Thread: Clip Claws...

Clip Claws...

I have a huge problem clipping Autumn's claws, actually I can't even get near her to do them.

Also she is a problem getting her into the carrier when she has a vet visit. I have cancelled numerous vet appointments because of this. I do take out the carrier days before time so she gets used to it and she does go in and out of it but when the day comes, I have a huge problem. I have had to scruff her but sometimes she gets away.

Anyway are you able to clip your kitty's claws or get her/him to a vet without a major problem.

"Happy is the home with at least one cat" - Italian Proverb

Every life should have nine cats. – Anonymous

"I've been frosted."

At our house clipping nails is a two person job. I can clip a couple of the cats without help, but it generally goes smother with two people. My husband holds the cats and I clip their nails.

As for crating her, how big is the crate? I used to work at a boarding facility and I saw a lot of cats fight the smaller crates. It was always much easier to get cats into larger crates. We'd often sit the crate upright, so the door was pointed toward the ceiling, and while holding the cat's back against our chest and supporting/holding their back feet, we could lower them into the crate. Once the door was shut we could slowly and gently lower the crate into it's correct position.

Also, I have a cat who doesn't like crates, but loves and willingly goes into a sherpa-bag like the one pictured below.

- Kari
    skin kids- Nathan, Topher, & Lilla

Try it one paw at a time when she is sleepy, try every time you see her sleeping, go over to her and touch her paws. Then some time, try clipping one paw, the next time just pet her, then she'll get used to it.

Whatever you do, don't try doing all 4 paws at once!
    I've Been Frosted

I have a ritual every Saturday night (most women would be out on a date, but not me!!). My 20 lb. cat Spikerdude is the only one that is squirmy. I have to literally lay him on his back in my lap (he's too fat to get out of it). He has calouses that grow out of his pads that have to be clipped too. It's very tricky and he hates it!!

They have these clips out that grasp the nap of the neck on a cat that will allow you to use both hands. Might want to try that!

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

Thanks for all your suggestions but if you knew Autumn you would realize it is a no win. I have two carriers, a large hard covered one and I do stand it upright so I can slip her in from the top. The smaller one is a sherpa as is shown but that was difficult to get her in even thru the top which also opened. This little gal is a toughie, and presents a huge problem when she needs to get to the vet. I will just have to fight with her each time and only the vet will be able to clip her nails. I couldn't ask anyone to help me either since she runs from strangers.

"Happy is the home with at least one cat" - Italian Proverb

Every life should have nine cats. – Anonymous

"I've been frosted."

Small room or hallway

I try to trap my victim in a small room or hallway and shut the doors. Once they are trapped, they usually give up. Have you the ability to trap her in the bathroom? Feed her a couple of days in a row, in that room then on the day of the office visit, you should have no problem. You should also wear gloves if she is a biter. As far as clipping nails, I've given up. I count on them using the scratching posts and keeping their nails in good shape that way.

It is much easier to have two people to do the nail clipping, if that is possible.

We all feel your pain!

I usually have to scruff my kitties and put them in the carriers bass ackwards. I drop them in from above. I have to cage Spunky first if I am taking multiple cats out. He usually knows what's up even if I don't project.

I can't trim their nails. I might try some of the suggestions.

Good luck.
    Anne
    Meowmie to Lucy Lou and Barney, and Aunt to Timmy (RIP)

Former kitties now in foster care: Nellie aka Eleanor van Fluffytail (at a Cat Cafe), Lady Jane Grey, Bob the Bobtail, and Callie. Kimi has been adopted into another family that understands Siamese. HRH Oliver Woodrow von Katz is in a Sanctuary.

I'm Homeless, but with resources, and learning to live again.

RIP Timmy (nephew kitty) May 17, 2018, Mr. Spunky (May 10, 2017), Samwise (Dec 2, 2014), Emily (Oct 8, 2013), Rose (Sept 24, 2001), Maggie (Fall 2003)