Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: I've sometimes joked about the "Red Green Daycare", but I never thought....

Quote Originally Posted by finn's mom View Post
    Says he did this as punishment . . . not sure how it can also be a "joke that went too far". I never personally doubted that in many cases duct tape can be and is used to cause harm. I'd already heard several cases of these punishments.

My ONLY point is that the particular photo on this thread didn't offend me.

Someone said something about how no one would do something like this (duct tape) simply because they saw a picture of something like this (duct tape). I was merely suggesting that we should never underestimate the stupidity of people. Someone thought it was an appropriate punishment to duct tape a child's appendages, put them in a dog crate, and drip water on them. To me, punishment or not, that is stupidity.

I love practical jokes. I am the joker of the office. Duct taping a child to a wall as a joke or as a punishment or as a way to say, "I can do this" seems like a bad choice to me.

It reminds me of the late Michael Jackson, and his mistake of dangling his baby over a ledge/from a window. I don't doubt for a moment he didn't intend to place his child in danger. I don't doubt for a moment he thought of the public's perception of it. I think he made a poor choice. I have made plenty of them myself. I do go out of my way to limit them, and I would certainly never broadcast them on the internet.

I disagree with people that say this won't lead to someone else doing it. I think when we are exposed to photos like these, we lose a bit of the "what was she thinking" reaction. We see things (not just this photo) over and over again, and we become de-sensitized to them. That is what I think photos like these can do. De-sensitize us to conduct, and push the bounds of conduct. Eventually, it gets out of hand. It's 'ok' to do this to a child, and look, there is a stuffed animal in the picture, so we know it is all in good fun. Let's see if we can do it for 30 minutes. Wait! Let's see if she eventually falls asleep.

Watch the news, stupid stuff -that begins innocently enough- gets out of hand all the time. Why is locking a child in a dog crate any different than placing the child in a play pen? Because it seems wrong. We can't articulate it fully, but it just seems worse. That is how I see this picture. Was the baby harmed? I don't think so. Did it take 2 minutes to do this (which is kinda hard to believe), and did they immediately take the baby down? Maybe. It still just seems wrong.

I just saw a photo on Facebook of a guy duct taped to a tree. Supposedly he is a PETA member and they chose to rally about leather at a motorcycle event and the bikers taped him to a tree.
    I'm sorry...........but that one was funny.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

Quote Originally Posted by Taz_Zoee View Post
    I just saw a photo on Facebook of a guy duct taped to a tree. Supposedly he is a PETA member and they chose to rally about leather at a motorcycle event and the bikers taped him to a tree.
    I'm sorry...........but that one was funny.

I am pretty sure that was all made up. A staged event, with a willing adult. At least according to www.snopes.com, anyhow.

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Quote Originally Posted by Cataholic View Post
    Someone said something about how no one would do something like this (duct tape) simply because they saw a picture of something like this (duct tape). I was merely suggesting that we should never underestimate the stupidity of people. Someone thought it was an appropriate punishment to duct tape a child's appendages, put them in a dog crate, and drip water on them. To me, punishment or not, that is stupidity.

I love practical jokes. I am the joker of the office. Duct taping a child to a wall as a joke or as a punishment or as a way to say, "I can do this" seems like a bad choice to me.

It reminds me of the late Michael Jackson, and his mistake of dangling his baby over a ledge/from a window. I don't doubt for a moment he didn't intend to place his child in danger. I don't doubt for a moment he thought of the public's perception of it. I think he made a poor choice. I have made plenty of them myself. I do go out of my way to limit them, and I would certainly never broadcast them on the internet.

I disagree with people that say this won't lead to someone else doing it. I think when we are exposed to photos like these, we lose a bit of the "what was she thinking" reaction. We see things (not just this photo) over and over again, and we become de-sensitized to them. That is what I think photos like these can do. De-sensitize us to conduct, and push the bounds of conduct. Eventually, it gets out of hand. It's 'ok' to do this to a child, and look, there is a stuffed animal in the picture, so we know it is all in good fun. Let's see if we can do it for 30 minutes. Wait! Let's see if she eventually falls asleep.

Watch the news, stupid stuff -that begins innocently enough- gets out of hand all the time. Why is locking a child in a dog crate any different than placing the child in a play pen? Because it seems wrong. We can't articulate it fully, but it just seems worse. That is how I see this picture. Was the baby harmed? I don't think so. Did it take 2 minutes to do this (which is kinda hard to believe), and did they immediately take the baby down? Maybe. It still just seems wrong.

Thank you Johanna. You hit the nail on the head. Take a bow.

Maybe I should shut my mouth, but why start now................

I find it pathetic that people are up in arms over a comment made by a CT mayor, in which he said "I might eat tacos", when asked how he would support the Latino community, yet people (in general-not referring to any posters here), find that pics of kids being bound in various ways with duct tape is funny, and they are posting them all over the internet. What's wrong with that scenario?
    I found what the mayor said as rather funny, and it certainly didn't imply or suggest, any physical harm or abuse. Yet people are outraged by his statement. Why aren't people outraged by these pictures, and why do so many people find them funny??? I'm Italian, and if someone said they might eat pizza in support of the Italian community, I would laugh at that too!!! I still find nothing to laugh at in those pictures.

OMG - where is this country of ours headed???
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Quote Originally Posted by pomtzu View Post
    Thank you Johanna. You hit the nail on the head. Take a bow.

Maybe I should shut my mouth, but why start now................

I find it pathetic that people are up in arms over a comment made by a CT mayor, in which he said "I might eat tacos", when asked how he would support the Latino community, yet people (in general-not referring to any posters here), find that pics of kids being bound in various ways with duct tape is funny, and they are posting them all over the internet. What's wrong with that scenario?
    I found what the mayor said as rather funny, and it certainly didn't imply or suggest, any physical harm or abuse. Yet people are outraged by his statement. Why aren't people outraged by these pictures, and why do so many people find them funny??? I'm Italian, and if someone said they might eat pizza in support of the Italian community, I would laugh at that too!!! I still find nothing to laugh at in those pictures.

The Mayor you refer to is in charge of a police department that is under investigation for major civil rights abuses relating to their treatment of the hispanic population in the city. "I might eat tacos" is hardly humor, it's equivalent of saying I don't give a damn.

I find the pictures funny as I can easily see how they could be done with no harm to anyone, and the pic the OP posted doesn't show harm or abuse.

As to uses for duct tape, I'm guilty. I once duct taped a Lieutenant to his rack. I guess I'm guilty of officer abuse. Toss me in the jailhouse, I'm a potential abuser.

Maybe they should introduce a parental ID, and if you're a parent you're not allowed to buy duct tape, extension cords or rope of any sort just in case there might be the remote possibility that the person could use them in a crime of abuse.
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Again - it was failed to note that I stated IMPLY - just as I have said all along. Sheesh.............
    Selective reading???????
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

I understood your statement perfectly.

I simply disagree with elected representatives making dismissive statements about the population they are elected to represent.
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

Quote Originally Posted by pomtzu View Post

Did you read the back story behind the situation? Or just that one news piece? There's much more to it than the "tacos" statement, which I didn't find funny, just plain stupid. And there are discriminatory choices in place - you are Italian, if you lived in a city where it was half Italian, but only, say, Asians were allowed to be police officers, might you not be a bit touchy if an Asian official commented about meatballs?
    I've Been Frosted

Good gravy! Perhaps it is just my area of the country that believes duct tape is appropriate for children! This one was taped to the floor.

http://http://www.wcpo.com/dpp/news/...child-to-floor

10. I would equate the mayor's statement to that attributed to Marie-Antoinette- "Let them eat cake." It implied she didn't give a hoot that the people were starving.

The mayor implied, with his statement, that he didn't give a hoot about the hispanic population in his city.

Let's make the Italian example. A police department is accused of targeting citizens of Italian descent because they are of Italian descent. The mayor is asked what she is going to do to help the Italian community and she says..."eat lasagna."

There's a difference, ES. Marie's comment is apocryphal. The good mayor's comment was live.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady's Human View Post
    There's a difference, ES. Marie's comment is apocryphal. The good mayor's comment was live.
    While I can agree it is the sign of the digital times, I think most people do attribute that statement to Marie Antionette. Plus, I heard it in a movie, so I know it was said by her.

13. Quote Originally Posted by Lady's Human View Post
    That's where the "attributed to" comes in. And since I wasn't there...and I suspect you weren't either...we can go with Cataholic's "heard it in the movies."

Quote Originally Posted by Edwina's Secretary View Post
    That's where the "attributed to" comes in. And since I wasn't there...and I suspect you weren't either...we can go with Cataholic's "heard it in the movies."
    You weren't there? You sure about that?

15. Quote Originally Posted by Lady's Human View Post
    You weren't there? You sure about that?
    You found me out! I was the one in the front row with the knitting needles and balls of yarn...