there needs to be education about responsible pet ownership, a better criminal system to deal with the abuse of animals already in our world, promotion of spay/neuter, and a different way of managing the over population. I think a no kill nation is entirely possible. However, it is a new paradigm of thought, and it requires ownership by all of us. Sure, we do have a pet over population. But, we also have a disposable attitude, and 'its just a animal' attitude that needs to be dealt with.

Don't ever think what any of us do, alone, doesn't work.
    i agree with you completely about this, Cataholic. This was why I posted the article, because I think it is putting the idea out there as something to work toward.

Things won't miraculously change overnight, but we can all do our part to work towards this change of societal attitudes about and care for animals.

Pat
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery