Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cold Weather Foods

Cold Weather Foods

I know "cold" is relative, depending on where you live and what you are used to. We finally had a couple cold days up here, though it's gonna warm back up, they say, and be in the 40s tomorrow.

But what foods do you crave when cold weather sets in?

Liquids count, too, as I suddenly want hot chocolate, though in the warmer seasons never drink chocolate milk!

And of course I crave things I can no longer have, like a good beef stew ...

How about you?
    I've Been Frosted

Chilli con Carne
    Nancy

All things work together for good to them that love God.
    (Romans 8:28)

I've been defrosted-- Thanks, Sana

Lentil soup

The crock pot comes out when the cold weather sets in...
    `````````````````````````
    I love my furkid Neko!

^TAMA^ 8/24/00 - 4/27/12 Thank you for being in my life I love you always and forever

Frito Chili Pie. It's a cold weather, comfort food for me. It reminds me of my mom. Even though the fritos are high carb and I limit them (I'm diabetic) I do throw a handful in a bowl of chili every so often and toss in a little cheese and have a quick version of this. My mom's was baked in the oven, but I never take the time to do that.

I will miss you forever, my sweet Scooter Bug. You were my best friend. 9/21/1995 - 1/23/2010
    Goodbye, Oreo. Gone too soon. 4/2003 - 9/12/2011.
    Farewell & Godspeed, sweet Jadie Francine. You took a piece of my heart with you. 11/2002 - 8/8/2016
    Charlie kitty, aka: Mr. Meowy. Our home is far too silent now. 2003-6/14/2018

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Cold weather = crock pot meals here too. My favorite would be chill, followed by beef stew, with chicken and potatoes with mushroom gravy coming in next. Hot drinks would be coffee (which I don't normally drink), and hot chocolate. It's not so much the drink that I like, but I love to wrap my cold hands around a mug filled with a steaming hot drink.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

I love homemade soups, and crock pot meals also. Stews, chilli, chicken and potatoes with mushroom sauce (recipe that I got from Pom) . Also love Lasagna and Shepherd's pie.
    Asiel

I've been frosted--- thank you Cassie'smom

I've been Boo'd----

Soups and stews I love to have when it is really cold. I make chili and also I make something I call hamburger soup. I just saute onion, garlic, carrots and celery, add hamburger and brown that and then add beef stock. It is simple and comforting to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Barbara View Post
    Lentil soup
    My sister makes the best lentil soup! I had some for dinner two nights ago, and have another frozen one ready to go. YUM! Course, I love lentils in the summer time, too.

Living in California it doesn't get THAT cold here. But being a native of the state it is still cold to me.
    I am not a soup eater.....no matter how cold. But in the winter I like to get hot chocolate from Starbucks. In the summer its frapps!!
    Bruce eats soup all winter and sometimes into the summer. No thanks!
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

Soup. Campbell makes a great creamy chicken & dumpling or their
    baked potato with cheddar & bacon bits. Both are good with crusty
    french bread. Yum.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Homemade Chicken Soup - always hits the spot!!!

I just made this again, really like it!

Creamy Jerusalem Artichoke soup

Olive oil
    6-8 Jerusalem Artichokes
    1-2 potatoes
    1 small onion
    1 clove of garlic
    vegetable or chicken stock
    salt
    pepper

Cut a small onion and a clove of garlic in smaller pieces and put it in a pot with a bit of oil.

Peel the Jerusalem Artichokes, cut them into pieces and also the potatoes and put them in the pot. Add about 1/2 liter of vegetable stock or chicken stock. Bring to a boil and let it simmer for about 25 min. covered with a lid. Stir now and again.

Let it cool off a bit and pour into a blender and whirl it around. Pour it back into the pot and add about 1 dl of milk and/or cream and heat it. Add some salt and pepper to taste.

In case you don't know them, here's a picture. They come in a more round version, too. Get the ones without too many "bumps on them, they're so much easier too peel.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/jerusalem_artichoke

There's a thread with other good soups, called "Recipes - Soup" And there's one for Crockpot's, too.

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Stews and potatoes! I crave starchy carbs in the winter; which just means I have to spend more time skiing or on the treadmill!

I drink way more tea in the winter too.

We do get real cold here. January is usually our minus 40 month. So far this winter has been ridiculously mild. It might get close to 32F/0C this weekend. That's at least 20 celcius degrees warmer than our normal daily high temperature for this time of year! I have six cords of wood to split and stack this weekend so I'm quite happy that it's not -40!
    If you are lucky enough to find a way of life you love, you must find the courage to live it.
    --John Irving

I so miss soup. Sigh.

Good cheesy macaroni and cheese - the real stuff - is another thing I sometimes crave.

And oatmeal with raisins, which I can have, and keep on hand just for those moments!
    I've Been Frosted