Thread: I can't keep him out of his sutures! Help!

I can't keep him out of his sutures! Help!

I am at my wit's end here.

I can't keep Kyubey from chewing his sutures. He's wearing a soft E-collar, but he's figured out how to pull it so he can reach his sutures. He can wear a hard E-collar, but I don't want to leave him unable to get water while I'm at work this week.

I tried a no-sting bitter agent, and he licked it right up. I tried a tiny dog shirt, but it rubbed the sutures and he got it off. I tried an inflatable E-collar but he can get it off. Tried the next size down and he can still reach the sutures. I bought some calming treats which do seem to take the edge off, and he's on pain meds even though he doesn't seem to be in any pain.

Any ideas? Right now he's supervised round the clock, but that's just not going to be doable for the next two weeks.

I'm sorry to hear this. The only thing that I can suggest is to call your vet and let him/her know what's going on. Maybe your vet will have some good ideas. I know that by giving an animal pain medications, they sometimes feel too good so they won't rest and let themselves heal. Maybe you should try to give him fewer pain meds. I think I only gave my RB Starr his pain meds at night when he was more likely to sleep Good luck.

There's another type of e-collar called a bite-not collar. I don't know if this would work any better? http://www.dog.com/item/bitenot-coll...FQ41hwodmz3sTQ he shouldn't be able to get it off and he could still drink.

That is so frustratring when Our Cats do things that will hurt them like picking at thier stitches or racing outside when they ahve a purrfectly nice home.
    We are praying that Kyubey will not do sometyhing that will cause him any harm
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

Geepers, don't they find ways to worry us! I hope the vet has some ideas - maybe a pain relief medicine.