Thread: New Yale Study out in today's news

Hybrid View

New Yale Study out in today's news

Today's news includes a new Yale study on how parents should handle toddler tempter tantrums.

IT IS USING POSITIVE REINFORCEMENT, just as we use training the puppers!

Honestly, when my kids had a temper tantrum I just walked away. When they realize they are not getting any attention at all, the realize there is no point.

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    I guess that I'm one of the lucky ones since neither of my kids ever threw a tantrum. If they even started in that direction, all it took was "the look" from me or their father and they straightened up. Neither one ever received any physical punishment either, except an occasional swat on a clothes padded butt.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

It's funny - they are just discovering this now?

A friend of mine - wife of a pastor, had three children, and the older two were shyer kids, and pretty even tempered, and Diane was also a nurse, so dealt with people in all sorts of distress on an everyday basis. Their third child was a few years younger than the other two, and the opposite temperamentally from her siblings. When she - we'll call her "Jane" - was three, she threw her first temper tantrum, and Diane said it was all she could not to burst out laughing at her! She said "The sight of this little bitty person, red in the face, stomping her feet and screaming that she wanted 'Coke - not milk' in the middle of a state fair featuring every kind of dairy product imaginable was just too ridiculous! I just and to pull myself together, take her by the hand and walk on, calm as can be."
    I've Been Frosted

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    It's funny - they are just discovering this now?

A friend of mine - wife of a pastor, had three children, and the older two were shyer kids, and pretty even tempered, and Diane was also a nurse, so dealt with people in all sorts of distress on an everyday basis. Their third child was a few years younger than the other two, and the opposite temperamentally from her siblings. When she - we'll call her "Jane" - was three, she threw her first temper tantrum, and Diane said it was all she could not to burst out laughing at her! She said "The sight of this little bitty person, red in the face, stomping her feet and screaming that she wanted 'Coke - not milk' in the middle of a state fair featuring every kind of dairy product imaginable was just too ridiculous! I just and to pull myself together, take her by the hand and walk on, calm as can be."
    That is funny Karen. I had the same thing with my two. The first one, my son, was an angel. Then...along comes my daughter. It isn't fair to have the easy one first. We never smacked our kids at all. My ex, their dad, was abused by his mother as a child so he did not believe in that at all and neither did I for that matter. My kids sat in a chair when they misbehaved.

I saw the segment about trantrums. I babysit my friend's two and a half year old boy, Brady, who has Autism Spectrum Disorder. He has meltdowns. When he does, I walk away from him. He eventually stops and goes about his playing.

I wish I had THIS much patience and insight with my own kid, who is now 35, married and deleriously happy!!! Of course I'm sure my courses in Adolescent Psychology helped as well!!

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!