Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Non-surgical ACL treatment

Non-surgical ACL treatment

Has anyone ever heard this before?
    I found a website that talks about it. As you may know, Zoee is at my moms to rest her knee. I researched ACL's and found this website that seems to be legit.
    The guy talks about how surgery isn't always the answer and there is ways to determine if surgery is really needed. My mom agreed to give this a try.

Has anyone here ever had a dog with a ligament problem and not had to have surgery done?

I just have to say...I my mom. This would not be possible without her. It would be impossible to keep Zoee from activity with Taggart around. I know she is in good hands (even though my dad is slightly allergic to her, heehee) and will be loved just as much as she is here. Although I really do miss her.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

I know of two people (grooming customers) who didn't do the surgery on dogs with ACL problems. One lady had a GSD, she found out about these supplements http://www.springtimeinc.com/ and had great success with them. I haven't researched it much myself but she told me often they have to have surgery on both knees because they mess up the other one taking weight off the injured one after surgery. The dog was still sore sometimes but overall she did great and could walk fine. Another grooming customer told me their golden retriever had torn her acl so I told her about the supplements as well. She was older (10ish?) when it happened so the vet had recommended not to do surgery. She used the supplements and after a year it was amazing the vet checked it again and said she didn't even need surgery at all...she was still a little sensitive about that leg but she walked fine, when it first happened she would not even put weight on it and lost all muscle tone.

My Lab mix Maggie injured her tendon early this summer. She could not
    put any weight on her left rear leg.

http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthre...ghlight=maggie

The Vet suggested rest & pain control meds first before considering any
    surgery. She told me I wasn't a badmom to resist surgery as a only option.
    She has Golden Retrievers & said she follows her own advice with them too.

It took a good two months of limited activity but she has recovered
    nicely. Still takes 1/2 a 100mg Rimyadil tablet each morning with blood
    tests every 3-4 months & she gets around fine.(knock wood )
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Never heard of that. My RB Lacey's ligaments where both torn in half, so I doubt anything but surgery would have helped her.
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

Yes I have. There is a magazine called Dogs Naturally (I believe its from Chicago) It just had an article about Ligament recovery without surgery.
    Monica Callahan KPA-CTP *Woohoo!*

Thanks for the replies!
    I think I will try the treatment on this website first. If that doesn't appear to be working then we might try those supplements Amy suggests. I'll try anything and rule it out before surgery.

I know her knee is not completely blown since she does use it sometimes. But my mom is limiting her activity down to just walking and not even a lot of that. She can't come home until we know its healed. That could even take a year....it just depends on the dog. Poor Taggart is missing her so much. All he does is mope around. We also miss her a lot!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

Quote Originally Posted by Taz_Zoee View Post

I know her knee is not completely blown since she does use it sometimes.
    Are you sure that's a sign it's not blown out? Seems Lacey could use her leg when we tried the 'resting' it for months. Not to be a party pooper, just trying to save you possible wasted months of trying to have it get better.
    Forever in my heart...

Quote Originally Posted by chocolatepuppy View Post
    Are you sure that's a sign it's not blown out? Seems Lacey could use her leg when we tried the 'resting' it for months. Not to be a party pooper, just trying to save you possible wasted months of trying to have it get better.
    Well the vet didn't really say it was blown. Just that it was the ACL...whatever that means. If the rest or supplements do not seem to be helping we will take her to another vet for a second opinion. The vet was not forcefully pushing surgery on me either. She just prescribed Previcox and Tramadol for her. I figured if it was severe the vet would be insisting surgery. The vet also knows she is at my moms on rest.

I know, the thought keeps crossing my mind that it could get worse if we don't do something about it NOW. But I do feel comfortable that my mom is limiting her activity enough that further injury should not happen.

Cindy, did your Vet actually do a hands on manipulation of the knee?
    They can usually tell the amount of damage from that alone.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Eleanor Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by lizbud View Post
    Cindy, did your Vet actually do a hands on manipulation of the knee?
    They can usually tell the amount of damage from that alone.
    Yes she did. She didn't feel anything. That's why she took an xray. And when she looked at the xray she thought it was arthritis. But then when the xray tech looked they said ACL and that she needed surgery. I don't think the vet agreed with that 100%, like I said.
    Another hard thing is...Zoee is so stoic when she's at the vet. She doesn't even flinch in pain when the leg is being manipulated so it's difficult to tell what hurts her.

Sorry, I didn't realise that you had xrays done too. It is hard to keep
    them as inactive as possible b/c the pain meds masks the damage so well.
    I did keep Maggie from playing in the house & took her outside for potty
    breaks on leash every time. That lasted for 8 weeks & was hard for someone
    who was used to opening the back door & let her run out on her own. I was
    afraid she would injure the other leg before the first was healed over enough
    to take her weight.

Prayers for Zoee to heal up well as she stays at your Mom's house.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Eleanor Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Taz_Zoee View Post
    I know, the thought keeps crossing my mind that it could get worse if we don't do something about it NOW. But I do feel comfortable that my mom is limiting her activity enough that further injury should not happen.
    Oh no, I'm not saying you could be wasting time and it might get worse. With Lacey's first one, we kept her on leash and on meds, it didn't get better and when we did have the surgery done, the vet said it never would have healed on it's own. So we wasted a couple of months trying to get it to heal and it never would have. But if your vet manipulated it and took xrays I'm sure you're doing the right thing. I hope Zoee doesn't have to have surgery.
    Forever in my heart...

We actually decided (this past Friday) the best way to do this would be to take her off all meds (Previcox and Tramadol). This way we can see true results and the pain won't be masked by meds (there is a section on the website explaining this). Of course if she is showing extreme pain my mom will give her the Tramadol at night. We are taking it day by day and will do whatever is best for her as far as pain goes. Just in the two weeks she's been there my mom said she is not limping as bad as the first week she was there. So there already seems to be improvement. And this was before we decided on the stricter limited activity plan! So I am hopeful.

Thanks so much everyone for your support! It means the world to me.

I will get to see her this Sunday when I go to drop off Taggart for a week. Then again on on the 23rd when I go to pick Taggart up.

Just fyi if you are thinking of ordering some supplements from springtime they are having free shipping until January 11th and a lot of their dog supplements are buy two get one free.

Quote Originally Posted by wolf_Q View Post
    Just fyi if you are thinking of ordering some supplements from springtime they are having free shipping until January 11th and a lot of their dog supplements are buy two get one free.
    Good to know! Thanks!

ETA: Amy, I do not know which supplements were used in the cases you talked about. Can you please give me the name of the supplement?