Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lacey is home. UPDATE P2 #17

Lacey is home. UPDATE P2 #17

Lacey spent the day at the vet, as she has had awful pain the past 2 weeks. We've been using Deramaxx for pain, but that wasn't going well either. The vet thought the pain was in her neck area; and as she had some tartar, we combined xrays with a dental, while she was under anesthesia.

The good news: xrays are fine, no issues are showing up.

The bad news: she had "mud mouth!" Extensive gum disease, pus, infection, clumps of tartar and food. She had 8 teeth extracted. In 3 to 5 days, she is going to feel MUCH better even than she felt this morning, when she went in. The vet was amazed, when they actually got in there, how bad it was. Dogs have a sort of wisdom tooth way in the back; it only has one root. Most dogs don't have these; Lacey had both of them. And once the tartar was removed, they came right out. In front of those are another 2 sort of like wisdom teeth as well, again only one root. These also, less than half the dogs have one, Lacey had both. And again, they were just hanging and came right out. She did have one 3-root molar which was very bad with infection. Once cleaned up, the roots were totally exposed; these are responsible for abscessing up into the back of the eye ( a VERY bad thing says the vet) so that one came out too. A few incisors in front also had to come out.

Lacey had a full set of teeth, something the vets very rarely see! All those 'sort of wisdom' teeth, lol. Given the condition of her mouth, and in particular the teeth way in back, vet suspects this was the pain we were seeing this past week, but time will tell as she heals.

I was supposed to bring her home and give her 3 pills -- um, no, please give her a pain injection here and all the others as well. I know my pups, and this girl does NOT take pills well at all, no way she was going to let me get them in her after a dental like this! So I have to start in the morning.

She started spinning around in the kennel in excitement when she heard Sugar and I walk in (she heard me talking, and Sugar had to bark at a dog in the waiting area).

Once home, she seemed restless and couldn't settle for almost an hour, then she feel asleep on the sofa, where she's been for 2 hours or more. We are off to bed now. In the morning I'll have to start with her pills. She was OK'd for small amounts of water and food tonight but she had absolutely no interest.
    Last edited by Freedom; 01-22-2012 at 07:52 PM.

Oh my! Poor Lacey got the works done today! I hope she's feeling better soon!
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

Poor thing! Yeah, after any anesthesia, it can take a while for one's appetite to return, so I'm not surprised she wasn't interested in dinner!
    I've Been Frosted

Goodness, that sounds like extensive work. I hope she feels better when it's all said and done.

I will miss you forever, my sweet Scooter Bug. You were my best friend. 9/21/1995 - 1/23/2010
    Goodbye, Oreo. Gone too soon. 4/2003 - 9/12/2011.
    Farewell & Godspeed, sweet Jadie Francine. You took a piece of my heart with you. 11/2002 - 8/8/2016
    Charlie kitty, aka: Mr. Meowy. Our home is far too silent now. 2003-6/14/2018

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Poor Lacey - she sure did go thru a lot. Here's hoping that she will feel better real soon.

Both of the Fuzzbuttz have bad teeth, but can't go under anesthesia for a cleaning because of their heart murmurs - and Sparky is even worse than Myndi. He had a real bad time about a year ago and even had some teeth fall out, and his gums were a mess, and now he is on an antibiotic for 5 days each month, to keep any further infections at bay. In an x-ray he had in December because he was coughing a lot (to rule out anything undetected that was going on), it showed his heart was very enlarged. He is now on a heart med and Lasix, and unless there be a need for emergency surgery for whatever reason, then going under is out of the question. Doc just manually removes tarter on both of them whenever they have to go in for a visit. They don't appear to be in any pain tho - thank goodness.

Kisses to Lacey - and of course the rest of the Fluffs, too!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Miss Lacey, oh my goodness! Big (((HUGS))) and I hope you will feel better today.
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Oh poor girl, I'm glad it's over with now. It hurts me just to think about
    the pain she must have felt. Hope she feels much better each day and
    bounces back to her old self.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Lacey had a good night, slept soundly right through.

This morning, I got about 1/4 cup of moist food in her, byt smearing a bit on her upper lip and letting her lick it; other than that she would not take it.

So then I tried to get the 3 pills in her; got her so worked up and nervous she threw up. Sigh, so I gave up.

I gave her a bowl of moist food when I fed the others, and she ate about half, so about a quarter cup again. She isn't settling down, restless, but she won't come NEAR me now, so not sure I can get any meds in her.

Usually it's only the cats I have trouble getting pills into.I mask any pill in a small bit of wet food
    and they take them easily.I'm sure you have tried just about everything by now, but hope you
    can get Lacey to take her meds next time. Heal up soon Lacey.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Does she like cheese? The only way I can get pills into Sparky is to hide them in a little Velveta cheese ball, or dissolve them in a little water and squirt that in with an eye dropper. Both these guys are impossible to pill, and cooperation is not in their vocabulary.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Lacey just ate about half a cup of canned food, plus half a "shake n bake" chicken breast - MY SUPPER! LOL

She is definitely doing better, and she is not having any part of her pills, silly girl!

Went to the vet this evening so Lacey could have 2 shots - penicillin as she has not taken any antibiotic, and a shot for pain relief. She refused to take any of her meds all day long. I felt awful carrying her in there, she was shaking like a leaf in a hurricane, and cried when we first went in the door. Came home and she threw up.

Poor girl. I hope she heals up quickly. Would your vet be able to give you the medication she needs with extra syringes so you don't have to keep bringing her back to him? I've had to do this before with my cats and as long as you feel comfortable with giving injections, it's so much easier to do them at home. Good luck.

Oh poor Lacey, she really has been through a lot... all those teeth coming out. She needs a few relaxed days. If only the medicine would taste of nothing, it would be so much easier - I hope you'll be able to give them to her, somehow. I like KAK's idea. Can you do that?

Gentle scritches to Lacey. Feel better soon, girl!

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Blog Entries
    Hope Lacey is feeling better today. She has been through a lot with her dental surgery. The penicillin shot should be long lasting more so then the pills. She ate you chicken besides she has to be feeling better. LOL!
    The frost is on the pumpkin & I've been BOO'D by two pet talk ghosts.
    Thank you Fritz & Cassiesmom