Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can someone please help me???

Quote Originally Posted by Cataholic View Post
    It must be regional. "Home fries" are not french fries at all here. "Home fries" are either shredded or cubed bits of potatoe served usually with breakfast type meals.

I like them all. Even McDonald's hash browns!
    I love McDonald's hash browns. Their breakfast food is my guilty pleasure.
    Fuzzies for Furries
    Northwest Opossum Society
    Zoology Major
    2 Virginia Opossums, 6 cats, 4 bearded dragons, 1 iguana, 1 red foot tortoise, 1 tripod chihuahua, 5 mice, dubia and hissing cockroaches as well as other misc animals that wander in and out of my home.

Quote Originally Posted by happylabs View Post
    I think of home fries as the cubed fried potatoes like you do, mostly eaten as a breakfast item. Hash browns they have at Perkins and are shredded potatoes which in my opinion they never brown up enough so I don't order them any longer. Hash browns are also the formed patties of shredded potatoes that McDonald's sells. But hash is definitely shredded.

If your significant other is a man, never send them to the store. They will mess it up on purpose so you don't send them again.
    LOL. Too funny!
    Fuzzies for Furries
    Zoology Major
    2 Virginia Opossums, 6 cats, 4 bearded dragons, 1 iguana, 1 red foot tortoise, 1 tripod chihuahua, 5 mice, dubia and hissing cockroaches as well as other misc animals that wander in and out of my home.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady's Human View Post
    I hate to disagree with my esteemed sister, but Home Fries are cubes of potato fried in a pan or on a griddle with various and sundry things added in, onions, bacon, peppers, etc.

Hash Browns are shredded potatoes fried on a grill.

The things McD's sells as hash browns are oversized 'tater tots.
    Thank you!!! And totally agree with you on the Mic D's being oversized tater tots. As far as driving, I don't drive.
    Fuzzies for Furries
    Zoology Major

I learned a long time ago and in cooking for people from all over the USA on those boats, that different people call the same things different names.

Special Needs Pets just leave bigger imprints on your heart!

Quote Originally Posted by Lady's Human View Post
    I hate to disagree with my esteemed sister, but Home Fries are cubes of potato fried in a pan or on a griddle with various and sundry things added in, onions, bacon, peppers, etc.
    I didn't know those were called home fries. I understand home fries to be long, rectangularly cut deep-fried potatoes. (Like oversized French fries) But I'd like a big serving of the LH version of home fries, please! No bacon in mine, though. Do I put some oil or butter in the pan before I saute it? Do I start with cooked potatoes and how big should the cubes be?
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

To make the best home fries, I think you need to start with cooked potatoes, though it is hard to handle them. Maybe partially cook them. And, use a press to absorb some of the water, or drain them. And, use a heavy duty cast iron skillet. I like them 'well done' (i.e., burnt). Throw in some onion, OO, and just fry them. Never really taste the same.

I use cooked potatoes, preferably cooled, then saute in the aforementioned heavy cast iron frying pan with onions, butter, and peppers, with just a touch of paprika, salt and pepper. Fry them until they're well browned.

Goes really well with an omelet. When I really cook breakfast, it takes me a while.
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

I think of sliced potatoes that have a nice ccrunchy edge from being in the frying pan but the interior is soft. Hashbrowns are hashbrowns, a completely different food.

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    Home fries I think of as thickly cut french fries, like steak fries, I guess. Hash browns are the cubes potatoes fried in a ban with maybe bacon and onion. or those kinda gross "patties" served at fast-food places that are simply shredded potatoes.
    That!!!

"Happy is the home with at least one cat" - Italian Proverb

Every life should have nine cats. – Anonymous

"I've been frosted."

Quote Originally Posted by catnapper View Post
    I think of sliced potatoes that have a nice ccrunchy edge from being in the frying pan but the interior is soft. Hashbrowns are hashbrowns, a completely different food.
    Exactly!
    Fuzzies for Furries
    Zoology Major