Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need to get Zam fixed.. HELP!

Need to get Zam fixed.. HELP!

I just got off the phone with the Humane Society and they are not taking any more appointments for their low cost spay/neutering until JANUARY!!!!

I don't know how often females go into heat and don't think I can put it off for that long.

I asked if they knew of any local clinics that did, and they said no.

I've heard PetSmart and PetCo sometimes do low cost fixing but I don't have any of those stores near me.

I just know it'll be expensive at my vets and it's not something I can afford right now.

I can't find any local clinics online... am I looking in the wrong spot?
    ~Kimmy, Zam, Logan, Raptor, Nimrod, Mei, Jasper, Esme, & Lucy Inara
    RIP Kia, Chipper, Morla, & June

Do you know how old Zam is? Will she go outside at all? Are there any unneutered males that she could come in countact with?
    If the answer to the last 2 are no, then personnaly I'd wait for the low cost spay. They may also be willing to put you on a cancellation list that if someone gives up their earlier appt. they'd offer it to you.

I don't know of any other low cost places to look...except for checking around at local feral rescue groups and see who they use to spay. I know most feral rescue groups have some kind of low cost spay worked out due to the number of cats they catch, alter and release.

the only reason why I didn't wait to have Scout fixed was I was worried about him spraying. I don't know much about females in heat...but I don't know if it would necessarily hurt her to wait til January if you can't afford it now. As long as she doesn't go outside and isn't around other male cats..I don't think it would be a problem...Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Have you called different vets to get a price? Of all the vets around here, the highest was $243 and the lowest was already my current vet at $70. Good Luck!

Tiff and the ever expanding krewe
    Scout, Gigi, & Bixby -the kitties
    Rory, Lola, Jax, Max, & Lulu -the ferrets

She just had a litter of kittens about 10 weeks ago (see my thread under Cat Rescue). She hasn't made a run for the door, but I wanted to have her fixed just in case she did ever get out.

There is at least one cat that MAY be an unaltered male. He/she drives the cats that live indoors above me CRAZY! But I haven't seen the said cat around in months.

I just don't want to wait and then find out there is a male around and have her go crazy on my apartment.

I'll call my vet and ask them how much they charge. Hopefully they won't recognize my voice. LOL!

Well, the first thing might be to find an old fashioned Yellow Pages and start calling and asking for price quotes.

Second, as long as the cat is indoors (and providing you don't have an unneutered male at home) - you can certainly keep her inside; she'll just be really annoying every once in a while. (If your cat is in heat - trust me, you'll know )

Finally, although I've never done this "procedure" - I understand that a female cat can be artifically stimulated and this will end the heat - for the time being. I don't know of anyone who has done this - its one of those things I read in a book once.

Good luck!

When I first got Abby she was in heat - I made sure Hanna got spayed as soon as I could because when Abby was in heat, I couldn't sleep at all. And then Bo, who is neutered, got really interested in Abby...I had to get her spayed. It was the busy season where I worked (greenhouse) and it was tough because I was working from 6 AM to 7 or 8 at night - but without sleep, my life was miserable. I finally wrangled it so I could drop her off and pick her up at the vet's, and finally got some relief.

Abby was awful in heat - loud, constant meowing, at all hours.

When you call your vet, explain that she was a stray and you've taken her in and have caught one of her kittens and are trying to catch the other two and......you were wondering if they could help out on the cost of the spaying. You never know, it might work. Efrat's vet chipped in a lot when one of her outside kitties had a broken leg, so it doesn't hurt to ask.
    Tubby
    Spring 1986 - Dec. 11, 2004
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    Fall 1988 - Jan. 24, 2007
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012
    RIP Sweet Monkeyhead Girl

Kim,

Here are two places to call.

C-Snip Mobile Van 616-364-1633 (you'll have to leave a message for them to call you back.

Vicki's Pet Connection in Grand Rapids. 616-363-4128.

Good luck and let me know how you make out.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

Our vet neutered Butter, free of charge, when he realized that I was taking him in as a stray............

I know all vets aren't so generous, but make sure you explain your situation and maybe you'll get some sympathy.

Logan

I agree with the previous posts...I bet if your vet wont offer you a deal...he/she may know where you can get one.

Let us know what they say.
    ...RIP, our sweet Gini...

Well.. they knew Zam and her kittens were strays when I took them in for checkups and they charged me full price for Zam's vaccinations and for having Eli tested for Feline Lukemia and giving him some Capstar...

so I think they'll charge me full price for spaying...

Originally posted by Chinadoll
    Have you called different vets to get a price? Of all the vets around here, the highest was $243 and the lowest was already my current vet at $70. Good Luck!
    Expensive! We have some really good spay and neutering programs going on in my state (with the No More Homeless Pets in Utah). I applied for a $20 discount when I had Nebo done. They also have a mobile spay/neuter clinic that travels the state and has excellent prices. Of course, we also have the real expensive regular vets, the ones with *normal* prices. I called around when I was getting Nebo done, and I never saw $243! I know he's a dog, and a male, lol...but still. It's more expensive for females, and larger animals (dogs)...but my friend had her german shorthair spayed, and it was only around $70 normally. I'd just keep checking around, and call all the vets you can! Most vets will do a discount for stray animals, I hope you are able to find something like that.

It's no wonder people don't get their pets spayed/neutered! IMO, doctors need to lower their fees. I partially blame them for the overpopulation as well as the irresponsible pet owners. The cat that bit me on Sunday was roaming around pregnant. That tells me that her humans probably can't afford vaccines either. In CT when I was in animal rescue, if someone wanted to adopt one of our cats or kittens, if they bawked at the adoption fee, they were turned down. Why? If they can't afford the fee, they certainly can't afford the upkeep. It made it real easy to weed out the undesireables.

Kim, how did you make out with those phone numbers?

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

Donna,

I called the Mobile Spay/Neuter and left a message.

Both are Grand Rapids numbers which is an hour and a half west of me.

I'm going to call the Humane Society back again and make an appointment for January and find out if they have a cancellation list that I can get on.

Good idea.