Thread: Severe Overweight

Severe Overweight

My love is over weight she is about 19 lbs . I keep making excuses on why she is that weight like all indoor cats are bigger, she is a senior , we live in a small apt and a lonely kitty ( which is why she is getting a friend). she is very senstive to any diet food so it leaves us with regular kitty food. She plays like a normal kitty I dont know what else to do .

It's simple, but not easy. Cut back her portion size. Prepare for complaining, and try to get her more exercise. It will be better for her in the long run.
    I've Been Frosted

Yes, free feeding or just not measuring the food can lead to obesity. I haven't free fed any of my cats in years. My 4 oldest cats are on grain free diets of both dry and canned and my 2 youngest are on a very good quality dry food that has some grains but no corn or wheat in it. I feed them 4 small meals a day. At first they didn't understand but now they know the routine and they finish everything. My Ziggy is still a very large girl. She gains weight very easily so I really have to watch her. Good luck.

Switching to a grain free food will help, and this is a high quality food, much better to her. Then don't free feed. Limit the amount put out, and only put it out 2 or 3 times daily. (My vet insists cats only need to eat twice a day, however I have to remind him my cats have not read his books! Three times is required here.)

I switched to grain free 4 years ago, and all the pudgy ones slimmed down nicely, with no effort on my part. All except Crystal, who continues to expand. She currently looks like she swallowed a basketball. Since I have 2 with health issues requiring lots of food, I have yet to figure out how to get her less food. I have increased her exercise. I tried feeding her in the bathroom, door closed, and then picking up all the other dishes before letting her out. That worked for 4 days, until she started "feeling it," and then she refused to go in the bathroom!

With luck, your kitty is not like Crystal, and a few changes on your part will take care of the issue.

The food I use is Taste of the Wild. My cats love the Rocky Mountain formula (venison and salmon) and detest the Canyon River formula (trout and salmon). As a cat owner, I'm sure you have experienced their vocalizations when they disapprove of a food! LOL Here is a link:
    http://www.tasteofthewildpetfood.com/products/

You can learn much about cat food by reading some reviews. You / your kitty may prefer a different grain free food. Read some reviews on this site:
    http://www.petfoodratings.net/cattable.html

Good Luck! Hey, any chance of a photo? We LOVE pictures, here on PT! LOL

There should be measuring directions on the cat food container. Use those.

I'm trying to get my two big guys down to a reasonable weight. It takes time. Just keep at it!
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Today is the first day I actually only gave her the right amount of food and I got stuck working a double so my poor girl could be home alone starving right now and I dont even know.
    The picture will be up soon we were moving this week and had to get cable and internet switched over also. She is soooooo gorgeous
    Snickers MY LOVE 8-1-2002
    Lucille 7-1-2003 10-10-10 RIP my love
    My Momma loved both of my babies and MAY YOU RIP I MISS YOU MORE THAN ANYTHING 1-16-1963 7-12-2010

How is it going now? Any updates?
    I've Been Frosted