Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: I've sometimes joked about the "Red Green Daycare", but I never thought....

I've sometimes joked about the "Red Green Daycare", but I never thought....

(Reference is to the Red Green TV show, where he created and fixed practically everything with duct tape).
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    And this hasn't been reported as child abuse - yet??? Maybe it's supposed to be funny, but what message does that send? It could give a lot of slightly unbalanced people an idea they never thought of. I've actually seen cases reported where mothers (or others), have actually used duct tape in similar situations on children.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Quote Originally Posted by pomtzu View Post
    And this hasn't been reported as child abuse - yet??? Maybe it's supposed to be funny, but what message does that send? It could give a lot of slightly unbalanced people an idea they never thought of. I've actually seen cases reported where mothers (or others), have actually used duct tape in similar situations on children.
    I agree. Not funny at all. I wasn't going to post a response until I saw yours. I thought the exact thing...copy cat people will do this to their kid. We have so many cases of child abuse in our news lately I just do not understand. Parents are becoming less and less interested in their children and they also seem to not have a clue as to how to raise them.

Guilty of bad taste

I am not as offended as the other two posting folks. I find the photo a bit odd but a tad funny. I think they are guilty of bad taste though. I would not post this in a public area.

Not many people would consider doing this to a child, but many a parent would like to have their child stay putt by any means.

If anyone with a child is persuaded to do this simply by this photo, then they shouldn't have a child.

I love kids just as much as the next guy.

The baby in the photo does not look distressed and does not look abused. I think these folks were trying to be funny. Failed.

Yes - I know someone was trying to be funny, but seeing any human or animal depicted in a situation that could be considered cruel or abusive, is offensive to me. There's enough cruelty/abuse in the real world without making jokes about it. JMHO of course.
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3

RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013

I don't know how many times I've threatened to do just that to the kids.

The difference between the pic and how many parents treat kids is what exactly? There's no difference between that and sticking them in front of the TV in their swing.
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

I don't understand what is cruel or abusive about this? stupid? yeah lol cruel? I don't think so. it looks like they were very careful to make sure none of the tape was touching any exposed skin, the child looks like they are sitting just as they would in many of the back packs and front carriers parents wear them in and doesn't seem to be uncomfortable. What is the risk to the child? What is the abuse exactly? What about it is cruel? stupid, yes, not a bright idea, absolutely... but child abuse? I don't think so.

R.I.P my dear Sweet Teddy. You will be missed forever. We love you.

http://www.hannahshands.etsy.com

I hail from South Carolina, but Texas is where I hang my hat :)
    Quote Originally Posted by sasvermont View Post
    I am not as offended as the other two posting folks. . . I think they are guilty of bad taste though. . .

If anyone with a child is persuaded to do this simply by this photo, then they shouldn't have a child.
    Agreed! I laughed when I saw it. Doesn't mean I'm a bad person. I wouldn't personally do this, even as a joke, but I don't find it offensive, either.
    The idea that some lives matter less is the root of all that is wrong with the world. - Dr. Paul Farmer

I hail from South Carolina, but Texas is where I hang my hat :)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady's Human View Post
    There's no difference between that and sticking them in front of the TV in their swing.
    I wouldn't say there's NO difference, but I do pretty much agree with this statement. So many people think nothing of leaving a child strapped in a seat or high chair for hours in front of a TV, and that's more abusive (even if it's not physically) than this silliness.

Now, if they left this baby in this situation for longer than the few minutes it took them to do it and photograph it, I'd be bothered. Not saying they did or didn't, because obviously, there's no way to know how long the child was taped to the wall. She looks completely content here. As does her duck pal.

I'm not making fun of those who think this is cruel, nor am i making light of child abuse (including the situations where the parent has used duct tape to harm a child), everyone has different senses of humor, different thresholds for what's offensive and not. I am personally not offended by it.
    The idea that some lives matter less is the root of all that is wrong with the world. - Dr. Paul Farmer

Quote Originally Posted by sparks19 View Post
    I don't understand what is cruel or abusive about this? stupid? yeah lol cruel? I don't think so. it looks like they were very careful to make sure none of the tape was touching any exposed skin, the child looks like they are sitting just as they would in many of the back packs and front carriers parents wear them in and doesn't seem to be uncomfortable. What is the risk to the child? What is the abuse exactly? What about it is cruel? stupid, yes, not a bright idea, absolutely... but child abuse? I don't think so.
    IMPLIED is the key word. I never said it was cruel or abusive to THIS child, but it does depict it. IMO.........
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3

RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013

There are stupid people everywhere, and I have seen in the news, stories of parents who put duct tape over a child's mouth, etc., and then posted pictures on the Internet, and were justly prosecuted.

But this photo looks pretty carefully done, and maybe when the child grows up, she'll be one of the girls who makes her prom dress out of duct tape - there's a competition for that every year!
    I've Been Frosted

Its kind of funny, but, I hope they brought the kid down soon.

I don't think it's cruel either. But it's not a very bright idea to post it on the internet for everyone to see either.

Quote Originally Posted by sparks19 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Alysser View Post
    I don't think it's cruel either. But it's not a very bright idea to post it on the internet for everyone to see either.
    Let's put it this way...have you ever tried to unstick anything that you have duct taped? It is not easy. What was the baby doing the whole time these idiots were doing this to the child?

It is very different than putting a child in a back pack or front carrier because you just slip the child into the carrier. It would take quite some time to tear off all of that duct tape and get a child that size to stay stuck to the wall.

I honestly cannot believe the mentality, or lack thereof, of parents these days.

I work on machinery for a living, I have used duct tape for many applications. It would take no more than a couple minutes to do what is depicted.

It's easy to remove quickly. Looking at the way this was done, it looks as if they had a pouch set up on the wall. Four quick slices with a knife and the kids is free.

Much ado about nothing, and frankly, the child doesn't look upset at all.
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.