Many years ago I had a pure black and totally beautiful cat. He looked like a miniature panther (his name was Stevie) and I dearly loved him but couldn't keep him because my living situation abruptly changed. So I took him to a Cat Protection Society and they adopted him out after only two weeks. He was two years old. I thought of him often and quite honestly, I felt like I failed him. A few years after that I was in a situation to have a cat and that's when Rusty and I found each other. (He passed away Christmas Eve after 13 years). He was just a kitten and I was very happy with him, but I found myself divided, like I couldn't give him my whole heart because a piece of it still belonged elsewhere and I kept thinking about the other cat. But one morning I looked at Rusty's face and it dawned on me that he didn't deserve only "half". He didn't do anything wrong and he deserved ALL of it, without guilt on my part. And I realized I could do that without diminishing my love for Stevie. From that moment on I didn't "short-change" him anymore, he got all I could give. Thankfully I had him less than a week before I came to that realization and I can honestly say I cherished every moment with him after that, right until his passing. That was the tough part for me about getting another pet. Maybe this is part of the issue with your grand daughter. I don't know. Just thought I'd share this, maybe it will help. Good luck with your adoption! He or she is going to be one lucky dog!