Thread: Law to protect family pets against domestic violence

Law to protect family pets against domestic violence

From "The Trentonian, Monday, January 23

Domestic violence restraining orders are no longer just for people in New Jersey, as a new law allows judges to issue the protection from abuse for family pets as well.
    "For many pet owners, a pet is a member of their family. To harm or even kill a defenseless pet simply to get back at a partner is cowardly and cruel," said Assemblyman Reed Gusciora, D, Mercer, co-sponsor of the law.
    The law, crafted after a similar measure in Maine, authorizes the courts to issue orders protecting animals in situations where a person abuses or threatens to abuse an animal as part of a domestic dispute. Animals were not directly covered in the state's old domestic violence law, said Eva Loayza, spokesperson for the Assembly Democrats.
    The law signed last week by Gov. Chris Christie will not only protect the animals involved in domestic violence cases, but will also have a direct impact on protecting the people who are targeted, said Kathleen Schatzmann, director of the Humane Society of the United States, New Jersey chapter.
    Other co-sponsors of the Domestic Violence Pet Protection Law include Sen. Tom Kean Jr., Sen. Jeff Van Drew, Assemblywoman Connie Wagner and Assemblywoman Charlotte Vandervalk.
    According to the American Humane Association, 71 percent of pet-owning women entering women's shelters reported their batterers had injured, maimed, killed or threatened family pets for revenge or to psychologically control their victims.
    "We applaud the legislature and Gov. Christie for recognizing the link between animal cruelty and human violence and for taking steps to protect animals and their families. This sends a strong message to abusers that they cannot victimize the creatures who comfort us," Schatzmann said.
    Legislators, she said, are realizing that animals are often viewed as beloved family members, and domestic violence abusers often target pets to intimidate or control their spouse or partner.
    Under the new law, the court may issue an order prohibiting a defendant charged with a crime or offense involving domestic violence, who is released on bail or personal recognizance, from having any contact with any animal owned, possessed, leased, kept or held by either party, or a minor child living in the household.
    It also lets the court mandate who will keep the animal.
    "We've heard so many stories of pets being abused or even killed as retaliation against a partner when a relationship goes sour," said Wagner. "Often times it's done without thinking as an attempt to hurt the other partner, but whether it's intentional or not, animals should not have to suffer. This is a humane measure designed to protect innocent pets from being the victim of a domestic dispute."
    Last edited by momcat; 01-23-2012 at 09:22 AM.
    FIND A PURPOSE IN LIFE.....BE A BAD EXAMPLE

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Yay for NJ and Chris Christie!!! I know that NJ has been the butt of a lot of jokes, but this is no joking matter, and it's about time that at least one state besides Maine has stepped forward in this matter. Here's hoping that EVERY state follows.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

God bless them.
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

Sounds like a good thing, too many abusers know that threatening a beloved pet is scarier to a person than damage to him or herself.
    I've Been Frosted

This is wonderful news.

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    Sounds like a good thing, too many abusers know that threatening a beloved pet is scarier to a person than damage to him or herself.
    You're absolutely right, Karen. Our Groucho isn't just a cat or a pet to Mike and me, he IS a very important member of our small family. All he has ever known from us is love and God have mercy on anyone who tries to hurt him because we sure won't
    FIND A PURPOSE IN LIFE.....BE A BAD EXAMPLE

I'll vote for that - it's about time this was recognized- Bravo NJ. Now if only this is adopted in every state, county, province, etc.--what a great justice for our beloved (family members) as I like to view my pets.
    Asiel

I've been frosted--- thank you Cassie'smom

I've been Boo'd----

That's great news!
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

AMEN NJ!!!! I hope more states, INCLUDING CT will follow suit!!

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!