Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lacey is home. UPDATE P2 #17

Do you think she would be more likely to take the med in
    a liquid form? You could mix in any food that she likes. It would
    be better than nothing. Hope Lacey gets to feeling better soon.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

SUCCESS!

I haven't been on here all day, been working at trying to find a solution for Lacey. As of an hour ago, I think I have one!

Lacey had nothing to eat or drink since Wed at 6 PM (it is now Sunday at 8 PM). I did get a small bit of food in her twice, but that was vomited up. She has been miserable, in pain, won't take any meds, afraid to get near me, and not eating or drinking. NOT GOOD. This morning, she was so hungry she forgot and grabbed a hard biscuit from Marlin. The scream of pain as she bit down will ring in my ears for years. Just a horrible sound. Marlin got his cookie after all.

I found someone in Florida who works with dogs with health issues, and uses natural medicines, herbs and such, to heal them. Spent almost 2 hours on the phone with her, then went to The Vitamin Shoppe to buy what I needed (some stuff was for Sugar and her liver tests).

I made up a cup of chamomile tea, and another cup of slippery elm. Put both in the fridge for half an hour to cool down. Used a baby syringe (long story, WILLY ATE THE FIRST ONE! ) and gave her a full syringe of the chamomile on each side of her mouth, then the slippery elm on each side. Then, Halo canned dog food, also cold from the fridge, on a PLASTIC spoon. She has had about half a cup of food! I will wait at least an hour, and repeat the entire process. That will see her through the night.

Now I've done it once, it will go easier. This first time, Lacey was lying in her bed shaking the entire time. She is convinced she can never eat again because it hurts, and she can't trust me (I made a few mistakes along the way, like taking her to the vet in the first place! ) So I am slowly rebuilding her trust in me.

I am quite relieved.

Awww, Lacey! You can trust your mum to help you eat Fingers and paws crossed for you, sweet girl.
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

I hope that does the trick! Please eat Lacey!
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

I hope that she'll continue to improve and to regain your trust. Good luck.

Miss Lacey, I hope you are doing better!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Lacey is doing much better! Today I have not given her any chamomile or slippery elm. This morning she ate, licking canned food off a plate. At lunch - which is when I normally feed the dogs - she ate chicken and orzo (I made a chicken soup for Dad and I, gave her some) again licking it up from the plate. She is bright eyed and smiling, and did her bounce twice today. On our afternoon walk, when I was doling out pieces of cheese, she took one! She was very cautious with it, but it went down!

Tomorrow morning she has her post surgery recheck. I know she will be nervous going in the vet's and I plan to take treats with us for the staff and vet to give to her. I will have to give the vet all the info as to what happened.

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Yay Lacey - that's such good news to read that you're starting to feel better. Kisses XXXX to you, and of course for the other 4 sibs!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

WOOF! Thank you, Auntie Ellie!

Freedom and Lacey, how did the dentist visit go?

Kisses XXXX to you, and of course for the other 4 sibs!
    Some from me too, please and for the kitties too, please

Lacey saw her vet for the post op visit this morning. Healing is WELL on the way! She can eat moistened kibble now.

I explained all the problems we had, and the chamomile and slippery elm we used. Vet has noted NOT to give her buprenephrine again. They can use Metacam as an injectable in future.

I took along a baggie of cheese and had the vet give her 2; vet did see how stressed Lacey was just being there, and understands we need to work on that.

After, we went to a park and Lacey and I had a lovely walk. Been ages since it was just the 2 of us! Then this afternoon she came with me for the usual walk with Sugar, Tasha and Willy. I know one little doggie girl who is going to sleep well tonight ha haaa.

Glad that Lacey is healing up well. It's also good to know you have a Vet you
    can work with & listens to any concerns you have. I like that in a Vet.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

So glad your Lacey is getting better. You are a good mom!

Just checking to see how Lacey is doing?

Hi Robin, Lacey is fully recovered and back to her normal self. I hadn't realized, she was not acting right even before the first vet visit which led to all this. WOO HOO she is BA-ACK! He heee. Lacey sends her thanks to you and to everyone on PT who prayed for her and sent her healing wishes. So strange that the seeming neck pain was all related to the bad teeth.