Thread: is a vizsla a good first dog?

is a vizsla a good first dog?

Last edited by Demi Is A Digimon; 02-10-2013 at 06:45 AM.

I don't know about a good first dog, or not. I did find this info for you from the AKC standard:
    The Vizsla thrives as part of an active family that provides daily exercise. He is lively and affectionate to his people, and possesses an above-average ability to take training. Although he sheds, his short coat requires low daily maintenance.

http://www.akc.org/breeds/vizsla/

We have 2 in Willy's Agility class. They are very good at Agility! Both in terms of athleticism and following commands. One is not dog friendly and has to be muzzled and crated when not running a course. (And all of us have to keep our dogs leashed while that dog is running.) I don't know either dog's history, so I don't know if she had it from a puppy or not.

You may find this page helpful also:
    http://www.vizslaforums.com/index.php/topic,3320.0.html

She needs to research the breed she wants..before she gets any dog. They are highly active. If she has an active lifestyle; it could work! Not sure if I'd suggest a vizsla as a first dog. Maybe a lab?
    Krista- owned by Rudy, Dixie, Miagi & Angel

Rocky, Jenny, Ginger Buster & Tiger .. forever loved & always in my heart..

I don't think it's too bad of a recommendation as long as they are a very active family. Marathoners and extreme hikers have these dogs a lot of times along with dalmatians and rhodesian ridgebacks.
    Monica Callahan KPA-CTP *Woohoo!*

Shelter dogs are always good first dogs, too!
    http://bestsmileys.com/cats1/4.gif

​GO RAVENS!!

Quote Originally Posted by MonicanHonda View Post
    I don't think it's too bad of a recommendation as long as they are a very active family. Marathoners and extreme hikers have these dogs a lot of times along with dalmatians and rhodesian ridgebacks.
    Agreed! Make sure she researched whatever breed she chooses inside and out!

Kaitlyn (the human)
    Sadie & Rita (Forever in Our Hearts) (the Labbies)

Last edited by Demi Is A Digimon; 02-10-2013 at 06:46 AM.

And make sure to research your breeders thoroughly. Make sure they do health clearances and that they are proving the lines (whether it be a show breeder or a working/hunting breeder. Or both!) Even if she doesn't plan on showing or hunting, this improves the chances that her dog will be healthy and live a good long life. This may require being put on a waiting list, which means that she won't get that puppy RIGHT. NOW. But it also means she won't be supporting puppy mills or back yard breeders. There is a reason they have waiting lists. :-D
    Monica Callahan KPA-CTP *Woohoo!*

Vizslas have a tendency toward seperation anxiety so I don't recommend them for most first timers. This is not a kennel dog, its a family dog who will sit on your lap to be with you. Its a needy breed. If she wants a dog who goes into hysterics when left alone, this is the breed for her.

Vizslas have a tendency toward autoimmune skin disease, epilepsy, Von Willibrand's disease, and lymphosarcoma so they must be selected from a good breeder.

They need way more than a few walks. This is a working breed that thrives on having something to do with their brain. They usually like swimming. She has to do a lot of research on how to properly excercise them as puppies since she wouldn't want to ruin their wrist joints or elbows and hips. This is not an easy breed to keep from overstraining themselves as puppies.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton