Thread: Bed Monster

Bed Monster

My husband and I have a game we play with our sheltie, we call it Bed Monster. We will place our hand under the blanket and Camille will try and find it, we usually grab her front paws. She grabs our hand and does this ferocious growl, we're thinking "Oh Yeah! You are a real threat". She loves another game called Soccer, we do this indoors when it's raining or snowing. We'll stand in the kitchen and kick a tennis ball or soft ball down the hallway where she is standing and try to get it past her, she does pretty good blocking it-she will bring it to us to kick again. When we are outside, she plays kickball & frizbee. She's a very active sheltie, definitely keeps us active too.

Oh, be warned! My Dad used to play that same "Bed Monster" game with our Great Dane. Much too late, he realized that she then assumed any lump in the blankets was going to "get" her - even if they were lumps she created by napping on a smoothly made bed. She would then make pre-emptive strikes on those nasty lumps - and chew holes in the blanket! My Dad realized he had created the world's biggest (95-pound) moth, and my parents quickly got rid of their electric blanket, so poor Gracie wouldn't electrocute herself! Blankets were never safe again!

When I first took our new pup into the house, I took her around on a leash, as we have three cats. One unfortunate cat got to meet lady when she jumped up onto our bed and found Pippin sleeping under the blankets. Needless to say, pippen didn't take to Lady too well after that. If anything moves under a blanket now she assumes that it's a cat until she proves otherwise, which can make for a fun game.

If I remember right there's been a few times when LH has been under the covers too and I've said, "Where's Daddy?" and she would snuffle around under the blanket until she found him.
    RIP Lady, Thursday's won't be the same without you to cuddle with by the fire

Quote Originally Posted by Vixis View Post
    My husband and I have a game we play with our sheltie, we call it Bed Monster. We will place our hand under the blanket and Camille will try and find it, we usually grab her front paws. She grabs our hand and does this ferocious growl, we're thinking "Oh Yeah! You are a real threat". She loves another game called Soccer, we do this indoors when it's raining or snowing. We'll stand in the kitchen and kick a tennis ball or soft ball down the hallway where she is standing and try to get it past her, she does pretty good blocking it-she will bring it to us to kick again. When we are outside, she plays kickball & frizbee. She's a very active sheltie, definitely keeps us active too.
    Vixis, I can only presume you do not have cats! This game would be deadly in my house, if we did this on purpose. Bad enough that the cats think feet are "Bed Monsters"~ LOL

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    If I pull the blanket up over my head, Sparky will dig me out. He can find any reason to dig, and must dig and make his nest in the blankets every night. He's really comical to watch. If he digs and roots around so much that he gets all tangled up and he gets buried, then he'll just lay there. Doesn't bother him in the least to be the hidden one.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~