Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can someone please help me???

Can someone please help me???

I am having a bit of a debate with my significant other. I sent him to the store in search of home fries. Cut, cubed potatoes. So I have a question. When you hear the word home fries what do you think of? Do you think of hash browns? When I hear hash browns I think of sliced potatoes, usually served as a clump with a breakfast meal. Home fries are cubed, either with onions of peppers etc. Just curious.
    Last edited by luckies4me; 01-24-2012 at 05:26 PM.
    Fuzzies for Furries
    Northwest Opossum Society
    Zoology Major
    2 Virginia Opossums, 6 cats, 4 bearded dragons, 1 iguana, 1 red foot tortoise, 1 tripod chihuahua, 5 mice, dubia and hissing cockroaches as well as other misc animals that wander in and out of my home.

Home fries I think of as thickly cut french fries, like steak fries, I guess. Hash browns are the cubes potatoes fried in a pan with maybe bacon and onion, or those kinda gross "patties" served at fast-food places that are simply shredded potatoes.
    I've Been Frosted

Really? Cubed potatoes are home fries lol. I sent him the wiki link for clarification. And yes, when I think of hash browns I think of the fast food type shredded potatoes. I've never heard anyone think of french fries when they say home fries. lol. Thick fries are steak fries.
    Fuzzies for Furries
    Zoology Major
    2 Virginia Opossums, 6 cats, 4 bearded dragons, 1 iguana, 1 red foot tortoise, 1 tripod chihuahua, 5 mice, dubia and hissing cockroaches as well as other misc animals that wander in and out of my home.

I usually think home fries are the thicker square potatoes. Hash browns are either the really small squares or the rectangle potato patties...
    (like this:

Clover, Loki, Shadow, Pixel and Kyo

I agree with Karen, homefries are extra thick french fries...there is a "fries" in homefries lol.
    don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die....

I have been frosted!

Thanks Kfamr for the signature!

Fuzzies for Furries
    Zoology Major

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    Home fries I think of as thickly cut french fries, like steak fries, I guess. Hash browns are the cubes potatoes fried in a ban with maybe bacon and onion. or those kinda gross "patties" served at fast-food places that are simply shredded potatoes.
    I agree.

I think of home fries as the cubed fried potatoes like you do, mostly eaten as a breakfast item. Hash browns they have at Perkins and are shredded potatoes which in my opinion they never brown up enough so I don't order them any longer. Hash browns are also the formed patties of shredded potatoes that McDonald's sells. But hash is definitely shredded.

If your significant other is a man, never send them to the store. They will mess it up on purpose so you don't send them again.

Home fries to me are like steak fries; a thick cut french fry almost.

Hash brown can be two different things - a hash brown patty like they serve at a fast food place (you can also buy them and pop them in a toaster, or cook them in an oven) or hash brown potatoes, which are shredded and fried in a skillet.

Either way - yum!

I will miss you forever, my sweet Scooter Bug. You were my best friend. 9/21/1995 - 1/23/2010
    Goodbye, Oreo. Gone too soon. 4/2003 - 9/12/2011.
    Farewell & Godspeed, sweet Jadie Francine. You took a piece of my heart with you. 11/2002 - 8/8/2016
    Charlie kitty, aka: Mr. Meowy. Our home is far too silent now. 2003-6/14/2018

I hate to disagree with my esteemed sister, but Home Fries are cubes of potato fried in a pan or on a griddle with various and sundry things added in, onions, bacon, peppers, etc.

Hash Browns are shredded potatoes fried on a grill.

The things McD's sells as hash browns are oversized 'tater tots.
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

Btw, make sure your significant other is the one who drives you to the store, we all know how you gals are with driving. You can do the shopping, but like Greyhound says, leave the driving to us.
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

12. http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/home...000524064/?k=1Here's a photo that came up when I googled Home Fries....Looks like steak fries or home made french fries to me. I have never heard of home fries.

Perhaps it is a regional thing...like supper vs dinner. Where I come from a drinking fountain or water cooler is called "a bubbler". The utensil used to remove a piece of cake or pie is called...logically "a taker."

Yea I am with the others who say that home fries are another name for steak fries. That is what I think of when I hear home fries.

http://petoftheday.com/talk/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=32038&dateline=129651  4765
    My Family left to right Riku - Lynx Point Siamese mix, Riley - Domestic Short Hair Tabby, Phoebe - Domestic Medium Hair Tabby, Foxy - Australian Cattle Dog mix - March 2001 - September 15, 2012, Autumn - Labrador Retriever Mix
    Dear Husband and Myself - homo sapiens - James and Becky

It must be regional. "Home fries" are not french fries at all here. "Home fries" are either shredded or cubed bits of potatoe served usually with breakfast type meals.

I like them all. Even McDonald's hash browns!

It's obviously an area thing. Just like pop versus soda. I never heard anyone say pop until I moved to Oregon. I had no idea what they were talking about.
    Fuzzies for Furries
    Zoology Major